Special Events: Galveston/Houston Area

LNLisa

One of my favorite yearly events is coming up in only a few weeks, so I thought I'd post about it here in case any cruisers visiting the area at that time would be interested in attending.

The Art Car Parade will be held at 1 PM on Saturday, May 12th.

20th Annual Art Car Parade Rolls at 1 pm!

Parade starts at Taft, heads toward downtown on Allen Parkway, loops around the Heritage Society at Bagby and comes back the other way. Parking in downtown lots and wherever you can find it. View 250 embellished, augmented and jaw-dropping vehicles in the world's largest and oldest Art Car Parade!

The event is free to the public. The official website includes a map as well as more detailed info. The Wikipedia entry has more info as well as links to pics at the bottom of the page.

This parade was originally part of the Houston International Festival, but they separated a few years back. It is one of my life's ambitions to make an art car. :D Sadly, I will probably miss this year's parade as it is my niece's birthday. :(

Thanks for the info. It is things like this that help others figure out what to do when they arrive early for a cruise or stay late. This is how I found out about Marti gras in Galveston. I always thought that only New Orleans had it.

Thanks for the info. It is things like this that help others figure out what to do when they arrive early for a cruise or stay late. This is how I found out about Marti gras in Galveston. I always thought that only New Orleans had it.

The way I heard it is the Mardi Gras in Galveston is an offshoot of one of the parade groups from New Orleans that got disgruntled about something and relocated. Thus a new tradition was born. Started in the mid-80s.

Galveston's first recorded Mardi Gras celebration was in 1867 and continued until 1941 per http://www.galveston.com/mardigrashistory/. The History of Mardi Gras there also explains the 1985 revival by native Galvestonian George P. Mitchell & wife.

As a B. O. I. in the 40's, I remember my mother telling me her Mardi Gras memories from the 20's & 30's.

Kat 070106YA43_prv.gif

It was something my New Orleans born bf told me, so I asked him to clarify. He said Momus left New Orleans because of political reasons and went to Galveston. I possibly misinterpreted the motivation. Anyhow, according to the first article, Momus did withdraw from the New Orleans Mardi Gras (read the last paragraph). The second link shows Momus appears to be in Galveston. My apologies, it was not my intention to mislead.

http://www.mardigrasneworleans.com/history.html

http://www.mardigrasgalveston.com/festivities/entertainment.html

I made my post just because I did not want others to think Galveston's Mardi Gras celebrations started in the 1980s. Especially since it was over a hundred years before that.

Kat 070106YA44_prv.gif

Thanks! I'm happy to share any info I have.

Btw, for any cruisers coming to Galveston/Houston next weekend, it is Cinco de Mayo! That means specials on food and drinks at many Mexican Restaurants, a festival on Galveston's East Beach, and another festival at the Miller Outdoor Theater which is near downtown Houston.

:cool:

Archived