Carnival differences from RCCL, others

rin1

I just got back from my first cruise on the Carnival Victory. Had a great time and I am looking to book another cruise in the near future.

The problem is that I expect all cruises to be cookie-cutters of my experience on the Victory, which I know will not be the case. What differences will I see if I book on RCCL? Other cruise lines? Difference ships in the Carnival fleet?

I know the question is broad, but any input would be appreciated.

When comparing cruise lines, you really need to look at what makes each line unique. For example, NCL is known for Freestyle. RCI is known for all the shipboard ammenities and loyalty program. Carnival is known for being the "Fun Ships."

Since you just got off the Victory, a cruise on one of RCI's or NCL's oldest ships probably won't measure up. But a cruise on the NCL Pearl or RCI Liberty Of The Seas may be a big improvement.

Personally, I don't like Carnival because of the gawdy interior designs and, what I think, are poor layouts. I had a bad experience with Freestyle and was turned off to NCL. Currently, RCI is my favorite.

I guess I'm thinking more of ambience stuff. How are the shows? What are the cruise directors like? What should I expect in the dining room (in food, other guests' attire, song/dance etc.)? Are some lines better at enforcing their own rules than others? How comfortable is the bedding? Is room service free? What are soda/alcohol policies? Are there limbo/hairy chest/etc. contests?

That's the kinds of stuff I'm looking for. I was thinking of Freedom of the Seas (or Liberty) just because I'm interested in the ammenities.

I guess I'm thinking more of ambience stuff. How are the shows? What are the cruise directors like? What should I expect in the dining room (in food, other guests' attire, song/dance etc.)? Are some lines better at enforcing their own rules than others? How comfortable is the bedding? Is room service free? What are soda/alcohol policies? Are there limbo/hairy chest/etc. contests?

That's the kinds of stuff I'm looking for. I was thinking of Freedom of the Seas (or Liberty) just because I'm interested in the ammenities.

My recent cruises have only been on RCI, with the most recent on the Freedom Of The Seas. So I'll tell you what my experiences have been.

1. The shows were pretty good. There was one show on Freedom called "Once Upon a Time" that I think is a definate must see. Also, the ice shows on the Freedom/Voyager Class are extremely popular and very good.

2. Cruise Directors are among the best in the business.

3. Dining Room is hit-or-miss. Some people love the food, others don't. Personally, I think the food was good. Chops Grill is excellent. Portofino is also very good. Johnny Rockets makes a great alternative lunch spot.

4. Enforcing rules is another hit-or-miss. I've seen them strictly enforced on some ships and not on others.

5. RCI is mostly done with a complete bedding upgrade. Freedom was one of the first with it. The beds are A+

6. Room service is free on RCI

7. Alcohol/soda prices seem average. I really don't pay attention, so I can't quote specific prices.

8. RCI has Sexy Legs Contests, Belly Flop Contests, etc. Games shows that are a must see are The Love and Marriage Game Show (like The Newlywed Game), and The Quest.

Feel free to click my webshots link for Freedom photos if you like.

Good Luck.

Carnival's food is MUCH better except in the specality pay-extra restuarants, RCI has great specialty restuarants. both have good shows. bedding is good on both, Room service you tip the steward just like Carnival, though ofcourse you pay extra for alocholic drinks and sodas.

RCI has instead of the hairy chest and stuff the bikini, the men's sexy legs and belly flopper contests.

If you go on a voyager class ship on RCI, you get to attend one ice show, although you can iceskate yourself during the daytime most days,there are also other things like inline skating that Carnival does not have.

the Love and Marriage show is the same on both lines and all other lines I have been -the same tired old questions like the most unsual place you have made whopee and does hubby look like a volkswagon with two flat tires or a mach truck when he gets out of the shower. I wish they would get some NEW questions.

When comparing cruise lines, you really need to look at what makes each line unique. For example, NCL is known for Freestyle. RCI is known for all the shipboard ammenities and loyalty program. Carnival is known for being the "Fun Ships."

Since you just got off the Victory, a cruise on one of RCI's or NCL's oldest ships probably won't measure up. But a cruise on the NCL Pearl or RCI Liberty Of The Seas may be a big improvement.

Personally, I don't like Carnival because of the gawdy interior designs and, what I think, are poor layouts. I had a bad experience with Freestyle and was turned off to NCL. Currently, RCI is my favorite.

Great points Aquahound, I am sorry you were turned off by freestyle. Was it one of the newer ships? Those not built for freestyle just are not the same. I too think Carnival ships are a bit too gaudy for my tastes.

to the OP, most of the mass marketed lines are very similar even though they all have a little nitch all their own. One thing to remember, normally nothing will compare with your first anything: kiss, boyfriend, house, child, car, etc. You will always be comparing. This doesn't mean your next cruise won't be a wonderful experience, it will just be a little different. NMnita

To most of us, the CD makes little difference as to how we view a cruise. In fact this question came up about a week or so ago and most of us could care less about him/her. The entertainment will be similar on any of the mass marketed lines, NCL will give you a much better selection of places to eat while RCI will give you more on board activites. The soda policy is about the same. As for Alcohol, none will let you bring it on board anymore. Carnival just changed their policy and actuaully has the strictest. It may not have been in affect when you cruised. As for enforcing rules, I hope all lines will. there is no reason to have policies if they are not going to be followed and enforced.

