If you Like It, SAY SO !!!

sail7seas

In the past, I always carefully thanked people who made our cruise special when completing our end of cruise comment sheets. I always said what a great time we had in a general sense. I didn't necessarily specify (for example) that we like the tradition of the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party. That it's great for guests to have the chance to meet Captain and have their photo taken. Enjoy having Officers introduced to them who they will see throughout their cruise.

It's nice to know what the GRM looks like. If you pass her, it's good to know who she is.

BUT, on our recent cruises, I have changed my style of how I write those comment sheets.

I still thank those crew who have gone so out of their way to make our cruise more special but I now make a definite point of saying specifically things that I want to see continued.

It never occured to me in the past to think we have to say, Keep Traditional Dining. We assumed it would be there for our next cruise.

Don't Assume anything anymore.

Whatever it is you really like on the ships, say so. Whatever you want changed, say so.

SAY IT so those on the ships and those in Seattle who read these comment sheets (and I KNOW they are carefully read) get a fair representation from all guests.

If only the people who want to roam into the dining room whenever they want in their jeans say that, that is what Seattle thinks people want and that is what we shall get.

If they also read the other side's position, maybe we will maintain traditional dining for those of us who want it.

If you want to continue having the Baked Alaska Parade, SAY SO.

If you want Lido open 18 hours a day, SAY SO.

If you want to continue the tradition of Afternoon Tea, SAY SO. If not, you could be waving goodbye to it because no one commented they care about it so why offer it anymore.

If you want to continue having the Captain's Welcome Aboard Party, SAY SO.

If you really care about complimentary 24 hour Room Service continuing to be available, SAY SO.

If you really appreciate HAL has beach towels out at the pool and on the gangway, SAY SO..... (and promise you will return them to the ship after your day at the beach!!! ;), SAY SO.

We have to be proactive about continuing to have the traditions of cruising HAL ships many of us care about.

We cannot assume that things will remain as they are and there is no need to be proactive about commenting in regard to things we like. If people just take 24 hour Complimentary Room Service for granted, how do they know it is an important part of some people's cruise. Something that makes them choose a cruise rather than a resort vacation. SAY SO.

Anyone agree with me or are you already doing this?

Excellent point, Sail. We've only used the cards to comment on the Crew - but will definitely go further in the future. We love the "Traditional Cruising" and would hate to see too many changes.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Donna

A VERY good point Sail. it appears that HAL and other lines are listening to our comments, and they dont take anything for granted. So neither should we. I know that traditional dining and the afternoon tea were favorites of my wife but neither of us made any mention on our comment cards. We praised those who had gone above and beyond in taking care of us for the week which is very important too. But not commenting about what you love about HAL, their service or traditions, things that make the vacation special, they have no way of knowing.

Hi Sail,

Thank you for getting me to think about these issues. I always write very detailed comments but never thought of reinforcing things that we'd like to see continued. You are absolutely right about not assuming that the status quo is going to remain so. this seems to be a time of change and I'm seeing a lot of experimenting with traditonal things that I'm not exactly happy with.

I will certainy take your advice and get in the proactive line behind you.

GN

Sail: I think you are absolutely right about this. We had all best be as proactive as we can be in expressing ourselves about the traditions of cruising which are important to us.

If we don't let our thoughts be known, the natural trend to constantly update, refine and streamline the industry will continue unbridled and over time we will wind up with something vastly different from what we have come to love about cruising.

You make a valid point. We always place comments on the questionnaires, but we haven't been specific about the things we have, as you say, taken for granted that will be there for us next time.

Thing is, there isn't enough room on there for everything. Maybe the thing to do is to write all that out in advance then tape or staple it to the questionnaire before turning it in.

I still thank those crew who have gone so out of their way to make our cruise more special but I now make a definite point of saying specifically things that I want to see continued.......

......Whatever it is you really like on the ships, say so. Whatever you want changed, say so.

SAY IT so those on the ships and those in Seattle who read these comment sheets (and I KNOW they are carefully read) get a fair representation from all guests.......

We have to be proactive about continuing to have the traditions of cruising HAL ships many of us care about.....

We cannot assume that things will remain as they are and there is no need to be proactive about commenting in regard to things we like. If people just take 24 hour Complimentary Room Service for granted, how do they know it is an important part of some people's cruise. Something that makes them choose a cruise rather than a resort vacation. SAY SO.

