In Paris airport for 6 hour layover...time to sightsee at all?

Charles de Gaulle Airport is a bit out of the way... 45 minutes by taxi to the center of Paris and there isn't much to see in the area surrounding the airport. If you are transfering at Orly airport, it can take as long as 60 minutes to get to central Paris.

I suggest you just take it easy, grab a glass of wine, relax and look forward to your arrival in Barcelona :)

Yes - it's possible - but it depends where you are coming from with which airline and which airport you are.

If you are arriving by Air France from overseas at CDG-Airport:

your baggage will be transferred to your connecting flight.

you have to change the Terminal and will pass the train station.

I would use the commuter train RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles which is in the heart of Paris.

It's only 35 minutes away. From there I would take a cab and browse around to get some Paris air without any deep insights!!!

But to be honest: I would decide once you arrived.

It's strange in Paris: mostly you have to bus to the terminal. It takes quite long. You have to go through immigration to Schengen-zone. Walk quite long between the terminals.

Once you passing the train station and it's still five hours left I would go and spend two hours.

When you return about 90 minutes before departure of your next flight it should be fine.

Check here at RATP (Paris Transport Authorities) for more information about the train service between Charles de Gaulle-Airport and Paris.

Regards,

HeinBloed

IMHO 6 hours is not enough time to get into Paris,see much of anything,get back to the airport,do all the security checks etc.and comfortably catch your connecting flight.Could it be done,of course,but rushed,and if you got stuck in any kind of traffic or missed a train you would be in a bind.Explore the airport shops,have a nice meal and reduce you jet lag:)

IMHO 6 hours is not enough time to get into Paris,see much of anything,get back to the airport,do all the security checks etc.and comfortably catch your connecting flight.Could it be done,of course,but rushed,and if you got stuck in any kind of traffic or missed a train you would be in a bind.
I agree with every word of this. Don't do it unless you like living dangerously!

It's strange in Paris: mostly you have to bus to the terminal. It takes quite long. You have to go through immigration to Schengen-zone. Walk quite long between the terminals.

I agree that it takes a LONG time to change planes at CDG and that the process is often maddingly slow. I understand that it is a case of "so near yet so far," but even if you took the RER B train

each way (and there really is nothing interesting to see from the train itself--when above ground it goes through mostly grungy areas), you would have only a very short time in the city, looking at your watch the whole time. Save Paris for another time.

Les

We traveled through CDG in January. Our flight from Atlanta was slightly delayed, but in getting through CDG we completely missed our flight to Venice and had to be rebooked. First of all, unless I am traveling TO Paris, I will never, ever go through CDG again. It was the most confusing, messed up airport I have ever had the misfortune to use. Unless I was going to be there overnight I would not leave that airport.

I have to agree with the other posters. Last year we had a connecting flight thru CDG and had an almost 3 hour layover. This airport is the WORST laid out airport of any I have ever been through, and I've been through a lot. Even with three hours, and flights that were on time, we almost missed our next flight. On the return flight we again had 3 hours, and still did not time to even shop in the duty free stores. Depending on what gate you arrive at (and you obviously have no choice in the matter) you might have to go out through baggage claim, reenter and go through security again, sometimes twice, and use tram systems that are maddeningly slow and very overcrowded. After last year I said we'd never connect there again, but have no choice. This year we have a 5 hour layover and at least I'm not so worried about missing the connecting flight.

We just arrived back from Paris (CDG airport) and I agree with all the people who have posted about staying in the airport and not venturing to Paris. The signs at CDG airport are terrible. Luckily, we had a lot of time before our flight home. The security is really very thorough and longggggggggggggg. If you don't want to roam the airport and gift shops, why not pay a $50 fee for a day pass to use the "Executive" lounge for whatever airline you are traveling on to Barcelona. Most of them will gladly take your money.

We have a 6 hour layover in Paris on our way to Barcelona. Is it best to just stay put or is there anything to see around the airport if we get a cab?

Thanks!

carrie

Let's come back to blueseagirl's original question.

I am crazy enough that I would made it -

I even go to New York from EWR-Airport if I have a layover which is enough to buy a HotDog at Grey Papaya's...

So let my analyze the individual situation.

Subject you are travelling with Air France from the US to Barcelona

you will arrive at Terminal 2E

you will depart at Terminal 2F Schengen-Area.

First have a look here on these maps - go to page 5.

When you arrive at Terminal 2E you must go through immigration and follow to the public areas to go to Terminal 2F Schengen-Area.

