Bad Teen Behavior

I just returned from Legend of the Seas and one afternoon the bartender told me about some teen boys that stole a couple bottles of vodka from the ship's liquor and sundries store a few weeks ago. They went to the video arcade and let other teens join in on their loot and it didn't take long before they were caught(imagine that:eek: ). The bartender was not sure of the final outcome, but he did say the ship's Captain got involved and there was a meeting with the boys and their parents.

One story was they were removed from the ship and the other story is they were reported to the police in Tampa.

I would hate to be the parent of one of those teens.....Sounds like a awful situation all the way around.

I'm going to give my DD (16) a big hug - no she's not perfect but compared to that - we are blessed with a great kid.

I just returned from Legend of the Seas and one afternoon the bartender told me about some teen boys that stole a couple bottles of vodka from the ship's liquor and sundries store a few weeks ago. They went to the video arcade and let other teens join in on their loot and it didn't take long before they were caught(imagine that:eek: ). The bartender was not sure of the final outcome, but he did say the ship's Captain got involved and there was a meeting with the boys and their parents.

One story was they were removed from the ship and the other story is they were reported to the police in Tampa.

.... That both are true and that they were removed at the next port and they were reported to authorities in the states. Sorry not to be unsympathetic; however, that goes above and beyond just taking left over drinks by the pool or drinking in the room. That is out and out breaking the law in theft and contributing to minors.

My kids are not anywhere near that age yet; however, if they did something as stupid as this I hope that they are dealt with firmly and if that means that it cuts my vacation short because of something stupid they did, then so be it.

We have never been ones to "turn our kids loose" so as not to bother us and interfere with our fun times. I can't say the same for other parents. We have seen teens behaving poorly and often they are not disicplined. However on one cruise a family was put off the ship due to bad behavior of their child/children. Don't remember the details but that certainly would have my kid on the s*** list for a long time. I'm glad I never had that problem on all the cruises and vacations that my kids ( now grown) have been on with us.

I would rather deal with the police in Tampa than deal with my parents if I was caught doing that!

NYCRUISR - Out of pure curiosity, what's your definition turning kids loose? My parents gave me plenty of freedom on my past two cruises, especially the last one since I was older (though I had to check in with them regularly).

I would rather deal with the police in Tampa than deal with my parents if I was caught doing that!

NYCRUISR - Out of pure curiosity, what's your definition turning kids loose? My parents gave me plenty of freedom on my past two cruises, especially the last one since I was older (though I had to check in with them regularly).

Dan- I agree with you. I would be afraid to go near them if that ever happened to me! I would rather bring myself to the police then have my parents find out.

My parents always gave/give me freedom. They have never given me a curfew partly because they know that they can trust me to not do anything stupid that may jeopardize our vacation.

Wow!!! :eek: I guess its hard for me to imagine what kids will do these days. I'm glad they were caught and that RCCL did something about it.

I would really REALLY not like to be facing my parents if I was that teen :eek:

Yikes!

Dan- I agree with you. I would be afraid to go near them if that ever happened to me! I would rather bring myself to the police then have my parents find out.

My parents always gave/give me freedom. They have never given me a curfew partly because they know that they can trust me to not do anything stupid that may jeopardize our vacation.

We didn't give our son a curfew on the two cruises he's gone on with us thus far, as he was 18 and above on both (he's now almost 21). On first one, he came back to the cabin at 12:30 to go to bed since, as he put it, "there are too many 30-40 year-olds in the nightclub." LOL. Well, I guess that's one way of keeping him out of trouble :D.

On first one, he came back to the cabin at 12:30 to go to bed since, as he put it, "there are too many 30-40 year-olds in the nightclub." LOL. Well, I guess that's one way of keeping him out of trouble :D.

That's so funny! Maybe next time I find the night club overrun with college aged kids my DH and will split up and start flirting with them to get them to leave!

As far as the stealing alcohol, I have always had the feeling that the quickest ways to get thrown off the ship were theft and vandalism, regardless of the age of the perpetrator. Most other things seem to be ignored (or they give you a chance to improve your behavior), but stealing things and breaking things were just not tolerated at all.

Wow!!! :eek: I guess its hard for me to imagine what kids will do these days. I'm glad they were caught and that RCCL did something about it.

I would really REALLY not like to be facing my parents if I was that teen :eek:

Yikes!

"Kids these days" aren't the only kids that have ever stolen alcohol. These kids did something stupid and will have to face the consequences. I am sure alcohol has been stolen before by kids and adults but not all "kids these days" would go as far as to commit a crime to obtain alcohol.

"Kids these days" aren't the only kids that have ever stolen alcohol. These kids did something stupid and will have to face the consequences. I am sure alcohol has been stolen before by kids and adults but not all "kids these days" would go as far as to commit a crime to obtain alcohol.

Just a thought....have you ever tried to board an elevator which was full of "kids these days?" Overboard with the spotty little brats!!:p

Alan

Or overboard with the "Grummpy" old folks......:eek:

Listen to me, pal. I've got a Porsche zimmer, probably the most powerful zimmer in the world, and I'm not afraid to use it! You feelin' lucky punk?...go ahead and make my day (unless I need the bathroom, in which case, I hope you'll wait for me);)

Alan

Listen to me, pal. I've got a Porsche zimmer, probably the most powerful zimmer in the world, and I'm not afraid to use it! You feelin' lucky punk?...go ahead and make my day (unless I need the bathroom, in which case, I hope you'll wait for me);)

Alan

Gee I hope you are driving safely and respecting the speed laws in your "powerful car", and not jeapordizing innocent lives with your speed, arrogance and declining physical abilities............."the elderly these days, poor judgement and poor bladders!" It's okay - I'm one,too! lol!