Anyone agree with me or are you already doing this?

Amen, Sister Sail! I take my cue from you!

Excellent advice, Sail! We can't make any assumptions about what may or may not change. You're absolutely right to encourage us to make our desires known before it's too late.

Jim - what we've done is fill out the smaller cards during the cruise to compliment specific crew members. I don't know if there's a name for these, but we get them at the front desk. It saves a little space on the final survey if we've already made a lengthier comment. We can basically list the folks we like and not have to give an explanation of what extraordinary thing they've done for us. When we've used them to comment on small problems, we've gotten a quick response to follow up and if it is fixable, it's fixed. I agree there's not nearly enough room for comments at the end of the cruise. I bet they've had to get a magnifying glass to read my writing when I'm trying to squeeze in everything I have to say.

Wow! What fantastic advice! I love the way things are now and would certainly not like some of the changes that could happen. I've heard that HAL is looking for ways to increase revenue onboard. (Perhaps ala Princess that you have to pay for fresh squeezed OJ or for ice cream at the ice cream bar)

Outstanding! Too often we only comment on those things we'd like to see change and simply take for granted those things we like....

This is so true.......

Let's acknowledge the fresh flowers, the Yum-Yum Guy and all the stuff that is dear to us.

Been doing that since day 1 .....

Altho I doubt that some at the corporate office ever take those things seriously. True, there are a few from HAL that read these boards, and maybe that's how they're getting a majority of feedback.

But after my most recent experience on Noordam, I think it's no use to waste my ink. Just my humble opinion.

Good reminder, sail. This has been mentioned before, and since then I've made it a point to make such comments on my card; I use small print and double space. Still don't have enough room!

What's difficult is to think of everything that matters so much. When you start to list it all out it become mind-boggling! Perhaps a few examples with the note that you like the traditional things HAL has provided, and a mention that you hope it continues that way?

I like the idea of a pre-printed letter that can be attached! Good work, Jim!

Thanks for starting this thread, sail.

Excellent advice Sail, :)

Like they say the squeeky wheel gets the grease. While everyone sits back and just takes things for granted, the people who want things changed seem to be the ones filling out the comment cards and saying so, and in some cases getting their way.

What an excellent idea! we will be sure to do this in the future. With the small space allowed I have wondered if they really wanted much feedback from pax. Do you think a printed attached letter would reach the powers that be? I know of some cases in organizations where staff just tore off things like that and forwarded only the company form.

And it's usually the most lame things imaginable .... :rolleyes:

But they get them don't they ???

That why I agree with Sail. You want something , or want to keep something the way it is , "open a mouth, say a word " as my Mom would say. *LOL*

Or in this case write it down :)

Like many of you I've used my comment sheet to mention some general things and gotten the little cards at the desk to write a "favorable mention" for each special crew member--sometimes I've turned in 20 or so of these. But I confess I've never thought to list all the things that made the cruise so special.

We hear all the time about people who have a problem that they bring to the attention of HAL through a fax or letter--the address of the best person to send that to was posted on this board recently. What would happen if a lot of us wrote up our love letters (the one that next time we'll take with us and attach to the comment sheet per Sail's idea) and sent them into the office? Good idea? Bad idea? Please advise. While we've been cruisin' for a very long time with HAL, I'm new to the politics of it all.

I hadn't thought to jot down notes before we go on our cruise(s) but that's a good idea. In advance of our cruise, I can think about the traditions and things we particularly enjoy, jot them down and hope to find them still a part of our cruise.

I would be so upset for traditions to disappear merely because none of us thought to comment how much we like it while those who don't care about it are constantly saying 'get rid of - - - - - - (fill in the blank).

I hadn't thought to jot down notes before we go on our cruise(s) but that's a good idea. In advance of our cruise, I can think about the traditions and things we particularly enjoy, jot them down and hope to find them still a part of our cruise.

I would be so upset for traditions to disappear merely because none of us thought to comment how much we like it while those who don't care about it are constantly saying 'get rid of - - - - - - (fill in the blank

It is a very good idea to write it down in advance because right now everything is fresh in your mind . Usually by the last day of the cruise when you are filling the card out your mind is so full of prepareing to disembark that there will be things you will forget.

Archived