Help Me Figure Out What Surprise Alaskan Cruise To Give To The Misses!

hndmn4wf

Hi, was trying to plan a nice Alaska cruise for the misses and me of course she does'nt know it yet.

Could you help me out with these problems.

I booked a 7 night Northbound in August of 2008 on the Radience (JS) 1100 aft and I booked 14 night Ultimate for September of 2008 (GS) 1600.

I understand that Alaska is better to see in the summertime but September is a better for me to take off work.

I also understand that for most people 1100 is better than 1600 but look at what I'm getting for $352.83 more.

7 extra nights for 2, more ports of calls in Alaska as well as other places, more time in the ports of calls on some, Conceirge service, 3 C&A points and also more money off both sailings because of being a Platinum member.

I've heard that the room layout is the worse of all the GS on this ship and a small balcony and that 1100 like I said is better.

I know that the daylight hours won't be as long in September as August and the whether might be worse but I find it hard to lean toward the August one when September looks so good in some ways.

Also if I fly to Seattle instead of Vancouver airfare is about half the price including the air from Seattle to Vancouver and then use the US Direct.

Misses has always wanted to go to Seattle, so thought I'd take us there a couple days before the cruise and also good in case problems with luggage. Have a couple days to wait on it. and after cruise a couple days in San Diego and fly home form there.

Please help me decide for me and the misses that is getting this surprise cruise?

When does it get dark in September, as well as when does it become light? How bad can the weather be? How Cold?

Would we still be able to do all the excursions like Dogsledding, Glacier landing, Whale watching, Flightseeing, Emerald Lake, trainrides, etc that time of year if whether permits?

Is the conceirge service gonna? be not so good because I'm the only aft GS at back of the ship? Is this GS really that bad?

If did 14 night would it be inappropiate to wear any clothes twice? We never have but then again we've never gone longer than a 7 night cruise? With being around the same people for 14 days I did'nt want us to be embarrased by wearing same clothes, expecially if your dining with same people for 2 weeks.

Is it 3 formal nights for 14 night?

Also I'm worried about this? About 5 years ago I had to go to court (felony) because they said I owned over $1,000.00 in child support, well I proved I did'nt that the money was being paid/ taken out of my checks each week. They were suppose to drop the felony and while planning this cruise and hearing about Canada denying entrance to people with a record I thought I better check this out. I moved out of the state I lived in over 10 years ago but called the courthouse the other day and found out they never ever dropped the felony even though I was innocent, and now they say it's too late to deal with.

As for the misses she got a DUI 11 years ago, no one got hurt, first time it ever happened, she learned her leason and realized how wrong it was, never got jail time, first offence but these 2 things we have will cause Canada to throw us out of there.

So my question here is, With this US Direct I understand you need to be there at a certain time of day, on the same day ship leaves, and that you don't go downstairs when you get to airport because they say that's customs/immigration, Canada but isn't the upstairs Canada too? So would'nt they deny you entry to get on the ship? I don't have all the money now to pay fees to get this straightened out before I go.

I would be so dissappointed not to mention how the misses would feel!

Please help me out with all that I have asked? Hopefully this is it and I won't have any more questions.

I appreciate you taking the time and patience to read this to help a confused/worried person and his lovely misses out?

Thank you very much.

You are getting a lot for your money by going in Sept. MOST important is to be well prepared in your attire. Then if you hit foul weather it won't impact as much. But Sept. also has the worse potential for weather going past the first week. Dark by 7pm mid Sept. Glaicer dog sledding is usually over, but the rest of your excursion list is open.

As for your entering Canada, perhaps getting legal advice is the best approach since both of you look like you could potentially be denied entry?? I have a sister in law working at the Peace Bridge US side- she says Ca. are denying entrys in to Canada. With the scanning of passports and easy access to information, you might want to find out about this.

It seems like you and your wife would probably enjoy either cruise since it's the location in my mind that will be amazing. I guess it depends on how much you want to see some of the ports on the west coast of the US as well as the ports in Alaska. Since September is better for you to take time off work, then I would go with the 14 day cruise and enjoy the Grand Suite. I am sure your wife will be thrilled with which ever one you choose.

I can't wait to go on an Alaskan cruise and would choose the 14 day if it were an option for me. As a teacher, I don't have that option in the present time, but hope to someday be able to do that type of cruise. In the meantime, I will have to plan the regular 7-day Alaskan cruise, but will do one that is less port intensive so I get more time at sea.

