What is "Smart Casual"?

Yaya&Papu

Just got my documents for our upcoming cruise and we have the formal nights and then "smart casual". It is not the usual so many informal and so many casual, as well as the formal, but just formal and smart casual!!!

What is this and when did this happen?

Just got my documents for our upcoming cruise and we have the formal nights and then "smart casual". It is not the usual so many informal and so many casual, as well as the formal, but just formal and smart casual!!!

What is this and when did this happen?

It's a very recent development. This new dress code officially takes effect in May, but there have been reports on this board that it's already taking place on some ships and sailings. "Smart Casual" means slacks and sports shirt for men, and skirt and trousers with blouse for women. (No printed T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops, or shorts in the evening, per HAL's website).

Please click here for a link to HAL's online information regarding the new dress code.

By the way, I'm intrigued by your screen name, Yaya and Papu. May I ask what's the derivation of your name? :)

Karin

By the way, I'm intrigued by your screen name, Yaya and Papu. May I ask what's the derivation of your name? :)

Karin

Don't tell us yet; let us guess. I'm guessing they are grandparents and those are their nicknames. Any other players?

Is Smart Casual the same as Business Casual?

Now a days it is, since they've done away with the three categories of formal, casual, and (semi-formal, smart-casual). Seems to be the case on all main stream cruise lines.

If you're cruising to Aklaska -- I'd have your husband pack a sport coat. It can get chilly walking on deck, or in some of the lounges and he may need it to drape over your shoulders.

The dress code to me is all very confusing! Does this mean my husband will have to buy a jacket to wear with his shirt and pants in the evening? Also, will he need to buy a tie (he only has a tie that goes with his uniform)? If he wears pants and a shirt, ie no jacket and tie in the evening will he be turned away from restaurants/bars?

He will be wearing a kilt on formal nights so packing a dress jacket adds to our already restricted 20 kilos of lugguage each allowed.

I am ok as I have dress and linen trousers that can be worn in the evening but we may re-consider cruiseline if we need to look at buying additional clothes for my husband to wear only once or twice. We're coming from the UK and spending thousands on this vacation.

I've seen a few men wearing kilts on formal evenings and they look great! He does not need another jacket or tie. Other than formal nights, a nice shirt (without tie) or sweater and pants will be fine. Jeans are allowed in the dining room now but he'd most likely feel more comfortable wearing them to eat in the in the Lido restaurant, but he can wear them on casual nights in the dining room if he wants to. Don't buy unnecessary clothes. You don't need a ball gown. Many women wear long black skirts or pants with sparkly tops, or cocktail length dresses for formal nights. Other nights you could get by with an outfit you might wear to a nice restaurant. Your linen pants will be just fine.

You'll see a big variety of styles and unless you're really wearing something outlandish no one will notice or care or remember what you wear from night to night.

I think the suggestion meant to be sure you had something for cooler weather. A wrap or shawl for you on deck in the evening and something for your husband to wear to keep warm. Sometimes the dining room can be quite cool too.

Go and have fun on your wonderful vacation

GN

Be prepared for great comments about his kilt. He'll get a great reception and alot of compliments. HAL cruisers are very friendly people. We enjoy striking up conversations anywhere and everywhere.

BTW, you didn't say where you were going, if you did I missed it.

GN

We should be on Ryndam in Alaska 08 - I think it is 24 May. Just waiting on the dates being available for sale.

When we were in Hong Kong a couple of years back at New Year, we were invited to a party at quite a posh hotel. He wore his kilt to that but was mistaken for a football player (soccer) quite a few times and asked for his autograph and pictures! The locals loved it!

So did hubby but don't tell!

I believe "smart casual", at least as HAL defines it, seems to be a bit more relaxed than what I would call "business casual" (though I intend to where what I consider business casual on smart casual nights). Khakis and a polo shirt would fit their definition of "smart casual"--while when I go to work and wear "business casual", I would wear black/grey/navy slacks and a button shirt. Khakis and a polo seems to casual for "business casual" to me...

Well there were some good guesses! But s7s got it exactly right!

Although DH & I are not of Greek descent, our DIL is. That is what our grandbaby calls both sets of grandparents combined with our names, so

I am Yaya Ann and his other grandmother is Yaya Nini (Irini).:)

Well there were some good guesses! But s7s got it exactly right!

Although DH & I are not of Greek descent, our DIL is. That is what our grandbaby calls both sets of grandparents combined with our names, so

I am Yaya Ann and his other grandmother is Yaya Nini (Irini).:)

Thank you, Yaya Ann!:) (That Sail 7 Seas sure knows a lot, doesn't she?)

Bon Voyage on your upcoming cruise! Hope you and Papu have a grand time!

Karin

The dress code to me is all very confusing! Does this mean my husband will have to buy a jacket to wear with his shirt and pants in the evening? Also, will he need to buy a tie (he only has a tie that goes with his uniform)? If he wears pants and a shirt, ie no jacket and tie in the evening will he be turned away from restaurants/bars?

He will be wearing a kilt on formal nights so packing a dress jacket adds to our already restricted 20 kilos of lugguage each allowed.

I am ok as I have dress and linen trousers that can be worn in the evening but we may re-consider cruiseline if we need to look at buying additional clothes for my husband to wear only once or twice. We're coming from the UK and spending thousands on this vacation.

When we were on the Zuiderdam back in Feb., here's what we saw in the dining room....

Formal nights...75% or so had suits on and the rest were in a tux. I think a kilt for formal evenings would be perfect!

We had "informal" on our sailing, but there was no difference between casual and informal...

Those nights we saw...men in Dockers, polo-type shirts, dress-type shirts and slacks (I don't recall seeing any jackets-except the one my husband had on). For women...we saw lots and lots of sundresses, dressier capri sets, slacks, blouses.

There was one night (I think the night we were in Tortola), and the dress was "tropical" for the evening. We saw lots and lots of Hawaiian shirts and sundresses that evening.

I brought along nicer pants suits, and ended up not wearing them (I was glad I brought along extra capri-sets).

I sailed on the ole Westerdam twice and once on the ole New Amesterdam. On all three of these ships back in the 90's you couldn't get in the Dining Room without a Sports jacket. These were on Smart Casual nites. But back then on Formal Night Men were all in Tux's. I still have the programs that they slip under your door the night before giving you tomorrows activities. They addressed what the wear of the night would be. On a 7 day cruise we had one night as causal and that was the night of the Big cookout on Deck. I'm sure they have relaxed everything since then. I do know that jeans are specified not allowed in the dining room.

Archived