Passport Photo

newtothis2006

Is it possible to take your own passport photo?
Sure, but it's a heck of a lot easier to go to CVS or Walgreens and have them do it. Then you know it's the correct size. I checked this last year and Walgreens was cheaper than CVS.

Costco will take the pictures and have them for you in 10 minutes for $5.

A great price. It's ashame that there aren't many Costco's around. We had our photos taken at Walgreens for $8.

It doesn't say where you're from; if you're from Canada, you cannot take your own passport photo - you have to have it taken by a professional photographer (meaning Costco, London Drugs etc.) and they have to stamp the back with their store stamp, or it will be rejected.

With how long it takes to get a passport these days, you don't want to be rejected!!!

Sure, but it's a heck of a lot easier to go to CVS or Walgreens and have them do it. Then you know it's the correct size. I checked this last year and Walgreens was cheaper than CVS.

Caveat emptor. Bring the passport application with you -- it has a little face & dimensions marked for how small/big the face must be. Check your passport photo against this before you leave the store. The last time we renewed, the Costco picture did not meet the passport requirements and we were turned away at the post office. It wasn't much off, but it wasn't quite within the limits. This time we brought the application with us and confirmed that it was ok before we left the photo counter.

The photo itself MUST be of certain dimensions. Your face must take up a certain area of that photo.

How frustration will it be if you’re just a bit off and the whole thing is returned to you two months later with a note to try again. Spring the couple of bucks and have it done correctly the first time.

When we went through this, we paid a little extra and they did it at the Post Office themselves.

YES!! You CAN take your own pictures. We have for our entire family, with a digital camera, a plain wall for a background and the exact dimensions needed from the passport application. 2 pictures for each application. No problem at the passport office whatsoever.

The BEST PART is if you don't like the picture - keep taking them until you do at no cost whatsoever. My husband even photoshopped out my wrinkles and double chin! Cut it to the exact size on the application and you're done!

Caveat emptor. Bring the passport application with you -- it has a little face & dimensions marked for how small/big the face must be. Check your passport photo against this before you leave the store. The last time we renewed, the Costco picture did not meet the passport requirements and we were turned away at the post office. It wasn't much off, but it wasn't quite within the limits. This time we brought the application with us and confirmed that it was ok before we left the photo counter.

I would add from my personal experience that when I had my photo done at a photo shot, after he took it he said we had to redo it. The reason he said it had to be redone was because I was smiling too much. He said they would not accept such a photo.

With today's backup in passport processing it would be a bummer to have it delayed for something like that.

I took renewal passport pictures for my wife and myself 3 years ago. No problems.

Did the same thing earlier this year for my daughter, son in law, grandaughter and grandson. Once more, no problems.

Easy to do with digital photography.

I had my wife take the picture of me for my passport, and we printed it on her epson picturemate. It's a piece of cake to do, and as long as you can meet the requirements stated on the passport website there's no reason not to. Personally I think $5 or more for these photos is a complete ripoff.

Key is to make sure you follow the guidelines. When I turned my application in, the lady at the post office actually have a clear template thing to check the photo to see that it met specs.

Oh, and make sure you sign the passport when you get it. It annoys the customs officials if you haven't. We won't discuss how I know that :).

You can also get your passport photo taken at many post offices. That's what my husband did. It was a few dollars more than Walgreens but only one stop for him and he knew it was done correctly.

You can check online and find out which locations accept passport applications and will take the photo.

Many years ago, when applying for my first pp, you had to go to an official passport photo place - lots of them in downtown L.a.

Then, my daughter has taken them with her 35mm. As she is a dentist, she is accustomed to photographing patient's faces. We just took 4 or so at different distances. This worked fine. ;)

The last time, the Post Office took it as my employer was paying for the renewal. I later noticed at my local P.O. that it costs $15 at the post office. I applied for renewal 19 March & still waiting. :confused:

I had asked the Officer if I would have it back before September (my next International cruise). :eek:

It doesn't say where you're from; if you're from Canada, you cannot take your own passport photo - you have to have it taken by a professional photographer (meaning Costco, London Drugs etc.) and they have to stamp the back with their store stamp, or it will be rejected.

With how long it takes to get a passport these days, you don't want to be rejected!!!

So true and if certain definitions are not clear Ottawa will reject it!

I find it very interesting that the US has heightened their security and other countries have to follow and you can take your own passport photos??!!:eek:

I agree with what others have said. You can do passport photo's on your own, but they must meet the required specs. I work for FedEx Kinko' so I have taken passport photo's and I make sure they meet the specs before I give the customer thier photo. Ithink it is much easier to pay the extra cash to have someone else who knows what they are doing take the photo. I just went to Walgreens for mine. Yes work at FedEx Kinko's and I went somewhere else to get my photo done. :)

NavySis

Arabrab's point is critical. Not only the photo size, but the background color as well. Not doing this yourself can increase the cost of your passport by up to 50%. In my case, I walked in 'blind' with the application and simply had them take the photo where I filed my application. An additional $40 later I regretted the decision. The DW learned from my mistake, took her own digital picture and printed it out herself. No problems.

I recently had to get my passport renewed for my cruise this week. I went to FedEx Kinko's, paid a few bucks, and got my photos. I then sent my old passport off with the new photos to the passport processing place in Philadelphia. I just recieved the new passport, along with the old one and a cancelled stamp on it. I recommend having the professionals take care of it and just pay a few bucks. That way you know it is done right. Only thing to remember is if you renew a passport by mail is that it takes awhile. I sent my old passport off in mid-January and didn't get the new one until mid-March. But the government website allows you to track it so you know when to expect it.

Michael

Is it possible to take your own passport photo?

My Dad took my sister's photo for the passport and he is 88 years old, so it isnt that hard.

He had her lean against a white wall and then cropped off the shot so its a head shot and then changed the size to 2 inchs by 2 inchs. I think the head part has to be 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch.

My Dad takes pictures of all his friends at the Senior Center so is used to using his software. Maybe for someone else it would not be that hard.

Archived