Before you enter 2F Schengen-Area you should know:

only security check but no more immigration or re-check-in as you have already your boarding pass and your baggage is transferred to Barcelona.

Therefore 90 minutes is enough!!!

When you reach the public area immigration is done.

So you decide now if you have enough time to go to the city or not.

All other posters are totally right: Paris is no place just to spend 2 hours in - but I am crazy enough even to go to Paris just to be there one hour and breath the spirit of Paris and having there a cup of coffee some very nice cake in a French Patisserie or just to go to Lafayette Department Store to see the roof.

You need to be back 90 minutes before your flight leave.

You need to check out before when the train is leaving from Paris so reach comfortably the airport.

I am sure with a detailed planning in advance and the knowledge what you should expect when you do it -

maybe no more than a cup of coffee - some photos in front of the Champs Elysées - one original French croissant - a purchase of a Eiffel Tower souvenir for your family - a wow when you see the Louvre FROM OUTSIDE -

and to be prepared not to go if you are late out of Terminal 2E and there is no more than 5 hours left - I would do it. Less than 5 hours it's only good to have the cup of coffee and a photo in front of a Paris Street sign.

Less than 4 hours: definately NO!!!

But it's better to be there once for one hour - than never!!!

So it's up to you now as you know the conditions around your decision.

What I would never do: getting a cab in Paris as most of the time it could be dangerous to be stucked... that's why Paris had a great Metro-system. You just go underground to escape from the surface traffic.

Staying at Paris CDG to wait so much time is a horror!!! There is mostly no space enough for all. Even you are privileged to use the AIR FRANCE SALON ESPACE you better be prepared to have a seat of your own with you! The shopping mall is nice but so narrow that it makes no fun to do.

What you can do is to take the shuttle bus and wait the time at Terminal 1. It's the NON AIR FRANCE-Terminal and not so crowded as there are not so many transfer passengers. Some more space and when it's time you just return with the Shuttle back to Terminal 2F.

Anyhow you will decide finally: Decide once you arrived and passed the immigration.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Staying at Paris CDG to wait so much time is a horror!!! There is mostly no space enough for all. Even you are privileged to use the AIR FRANCE SALON ESPACE you better be prepared to have a seat of your own with you! The shopping mall is nice but so narrow that it makes no fun to do.

What you can do is to take the shuttle bus and wait the time at Terminal 1. It's the NON AIR FRANCE-Terminal and not so crowded as there are not so many transfer passengers. Some more space and when it's time you just return with the Shuttle back to Terminal 2F.

I've heard of people exiting to landside and waiting in the Sheraton hotel, which is the wing-shaped building in this satellite photo. It stands over the railway station, between 2CD (to the left on that photo) and 2EF (to the right). Zoom out to see more of the airport for orientation.

Just to clarify one thing: There are also many non-Air France airlines that operate from parts of Terminal 2 - it's not exclusively AF.

When you fly Air France from the US to Europe, you always change planes in Paris. As long as you are in Paris for no more than 23 hours (i.e. less than a day), you can arrange your connecting flight so that you can have an overnight in Paris without any extra charge. This works best on the RETURN flight.

I do this EVERY time I go to Europe (when I fly on Air France). And in fact, will be doing it again in a few weeks on my next cruise. The cruise ends in Venice. I'm catching a mid-day flight from Venice to Paris - arriving in Paris around 2:30pm. And staying overnight in Paris. Catching my 'connecting' flight to Miami the next morning around 10am. no extra charge - this is NOT considered a stopover since you are there less than 24 hours.

There is a Sheraton hotel built directly into Paris CDG airport. You can literally step off your plane, grab your bags and walk 2 minutes and be in your hotel. Check in, drop your bags in your room, go down the escalater and be on the train platform for the quick 35 minutes train ride to the city center of Paris. Spend the afternoon and evening siteseeing, then head back to the airport/Sheraton late that evening. Get a good nights rest (in a fantastically comfortable hotel), get up the next morning and be a two minute walk away from check in.

The Sheraton is a bit expensive, but the convenience is UNBEATABLE! If you are there only a day, there is no reason to haul all your luggage into town. Save yourself the hassle. Plus, rolling out of bed and already being IN the airport the next morning is priceless!

It's a beautiful thing.... :)

wow! thanks for all the opinions!! I wish I had known about the overnight idea - that is a great way to do it!! Too late now... And, I think I have decided after all has been said (and my husband NOT a risk taker!) to just wait it out at the airport and people watch! Isnt' it great what you can learn from this website!!

Archived