Sailing Solo on the Mariner

avalon1025

Hi,

I have in the past few years been sailing Seabourn and Silversea as a solo passenger and both the above lines do a great job of making you feel welcome (invites to dinner, etc). Just booked an Alaska sailing on the Mariner and thought I would ask how Regent is with solo passengers?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have in the past few years been sailing Seabourn and Silversea as a solo passenger and both the above lines do a great job of making you feel welcome (invites to dinner, etc). Just booked an Alaska sailing on the Mariner and thought I would ask how Regent is with solo passengers?

Thanks!

I have been on the Mariner and other Regent ships sailing solo, and have met many new friends. You will have a great time and come away with a lot of new cruisers.

Mike

There were several solos on my cruise to Alaska last year and the staff always paid them special attention. Dining alone if they wished it, or at larger tables if they chose. The staff, entertainment and others, looked out for them to chat and introduce to others, but only if they wished it.

I see you are branching out!

I see a number of solos on Regent, though not as many as on SS or SB, and they seem happy. There is not the nightly invites to a hosted table, though; especially because there are not that many hosted tables. (Style difference.)

Generally, you will have to find someone to dine with, rather than be invited to a table by the head waiter. A few years ago we would be asked if we would like to dine with others or alone, but of recent vintage that inquiry has seemed be offered less. Maybe others have had a different experience.

Either way, I enjoyed the Mariner. It is larger, but has a huge amount of space and some nice areas. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hello my friend!

Yes, with Silversea going to 200% single supplement for many of their sailings and having already lots of Seabourn sailings booked, I was thinking of doing a 7 night Alasaka on the Mariner...its easy from here in SF and a great rate! I actually spent 3 nights on the ship years ago and wanted to experience the new rebranding...hope you are well!

James

I'll be on in the next months...so far:

Paul Gauguin

Seabourn Legend

Dawn Princess (It's probably gonna hurt!)

Celebrity Something (undecided)

A couple of yachts (business, you know!)

I'd be interested in your Whisper and refit Mercury cruises...so little time!

avalon1025 - I believe the Mariner will start it's Grand Pacific Circle segments after Alaska. That is what is happening this year and for the past several years.

I travel solo on Regent, although I have never been on the Mariner. You shouldn't have any problems with feeling isolated. There are too many different ways to meet people.

Eric,

You will love the Legend, I had one of my best cruises on her from Rome this past summer. Looking forward to the Whipser, sailing from Venice to Athens (great itinerary). The Mercury left dry dock late last night and sailed from San Francisco today. My office is across the street from the dry-dock, and it did not look like they did too much to her other than clean and paint her bottom. Just got off the Infinity from Santiago to Ft Lauderdale and had a good time, but Celebrity really needs to maintain their ships. The suite was really run-down and the ship needed some deep cleaning. PS: Forgot the Noordam in a few weeks for a shorty cruise in the PNW. Well, my friend, hope you and the family are well and I hope we run into each other again on another great cruise!

James

Infinity is going to be having some work done. Mercury had a lot of soft goods and some interior work done. Noordam was a nice surprise (although the chairs in Pinnacle are grotesque and uncomfortable - such problems). The Legend cruise is a special one, see the Seabourn board. I wish I had the free time you do.

Mariner will be a more laid back cruise, but awesome scenary. Significant glacial retreat will probably bring Global Warming to the fore in your mind.

That said, hope you find a late night cigar or brandy buddy.

I have sailed on RSSC six times--three times solo, three with a friend or family member. On all three solos, it wasn't long before I was sailing with friends--it's very easy to meet and mix with people. Just circulate and chat at the parties (starting with the sailaway). At dinner, ask the maitre d' to seat you with others (I always specify "someone fun" and it's never failed me). Hang out in the bar in the evening. Now that RSSC is all-inclusive again, people do congregate there.

FWIW, later this week I leave for my 7th RSSC cruise--with a friend I met on an earlier cruise!

I just got off the Mariner last week. They are really good with singles. They will sit you with other people and even have activities for singles!:)

Also, the ship is absolutely gorgeous. It has a new coffee bar on Deck 5 open from 6am to 6pm and always has somebody there. You are going to have a great cruise and it is an absolutely wonderful ship!!!

Our widowed cousin accompanied us on our March 30 sailing. Although we included her in all of our activities she was still invited daily to singles/solo activities. She felt very welcomed and not at all uncomfortable. She chose several nights to dine with new friends.

Archived