Karen

Gee I hope you are driving safely and respecting the speed laws in your "powerful car", and not jeapordizing innocent lives with your speed, arrogance and declining physical abilities............."the elderly these days, poor judgement and poor bladders!" It's okay - I'm one,too! lol!

Karen

Ok..OK..so it's not an ACTUAL car, but it has 4 wheels and it gets me from A to B (albeit very slowly, so that by the time I've reached "B", I've forgotten why I set out);)

Alan

The kids who stole the alcohol, more than likely blamed it on others, and they were just the unfortunate ones to get caught. I wonder if the parents punished them, or was it one of those deals where "it wasn't my child", so I'll see an Attorney when we get home. How dare my "child" be accused of this.....after all, I paid for this cruise and they can have the run of the ship....unfortunately, this type of parent doesn't think about other people, either at home or on vacation. Their motto is "Little Johnny does no wrong" and if he does, I look the other way. I raised 4 children, and their motto was..."I better not get in trouble because I'll have to deal with MOM!":eek:

Wow that's funny. While in the General Store last week on AOS, the attendant seemed pre-occupied when I went to the counter to pay. He ran off to the back and cornered a teen with a backpack. He and another man, caught a teen trying to steal a bottle of alcohol and I think a carton of cigarettes. They took the items from him and told the teen to just leave. They didn't hold him or press any charges. He came back to the counter and apologized to me. He told me that he would be the one in trouble if the teen had got drunk after stealing the bottle. Kids, you have to watch them every minute at times.....

The kids who stole the alcohol, more than likely blamed it on others, and they were just the unfortunate ones to get caught. I wonder if the parents punished them, or was it one of those deals where "it wasn't my child", so I'll see an Attorney when we get home. How dare my "child" be accused of this.....after all, I paid for this cruise and they can have the run of the ship....unfortunately, this type of parent doesn't think about other people, either at home or on vacation. Their motto is "Little Johnny does no wrong" and if he does, I look the other way. I raised 4 children, and their motto was..."I better not get in trouble because I'll have to deal with MOM!":eek:

re: Stealing alcohol......

Kids that act that way have no respect or regard........they act that way at home not just on vacation...................and are a product typically of their parents who do not know the word discipline (or respect).

RCL doesnt tolerate vandalism I can tell you that. A couple of yrs ago, the cruise we were on, a 16yo boy threw a lounge chair overboard thinking he wouldnt get caught - not knowing there are cameras all over. The family was removed from the ship at the next port.

Teens stealing bar alcohol, my jaw dropped reading this!!!

Happy Sailing,

CruiseDivaNJ

...A couple of yrs ago, the cruise we were on, a 16yo boy threw a lounge chair overboard thinking he wouldnt get caught - not knowing there are cameras all over. The family was removed from the ship at the next port...

This chair saving thing is just going a bit too far. :p

We have never been ones to "turn our kids loose" so as not to bother us and interfere with our fun times. I can't say the same for other parents. We have seen teens behaving poorly and often they are not disicplined. However on one cruise a family was put off the ship due to bad behavior of their child/children. Don't remember the details but that certainly would have my kid on the s*** list for a long time. I'm glad I never had that problem on all the cruises and vacations that my kids ( now grown) have been on with us.

My parents turned my sister and I loose on every vacation....while we did sneaky things, we never stole or damaged property.

On the other hand, I keep my kids close to me. I expect them to act as human beings and not barnyard animals. :p But I have to admit, even though they get on my nerves (and I'm sure I get on theirs!), we are blessed with well behaved children who are thoughtful of others.

Or overboard with the "Grummpy" old folks......:eek:

It is kind of funny that you used that phrase "Grumpy old folks". A few years ago that is what my wife and I were called when we complained to a mother about her two boys, ages 10 and 12.

We were at a restaurant eating when we noticed frinch fries landing on the floor next to our table. This occurred several times.

We then saw the two boys throw some more in our direction. When we complained to their mother she said "boys will be boys". When I said they were a little to old to be doing that, she got mad and told the two boys "they are just a couple of grumpy old folks".

If they do that with there mothers knowledge, what would they do if she turned them loose on a ship.

It is kind of funny that you used that phrase "Grumpy old folks". A few years ago that is what my wife and I were called when we complained to a mother about her two boys, ages 10 and 12.

We were at a restaurant eating when we noticed frinch fries landing on the floor next to our table. This occurred several times.

We then saw the two boys throw some more in our direction. When we complained to their mother she said "boys will be boys". When I said they were a little to old to be doing that, she got mad and told the two boys "they are just a couple of grumpy old folks".

If they do that with there mothers knowledge, what would they do if she turned them loose on a ship.

I would have hit her upside the head with a dinner role. (First time without butter.)

Wow!! My 4 year old son knows better than to throw food on the floor!! Yes, boys will be boys, but if my boy did that he'd get smacked upside the head--by me. And if any of my kids were to ever steal anything, they are going to wish that that police are the only thing they will have to deal with.

Ok..OK..so it's not an ACTUAL car, but it has 4 wheels and it gets me from A to B (albeit very slowly, so that by the time I've reached "B", I've forgotten why I set out);)

Alan

Lol, cute. And, darn, I've misplaced my keys to my roadster,too...........I actually think I'd be a rule breaker on the ship but I keep forgetting to do it! lol

Karen

Archived