So where do YOU stay?

pampaul

We're thinking about flying in the day before our cruise leaves and we'd like to know where to stay?

Also, we would need some kind of transportation from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship terminal.

What's your best advice?

Last week, we stayed at the Best Western Oceanfront -- we were NOT happy. It's a bunch of what appears to be old hotels that Best Western has bought up and is trying to tie together. But only one building is on the ocean and two or three other smaller ones are a block or two back. We were in an old two-story motel building that was listed as "oceanview." Only if we went out onto the second-floor walkway could we get a distant glimpse of the ocean. The Radisson Resort at the Port is the most popular (the one with the Webcam) but we haven't stayed there. We used the Cocoa Beach Shuttle from the airport -- less expensive, a little late picking us up -- and from the hotel to the port.

Hi,

we staued at the Radisson. It has all new sleep number beds which is nice. Before they got them their old beds were like rocks!! but these are very nice, we are going to stay there again before our next cruise.

They have a shuttle there to take you to the port. You sign up for it when you check in.

We drive to the port but friends who fly in, usually rent a car to drive to the hotel, then return it on the morning right in Cocoa Beach and take a shuttle from the rental place to the port. I think it is Hertz or Avis that offers this servie. Then when you return they pick you up and take you to the rental place and rent you the car to drive back to the airport.

The Radisson is an older hotel but the rooms are clean and the pool i great! They have a tiki bar outside near the pool and plenty of chairs to relax in. They have a small restaurant there an dthe food is good and you seem to get plenty for the price.

Right across the street is a McDonalds and on one side is Zacharies restuarant which did a very good business although w edidnt eat there. On the other side there is an italian restaurant, cant think of it's name but has excellant pizza and spaghetti.

Friends have stayed at The Residence Inn too, it is almost next door to the Radisson. it is newer and they said it was realy nice too. There is a mini golf close to both palces.

If you want a newer place there is a hotel called The Country Inn and Suites that just opened up a few months ago. I have never been there but I'm sure since it is new that is it really nice.

It took us about 4 minutes to drive from the Radisson to the Terminal.

mom x4,grandma x4

Last couple of times we have stayed at the Hilton and I love it. It had major renovation a couple of years ago (The first time we stayed, they were just finishing it up). One thing is that although the hotel is ocean front because of the its orientation very few rooms actually directly face the ocean. Most of them look up or down the coast.

I have also stayed at the Residence Inn and liked it.

We're thinking about flying in the day before our cruise leaves and we'd like to know where to stay?

Also, we would need some kind of transportation from the airport to the hotel and then from the hotel to the ship terminal.

What's your best advice?

We just came back and I reccommend staying at the Hyatt at the Orland airport. The hotel is right in the terminals (hard concept to embrace until you acutally get there) so once you collect your luggage just follow the signs to the Hyatt.

I would definitely buy the Disney transfers. When you check in at the Hyatt tell them you are with Disney. They will note that and give you directions on what to do. You will put your DCL luggage tags on (don't do this at home, wait until you get to the Hyatt) and have you put your bags outside of your room by 8:30 a.m. the day of the cruise. By around 9:00 a.m. DCL staff are in the lobby checking people in. You will get a boarding pass that tells you what bus you are on. We were on the first bus out.

At about 9:15 to 9:30 the buses start leaving. They are brand new buses and very nice. On the drive to the port they play a video on the embarkation process and what to expect. Once you get to the port check in is a breeze, and by 12:30 you're on board having lunch! The luggage will be delivered to you room.

On disembarkation is just the reverse. Once you collect your luggage then go through immigration and customs the buses are waiting outside. If you are on one of the major airlines (I think it was American, Delta and one or two more - they'll let you know on board the last night of the cruise) you can check in right at the cruise terminal. They'll check your luggage and drop you off at the airport terminal. If you're not on one of those airlines (we weren't) then just get on an airport bus with your luggage and they drop you at the airport.

I think the disney transfers for two of use was about $140 total, maybe a little less. Definitely worth it.

