Clocks on nightstand?

Obie

No clocks on the night stand. However the telephone (usually by the bed) has the time on its LCD display. We usually pack a travel alarm clock so that we can see the time more easily from within the stateroom.

Does anyone know about this? I don't want to pack a clock if one is already there

Thanks

Hi Obie, we rely on the telephone clock (and our watches) so that we don't have to pack a clock. The wake up call service is very reliable.

I have a small travel clock that we always take on the cruise. I have trouble with the clock on the phone so we just take that travel clock with us. It always stays in the suitcase between cruises.:D

Marilyn

Unless you have really good eyesight, you really can't see that clock on the TV, and to see the time on the phone, you have to turn on the lights if you wake up and it's still dark outside. I bring a travel clock that will light up if I push the button on top.

Always take an alarm clock. Don't want to be late for dinner or shore excursion. And if you get a lighted small clock it can serve as a night light in those DARK rooms when you have to get up in the middle of the night to do your business.

Portable LCD (battery operated) work best for cruising. I learned the hard way the plug in alarm clocks are not reliable as the current on the ship does not have a constant 60 cycle at 120V. Some days my clock ran fast some days it ran slow. I still enjoy being able to open my eyes at night and have an idea if it is 2:00 AM or 6:00 AM.

My cell phone is my alarm clock and my watch illuminates in the dark.

My husband does that, but I told him on our next cruise, he better keep his cell phone turned off onboard the ship. He has T-mobile (got their service because it works in Europe) and now that Celebrity is offering phone service on all their ships he doesn't need phone calls at $4.99 a minute. With our luck, someone that didn't know we were on vacation would call us.

We also bring a travel alarm clock - it has a digital display, folds up, and weighs practically nothing. We got it free with some magazine subscription and it works beautifully. It even keeps two different time zones so we can know what time it is back home (great on those European or transatlantic cruises).

My husband does that, but I told him on our next cruise, he better keep his cell phone turned off onboard the ship. He has T-mobile (got their service because it works in Europe) and now that Celebrity is offering phone service on all their ships he doesn't need phone calls at $4.99 a minute. With our luck, someone that didn't know we were on vacation would call us.

We also bring a travel alarm clock - it has a digital display, folds up, and weighs practically nothing. We got it free with some magazine subscription and it works beautifully. It even keeps two different time zones so we can know what time it is back home (great on those European or transatlantic cruises).

That actually happened.We were one day out to sea out of Hawaii when my phone rang at 7:00 am.For one brief moment I thought it was a family member calling. I couldn't see the number because it was still dark in the cabin so I answered it only to find out it was a friend from work asking to see me later in the day.It cost me $20.00 for that call.

Also remember, if you turn off your cell phone after you leave the US and you're already connected with an international network, if someone calls you and is directly connected with your voicemail, this call will be charged according international rates. So if you only bring along your cell phone to use just in case of an emergency, and you want to be shure you don 't want to pay unnecessary international costs, turn of your phone before you leave your provider's network. Once you turn it back on, you' ll be in the international system.

Archived