Orca Enterprises hard to book?

HALNEWBY

Try again. They are probably swamped.

Thanks to all for the support. I will keep trying. My cruise is one month away and I am starting to get worried that I am not going to get the shore excursions I want...

By the way, you're not the only one that has had trouble contacting them. I sent 2 emails, tried by phone, and finally booked with someone else. This was about a month or so ago, so it's been an ongoing problem this year.

I would call late in the afternoon/early evening (your time).

I have been sending emails for the past three days and calling them at least five times per day at different times. Still no answer...

Thanks to all for the support. I will keep trying. My cruise is one month away and I am starting to get worried that I am not going to get the shore excursions I want...

If you are concerned about the time crunch, perhaps consider a different operator? If you do a search of these boards, I know there were at least 2 other tour operators which were mentioned with high regards. Good luck!

Two weeks ago I sent an e-mail and heard back from Orca Enterprises within hours. When I called, a woman answered on my first call, after three rings. There must be some kind of fluctuation in their staff availability. I would say keep calling.

I e-mailed them a few times and then had luck calling in the late afternoon, EST. They told me that they are swamped with phone messages, so don't expect them to call you back. Call late in the day, and you'll probably get them in.

Just call them in the afternoon. I kept on hitting redial until someone answered the phone.

Glad that worked for you! I run a business and if I were as unavailable as Orca Enterprises seems to constantly be, I would be out of business. And I travel a LOT. But I am still very accessible even when I travel.

I too would agree to try a different vendor. The two mentioned above have rave reviews.

If you are concerned about the time crunch, perhaps consider a different operator? If you do a search of these boards, I know there were at least 2 other tour operators which were mentioned with high regards. Good luck!

Flame away, but the other 2 "venders" seem to have their recommendations based on people who haven't even gone with them yet???? I have only seen one person who posted who actually want on a tour with one of them.

Flame away, but the other 2 "venders" seem to have their recommendations based on people who haven't even gone with them yet???? I have only seen one person who posted who actually want on a tour with one of them.

Oh nooooo...I did not intend my post to be a "flame" against any vendor (especially one highly recommended by BQ who is truly the "Queen" of Alaska tips ;) and thank you for your help with my trip).

Perhaps I should have made it clear I have not been to Alaska yet. I was not recommending ANY particular vendor...just the OP seemed to be concerned about a time crunch and thought if he/she was truly getting anxious, another option might be considered.

Just call them in the afternoon. I kept on hitting redial until someone answered the phone.

Redial technique actually worked, and go figure capt larry was the one who answered the phone!!! Thanks Everybody

Were/are you the only person who has posted here who has gone with any of the other vendors (not "venders"), or have you only gone with ORCA? I notice that you've been asked that question before but haven't seen an answer from you? Just curious?

Sam

OrcaFan posted that he has gone with Capt. Larry, Harv and Marv, and Alaskan Marine Adventures (Case): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9785466#post9785466 (post #40)

I have seen the most reviews for Orca Enterprises, a fair amount of reviews the past year for Harv & Marv, and one review (OrcaFan's) for Alaskan Marine Adventures. After this summer there should be a few more reviews of Alaskan Marine Adventures - one of which will be mine. :)

It took me a few day's to get through to Captain Larry back in Febuary but once I got through he was very helpful in setting everything up.

BQ has made many recommendations on these boards. For some excursions it is one company and for others she gives choices. It is up those reading her suggestions to decide what to do with it. Personally, I do not think it really matters if she has tried every company or not. I think the fact that one company has earned her repeat business speaks for itself.

No flames here. Just opinions, as most of this board is. I have better things to do with my time than repeatedly try to contact a vendor who will not respond, no matter how good or bad they may be. I have seen positive review of the other vendors mentioned (mentioned at least in above post but I know I have seen others). As has repeatedly been said on this board, even by BQ herself, their business is their livelihood for the Alaskans who run these operations. Even not having been on Harv and Marv or Alaska Marine Enterprises, I would be shocked if they did not give you an excellent tour. This is based on what I have read here for reviews, what I know of Alaskan tour operators in general and my experience in my travels to Alaska. Again, just my opinion.

Can't edit your post after a few minutes so I will start a new post. My issue is not so much with the quality of Orca Enterprises's tours, but how hard it is to book them. From this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=9258358#post9258358

it seems that Larry said things should go more smoothly now (March 1) that all the staff is back in the office. Obviously that is not the case. Maybe a clarification from Larry would be in order. On the other hand, operators of excursions have been banned from this board after posting so perhaps he is hesitant to do much if any more posting now.

I'll recommend Harv and Marv simply by their professionalism and ability to return emails, calls, etc. It's hard to make arrangements for an excursion if you can't get someone to contact you.

No, I haven't been on H/M's tour but you can bet when I return in May I'll let all you know how it turned out. If the correspondence, punctuality, kindness, etc. I've experienced from them is any indication, I have NOTHING to worry about.

And I'm not meaning at all to "flame" but while you frequently point out we've NOT been on those WE'RE recommending, you've never admitted NOT being on the ones we've recommended.

Honestly, do you get a kick back from Capt. Larry? And again, please refrain from flaming me. I've used much of your information on these boards to make plans for Alaska. I'm simply asking a question and making an observation, as did you in your post.

Archived