The Hyatt is a great hotel, nice luxurious rooms and the food at the grill was awesome. There's a pool with a runway view. We had a runway view room which and you could not hear the planes, but it was fun to watch them take off and land. Another nice thing is that there is an expansive food court in the airport, so you can bring back takeout for dinner and not break the bank. Starbucks is just outside of the lobby, too. We booked our room when we made our cruise reservation, the rate was about $200. Our room was ready for us when we arrived at 9:00 a.m.!! I was sooo glad as we had a red eye from the west coast and needed some sleep. We did not have to wait until "check in" time to actually get in the room.

• 3 weeks later...

Some hotels (like the Raddisson) offer free transportation to/from the cruise terminal. So, one hotel may be cheaper but you will have to pay for either a taxi both ways or $36 in parking fees.

If you are driving, then you will need to park your car at the terminal and pay the $36 parking fee.

At the Radisson (for which I have no affiliation), they let you leave the car there for the duration.

Hi, We're going on the Wonder this Sunday, 5-27-7. We're flying in the nite before. I bid on priceline for a hotel at mco for $50. Hyatt MCO accepted my bid. What a deal! I also booked Cocoa Beach shuttle to and from the port. $65. each way for the 3 of us. This is our 1st disney cruise.

I stay at my mom's house in Cocoa - 15 minutes away from the port! :) Oh wait - I've never gone on a DCL cruise, but I do stay with my mom for a night or two before going to WDW.

My family of 5 will visit my mom/WDW at Thanksgiving, and that's too many people to fit comfortably at her house. I reserved a 2-bedroom suite at the Residence Inn in Cape Canaveral for 2 nights. Then we'll spend 3 nights at WDW. The whole family hasn't been there since 2001, so I'm really looking forward to it.

If you are driving, then you will need to park your car at the terminal and pay the $36 parking fee.

At the Radisson (for which I have no affiliation), they let you leave the car there for the duration.

Which Radisson? Is there only one in Cape Canaveral?

Radisson Resort at the Port

8701 ASTRONAUT BOULEVARD

CAPE CANAVERAL, FL 32920

(321) 784-0000

zerog, thanks so much for the info. I booked my hotel last night (I know it is a bit early)! I am excited to try the Sleep Number beds! Is the shuttle pretty reliable? Do you have to wait around forever to go to the terminal or get back from the terminal? How often do they go?

I am a local, so I don't know much about the shuttle service to/from the port. I'm sure if you call the hotel, they will give you all the information.

Like others said, the hotel is only a couple of miles to the port.

Before we moved to Florida, we'd stay at the Airport Hyatt - especially if we arrived late in the day after flying in from the west coast. Then Tiffany Town Car can pick you up and take you to your destination - the park and/or the cruise port.

I stay at Disney resorts before EVERY cruise out of Port Canaveral...even if it's not a Disney ship. :D

In August we are staying at the swan/dolphin because they had a special going on.

We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge (don't know what we are going to do now that Disney made ALL resorts non-smoking including on the balconies. My hubby smokes on the balcony and he won't be happy if he can't :( )

Also by staying pre cruise at WDW, we try to time it to hit a Disney event. This time it's going to be the Princess and Pirate Party at MK. :)

A few posters mentioned the Airport Hyatt, along with the Disney tranfers, and I am in complete agreement with them. It makes your experiance seem almost seamless. There is a large food court in the airport, and numerous shops that make you feel like your in a mall type environment. The Hyatt also has two different options for dinning, and breakfast. In the morning you'll put yours bags by the door, and they end up on the ship. Keep your carry-on with you though. About 10:00 am., you take a short walk to the bus terminal in the airport, to get on a Disney Cruiser. The bus ride is just over 50 minutes, and informative videos are played, that actually help you get your cruise started easily. And the best part of the trip is everyone is excited, and your already meeting people, who can't wait to have a Good Time, just like you. And yes there are a thousand different hook-ups, limos, vans, rental cars, traffic, that can save you money. The Airport Hyatt, Disney tranfers are seamless. We've personally done the routine 5 times, hassle free. Metrowon

Archived