Limbo and hairy chest contests are pretty much reserved for Carnival but RCI has some similar contests. Room service is free on all mass marketed lines, but I am sure you found out on Carnival, the selection isn't all that great. Of course you will always want to tip the person who brings the room service to you.

The dress code for all lines except NCL are similar. NCL has a little more relaxed code. There are no formal nights per say on NCL. You can dress if you like (well hopefully everyone will dress) but casual is the norm.

I am not sure I know what you mean about the song and dance? I guess you are referring to the wait staff entertaining you? RCI will offer about what Carnival does, NCL doesn't have the dancers etc because of freestyle. Hope this helps answer your questions. Food quality is too subjective to pick a clear cut winner. Booze and soda prices will be about the same on all lines. NMnita

Rin1 - Carnival and RCCL are more alike than they are different. I was on both this past year. I much prefer Carnival for many reasons.

• Carnival cabins are the largest in the industry.
  • To me, as a retired chef from N.O., Carnival's cuisine far outshines RCCL's offerings, both in preparation and presentation.
  • The crew and staff are about the same.
  • The production shows and other entertainment about equal.
  • One little thing...On Carnival, I have complimentary espresso and cappuccino w/all three meals each day in the dining room. I had to pay for them each time on RCCL.
  • My last RCCL cruise cost only $35 more than what I generally book on Carnival. So very little difference there.

Hope this helps?:)

I am sorry you were turned off by freestyle. Was it one of the newer ships? Those not built for freestyle just are not the same.

It was on the Norwegian Sea (Seaward). They had just gone to the Freestyle concept. On that particular cruise, the employees, most notably the dining room wait staff, were completely disorganized and frustrated. The pre-paid tipping was also a new concept for mainstream cruising. It was mandatory. And, I had the feeling the staff did not try as hard because they were already paid.

My very next cruise was on the Monarch Of The Seas and the difference was night and day. Since then, I've been "loyal to Royal."

I'm sure I'll try NCL again in the future. But for now, I enjoy it when my waiter knows exactly what I want and when I want it. I like that personal service.

Carnival needs to find a new interior decorator before I try them. ;)

It was on the Norwegian Sea (Seaward). They had just gone to the Freestyle concept. On that particular cruise, the employees, most notably the dining room wait staff, were completely disorganized and frustrated. The pre-paid tipping was also a new concept for mainstream cruising. It was mandatory. And, I had the feeling the staff did not try as hard because they were already paid.

My very next cruise was on the Monarch Of The Seas and the difference was night and day. Since then, I've been "loyal to Royal."

I'm sure I'll try NCL again in the future. But for now, I enjoy it when my waiter knows exactly what I want and when I want it. I like that personal service.

Paul, I will let you know how I like NCL in July. It has been a while since I have cruised with NCL. My last cruise was on the Norway. Loved the ship but the food and service left a lot to be desired so I am anxious to try the Freestyle concept. I will always be loyal to RCI but will branch out every once in a while and try something new. RCI won me over after my Navigator cruise in 04. The service and crew was the best that I have experienced on any line and since then RCI has delivered each and every time. Can't say that about Carnival. That is one line that I have no desire to cruise again and I do agree that they need a new designer. The ships are just becoming more and more tacky. The Freedom is proof of that.

Here is a recent photo tour of the Carnival Freedom.

http://www.shipparade.com/

happen to be or was very fond of the Sea (Seaward) but certainly it wasn't designed for freestyle and especially when the concept was so new. Yes, I do hope you try again in the future. I can understand your loyalty to RCI. We are that way about NCL. We have cruised RCI< CElebrity and HAL in the past few years, but keep coming back to NCL. It is just a personal thing and everyone has his/her favorites. Of course for us, our service has been lacking on the other lines except our first Celebrity cruise. We just hit less than outstanding table wait staff people. NMNita ps I like that LOyal to Royal....

rin1, glad to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise on board the Carnival Victory. Cruising is a great experience, and a very good time. Carnival is a very good cruiseline, but so is RCCL. I believe that you should try RCCL just to get the experience and taste of another cruise line. I have been on 5 different cruise lines and have never had bad cruise. Yes, I like some lines more than others, but they were all great vacations. I am not loyal to any line, but just enjoy being onboard ship. My goal is to experience all of the common lines.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your first cruise. We were on several Carnival cruises over the past several years. Our last was on the Conquest, and that was great. We recently took a look weekend and to be different booked a RCCL. We will never go back to Carnival again. We were on the Splendour and it was decorated really nice. We felt like we were treated like Kings and Queens. Even my 13 year old son noticed how much better the service was. Everyone was like, what ever they could do to make things better, they would. I have a picky eater, and one night they even brought him three different dinners to try to see which one he would like. I thought the food was good and the free room service was even better. Having a hot complete breakfast delivered to my room each day at the time of my choice.. that was wonderful. All it cost was a tip to the room service guy/girl. Good luck on your choice, but the four of us love RCCL. I think Carnival is like the Kmart and RCCL is like the Macy's of crusing. Both have good things, but one is higher quality than the other.

Cathy

Archived