Developmentally disabled passengers

:) I have taken 12 cruises with people diagnosed with developmental disabilities but never on Holland. I am taking a cruise with friends on Westerdam May 30. I usually check out the ship and passengers before taking the group. I am a retired social worker and volunteer as the trip's planner and administrator

I noticed on the treads that some said they don't like to travel with large groups. There were 32 on our last cruise. Advisors/chaperones are volunteers.

I always get comments from fellow passengers that our travellers are a great group. My question is how would Holland be with our folks? How would fellow passengers be with these great people?

Thanks for your help!

A group of 32 would have virtually no impact on any ship, and especially on one the size of the Westerdam. It's the hordes of 400+ that tend to take things over.

What a wonderful thing to volunteer yourself in this way! Kudos! Enjoy the cruise.

:) I have taken 12 cruises with people diagnosed with developmental disabilities but never on Holland. I am taking a cruise with friends on Westerdam May 30. I usually check out the ship and passengers before taking the group. I am a retired social worker and volunteer as the trip's planner and administrator

I noticed on the treads that some said they don't like to travel with large groups. There were 32 on our last cruise. Advisors/chaperones are volunteers.

I always get comments from fellow passengers that our travellers are a great group. My question is how would Holland be with our folks? How would fellow passengers be with these great people?

Thanks for your help!

You will have a great time on Holland America. Go and enjoy!

I am the parent of 2 developmentally disabled children and would love to hear more about your wonderful trip. I hope and pray daily that when my children are adults they will be safe, happy, and have social opportunities like traveling with a group of friends. Are you associated with an organization? Maybe that will be a "cause" of mine as my children age, never thought about that, just trying to get through the day to day right now. You have inspired me!

When you make your reservations for your group, you or one of the other chaperones talk directly to HAL handicapped/disabled department in Seattle and explain to them just what you are planning and what any special needs may be for your group. As individuals, we have found that department to be of great help, particularly in letting ship's personnel know the groups special needs. Not knowing the ages or the development stages involved, you may also find that Club HAL onboard can be helpful in partially caring for some of the younger, higher functioning people. And you have no worries about acceptance; the groups that people seem to object to are in the hundreds and tend to take over certain venues on the ships.:)

When some of us comment we don't wish to sail with large groups, we are referring to groups in the high hundreds. We have been on a cruise when about 800 of the 1,250 guests were part of one group. It severely impacted our enjoyment.

A group of 32 is so small it has no impact at all on the rest of the guests and I can't imagine anyone having any negative feeling about it.

Fatal errors and WSOD Syndrom

Anyway, I'll try again.....I agree with all others that a group this size will not have an impact. I suggest that cruises during the winter and spring school breaks be avoided to obtain the maximum enjoyment from the cruise.

We cruised RCI with a group of disabled adults (Downs Syndrome) onboard. They were the sweetest group of people.

My sister was a judge in the hairy leg contest; she awarded the medal to one of the young men in the group. He was so proud of the medal. He wore it everyday for the rest of the cruise.

The group added a special something to our cruise.

As a former director of a group home system for people with developmentally disable adults and children I commend you for taking on such a huge responsibility as what you have planned. Also as an exclusive HAL cruiser I think you have chosen the right company to make sure that you and your fellow cruisers will have a great time. The crew is some of the best people I have ever met. And I know they will go out of there way to make sure everyone has a good time and is well cared for. As far as fellow passengers I have to say the same thing. I am sure you will get more help and assistance and smiles from each and every one of them then you have experienced anywhere before. Good luck on your trip and I hope you will be sure to tell us more about it in the near future and I for one would love to hear about how it went when you return.

What a great thing to do!

Yes, I agree that Holland America Line would be a wonderful choice for a group of developmentally disabled passengers. The room stewards and dining stewards are just lovely people - very caring and concerned that every guest has a wonderful time. They remember how each guest likes his meat cooked, when to bring your coffee during dinner...all the little touches that mean so much to guests.

Best Regards,

Julia

Wow! I'm overwhelmed with all the support and interest.

After posting message, drove to Lake Tahoe. When turning on my computer, discovering that you are such a caring group has touched me.

I'ld love to tell you about the group. Our last trip was on the Carnival Spirit February 27 sailing to Acapulco, Zihuatanejo, and Manzanillo. We had a great time.

Our local newspaper did a feature on the group. To read

search Pleasanton Weekly.com, click on March 30,2007 at bottom of page. To retrieve the story with pictures, under date at top, click Section 1 and scroll down to Living Page to Everyone Can Party on the High Seas.

Boatlover, Two of our guys are from the same family. These parents have done such a great job. The men now live in their own home with support. I'm available to answer your questions and concerns. I was a casemanager with this population for over twenty years.

Homosassa, We have cruised on RCL. I'm sure others travel with people with disabilities. One of our famous guys is Robby, who entertains at the talent show as Elvis. Carnival wouldn't let him be Elvis so he and George did Greese Lightening. Some of the travelers love to partiscipate and love those metals.

I'm thinking about a cruise to the Caribbean in November, 2008 with the group. Because of your enthusiasm for Holland, if I can get a good group rate, I'll certainly consider this cruise line.

Thanks so much,

Sue

I Think this is wonderful :)

My wife has been a manager of a group home for the developmentally disabled for 20 years.

They do wonderful trips for these folks, not as big a group as the OP has though.

In the past few years the have been to Cape Cod, Virginia Beach, Disney World and even London .

In fact this year they too are looking into a cruise.

Have a great time , whatever you decide

Archived