Recent Galaxy Cruisers!

Marie-Claude

I'm calling all recent Galaxy cruisers for help!

We are considering going on the Holiday cruise on the Galaxy - it's a 13 night cruise in the Caribbean. The best cabin available is a category 5 ocean view.

From reading some of the recent reviews, it seems that the cabins and ship may be in serious need of refurbishment...

If anyone has been in an oceanview cabin recently, could you please enlighten me? 13 days is a long time to be in a bad environment... We don't need everything to be brand spanking new... but musty smells in the cabin doesn't sound too good...:o

Our other option is 10-day on the Emerald Princess, but this ship is soooo big... I would much rather be on a smaller ship.

Thanks!

MC

If you read the more recent posts, you'll see you have nothing to worry about. They are continuing upgrading the ship. New bedding, new carpeting, new wiring. We sailed on her in February and the ship looked nothing like what I have read on the boards. Is she perfect no. But we could see the work being done during the port days. Empty ships are easy to work on.

Go and have a great time

Category 5? Is that deluxe oceanview on the Panorama Deck? If so, we had two of those cabins on the March 26 sailing. Great deck -- very quiet and extremely clean and well-kept (along with the rest of the ship). We had cabins 8221 and 8223 -- the former had all of its carpets recently replaced, while the latter only had portions of the carpeting replaced (it was obvious where the new patches were since they were so much more brightly colored than the rest of the flooring). Very clean rooms. The bathroom sinks had these mysterious light brown stains in them, but that didn't affect anything at all. No funny smells, and everything worked perfectly. New bedding in both cabins -- quite comfy. The sofas had not yet been replaced, but not a big deal; I don't think we ever sat on those things during our entire 11-night cruise. Lots of storage and closet space. The window in each cabin was large, and while not always 100 percent clean (streaks were all outside; inside was always fabulously clean), we were still able to look out and enjoy the views.

You will love the ship. Don't worry about Galaxy being in any condition less than wonderful. She was a joy to sail on, and we look forward to returning ... hopefully very soon!

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Linda

Galaxy is alive and well!

We sailed her on 3/16 and had a Sky Suite. They were working 24/7 on repairs, replacements and just about anything you could think of. They painted the crew areas on Sky deck - I don't mean "patch work" I mean painted the entire area. They also replaced all the wood railings around the Sky Bar area. Let me tell you, we sailed this ship when she was a year old and, even though she's now almost 11, she's in great shape. We loved the size and the crew.

I would have no problem sailing this ship again. If you go, check out Orville the bartender. He is the best we've ever had on a Celebrity ship. If he's at the Sky Bar just ask if you're at Orville's Fun Bar. We renamed it on our cruise!

Enjjoy!:D

Pat C

I would agree that Galaxy is in great shape. DH & I were in a very nice category 6 cabin on Plaza deck in February. Our carpeting and bedding was new. DH usually complains about the beds, but this was the most comfortable cruise ship bed we've ever slept in. There was new carpeting and upholstery just about everywhere in the public areas onboard. There was absolutely nothing about this ship that would make me hesitate to recommend it for a 13-night cruise.

I have to say that this is a relief...

Most of you sound like seasoned cruisers, so it is reassuring to hear that there is ongoing refurbishing happening on Galaxy. New bedding sounds really nice and new carpeting would help a lot in refreshing the stateroom!

Would any of you have a picture of a cabin??

Again thank you... off I go to make deposit!!

MC

Last summer (August 2006), the Galaxy really needed a refurbishment. The pooldeck, chairs and beds were in bad shape. BUT, Celebrity has done a terrific job in january/february. The Galaxy looks wonderful and in much better shape than last summer. You'll enjoy your cruise on the Galaxy, it's a lovely ship, even last summer BEFORE the mini-refurbishment.

We were on the same cruise in February as Usha (hi Elaine!) and we loved the Galaxy. I thought the ship was in great shape, and, having been on multiple Millie-class cruises, I can honestly say that, if I had to choose between the Galaxy and a Millie-class ship, I'd actually choose the Galaxy. I think her lounges are more intimate, the staff is awesome and the layout is somehow more appealing to me.

Don't hesitate to go on the Galaxy - it's a beautiful ship, and a nice change from the cookie-cutter Millie class (which, don't get me wrong), I love as well.

Archived