Pretty amazing pricing.

Those are cabin numbers - not prices. :)

I think the Ultimate Alaska cruise has a great itinerary! We decided to do a 7-day cruise plus a land trip for our first visit to Alaska, but I could see doing one of the repositioning cruises in May/September for a subsequent cruise.

Thanks so far everyone. Anymore help would be greatly appreciate from anyone.

Is the conceirge service gonna be not so good because I'm the only aft GS at back of the ship? Is this GS really that bad?

If did 14 night would it be inappropiate to wear any clothes twice? We never have but then again we've never gone longer than a 7 night cruise? With being around the same people for 14 days I did'nt want us to be embarrased or make someone feel uncomfortable by wearing some of the same clothes, expecially if your dining with same people for 2 weeks.

Of course we wouldn't wear anything if it got dirty.

Is it 3 formal nights for 14 night?

So I take it this US Direct from the Vancouver airport the day of embarkation straight to the ship might not work for me?

Then I take it anybody with any kind of record can't use US Direct?

Thank you again.

On a 12-night RCI cruise, we had 3 formal nights - and I wore the same dress for two of those nights! :eek: I personally don't care if my table mates notice I wear the same outfit twice.

Sorry - I can't help you with your question about the concierge service - but you might post that question on the RCI board.

I say go for the 14 night cruise! September would be my preference b/c there are less school kids on these cruises and it's still going to be nice weather. Also, i woudln't take the chance on flying into Vancouver if you have prior charges on your records. It's not even worth it. If you fly into Seattle you're still in the US so you should be better off with that. Does your cruise stop at any Canadian ports? I dono how that would work, but maybe you might want to look into that. I wouldn't go flying into Canada without knowing for sure that you will get in :)

This is the itineary that we'll be doing on the 14 night. Was going to fly into Vancouver by way of AK Air and then use US Direct to go straight to the ship.

Would I be able to use US Direct you think under my circumstances?

The 14 night I see everyone says go with it, so I will take that into consideration.

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Hubbard Glacier

Icy Strait Point

Sitka

Inside Passage

Seattle

Astoria

Cruising

San Fransisco

Cruising

San Diego

and the 7 day Northbound is:

Vancouver

Inside Passage

Ketchikan

Juneau

Skagway

Icy Strait Point

Hubbard Glacier

Seward

As you can see they both are starting in Vancouver but ending other places. I would rather not do the one in Seattle. I like and have cabins for these 2. I need to really decide soon because have to plan the flights, motels, etc.

Thanks you again!

Also wanted to ask if it is very very crowded in the ports going on that last crusie of the year?

We're not shoppers but would like to get a few goodies and not take too much time doing it.

Would not want to have to take a long time in stores or trying to get somewhere because of so many people.

Thanks again!

i was on the NCL star last sept 17-24, at that time it was one of the last ships. store shelves were almost bare, lines (for the end of season sales) were over an hour long line for the registers. prices, on the other hand, were very good. many/most of the stores are closed during the winter and do a real "sell-out to the bare bones" sale.

day time temps were from 40 degrees to a high 50s. we had rain for 2 days, sleet during our whale watching. but the temps, even during the sleeting wasn't that bad. glacer bay cruising was beautiful, sunny..highest temps of the week.

dark by 7pm, sun started coming up by 6am. car rental in skagway was hard for many, the main vendor closed up on sept 15...don't know what they are doing this year? salmon runs are over, if you want to fish..it would be halibut.

on the other hand, the sights were wonderful...nothing was crowded (other then the stores) couldn't do as much in some of the ports, due to early sunset. but with planning, you can do a great deal.

We are doing that 14 day this year in Sept and can't wait...the itin is awesome.

Also...u can't possibly take 14 day/14night outfits for 2 people and stay within airline luggage can u??..Sooo of course, you would do laundry or recycle...nobody will care

Concierge service has NOTHING to do with where ur cabin is located. It's the same service for anyone who has the right to use it.

I agree with Budget Queen....check with legal counsel....I have a nephew who has a dui and he CANNOT go into Canada....That is one of the things that will keep you out. I wouldn't be stressing over which one until I find out if I could even legally do it!!

Archived