Whats a good length?

spurge_02

I bought a dress off of ebay that dressy but it only goes to about an inch above my knee. Is that to short for a formal night dress on the Carnival Victory? What length of dress is apropriate for formal night?:o

I think it depends on the look of the dress, the material, etc. If you're talking a skin-tight lycra kind of dress, then any length (IMHO) is inappropriate for a formal night. :) But I've seen many classy shorter cocktail dresses, with cute flirty skirts, which I would wear on a formal night in a heartbeat. If you really want opinions, could you maybe post a picture of the dress? As a general rule, though, as always, if you're comfortable in it, then by all means, go for it!

If your short .. Really short it may be fine. Cute dress.... and certain people can pull it off.

Just remember .....there is quite a bit of wind on a cruise if you should happen to step out side or near a doorway.

Just don't go "brittney".:eek:

I wouldn't consider that dress to be formal, but that is just me, and I tend to be a bit conservative on the formal thing. I prefer either a cocktail dress or a full-length gown. But you will be on Carnival, and I bet that dress will be just fine. Enjoy your cruise. ;)

I wouldn't consider that dress to be formal, but that is just me, and I tend to be a bit conservative on the formal thing. I prefer either a cocktail dress or a full-length gown. But you will be on Carnival, and I bet that dress will be just fine. Enjoy your cruise. ;)

HUH:confused: I have seen many of those dresses on formal nights on RCCL.........

HUH:confused: I have seen many of those dresses on formal nights on RCCL.........

I don't doubt you have. However I believe the question was about the formality of the dress. That was what I was addressing. Not everyone dresses formally on formal night, but I do.

I don't doubt you have. However I believe the question was about the formality of the dress. That was what I was addressing. Not everyone dresses formally on formal night, but I do.

Actually the question was about the length of the dress not if it was formal enough!

Actually the question was about the length of the dress not if it was formal enough!

You asked if the length of the dress was appropriate for formal night. My response indicated that I did not consider your dress to be formal - I suppose I should have added regardless of the length, but I assumed you would get that. If you are basing the formality of a dress simply on its length, that would not be correct. I have several full-length shift-type dresses and skirts that I wear to work, but I would never wear them to a formal event.

My apologies for not being speciific enough. ;)

I understood what you said. And yes the dress and the length is fine for formal night. You will look lovely. That's what alot of people wear on formal nights.

If your short .. Really short it may be fine. Cute dress.... and certain people can pull it off.

Just remember .....there is quite a bit of wind on a cruise if you should happen to step out side or near a doorway.

Just don't go "brittney".:eek:

OMG this brought back an embarrassing/VERY funny memory! We were on the Holiday out of NO on our last cruise and went outside for

a stroll around the deck after dinner. I had on the cutest knee length dress - one of those crinkle type that is so flattering to everyone. We

went to walk up a short stairway to the next deck and all of the sudden the breeze came up and I ended up doing a Marilyn Monroe!

Fortunately there wasn't anyone else on deck, and my husband was

right behind me and got a good look at my VS unders - which he loved! Oh well, what happens on ship - stays there!

Your dress will be just fine and the length will be the majority of what most women wear.

Please remember all are just opinions and when one tells you that they would not wear something that you like don't worry about it and just consider they have their style and we have ours. I am sure I would not with out a doubt wear some of the things that some of those people wear also. No big deal! :D

I bought a dress off of ebay that dressy but it only goes to about an inch above my knee. Is that to short for a formal night dress on the Carnival Victory? What length of dress is apropriate for formal night?:o

You know what you do? You go to the website of your ship and find the dress code and you follow that.

Most of the time what some call "opinions" means not following the dress code. Kind of like if I went to your garage and took a few tools. You call it stealing, I call it borrowing. Hey, it's my opinion, it's fine! No big deal! Ha ha.

If you follow the guidelines put out by the ship, printed out for all to read on their website, you won't go wrong. Really, it's true.

Angela,

I don't think comparing stealing to following the dress code is in the same catagory:rolleyes: .

Please continue to read the post and threads and you will discover the way MOST dress has become much more relaxed and honestly the formal lengths (floor length) dresses are the minority and the cocktail dresses are the majority. Not to say you will still see a few dressed in formals!

Just my opinion with out sarcasim! :D

You know what you do? You go to the website of your ship and find the dress code and you follow that.

Most of the time what some call "opinions" means not following the dress code. Kind of like if I went to your garage and took a few tools. You call it stealing, I call it borrowing. Hey, it's my opinion, it's fine! No big deal! Ha ha.

If you follow the guidelines put out by the ship, printed out for all to read on their website, you won't go wrong. Really, it's true.

The dress guideline is there to throw out a few suggestions. They can't possibly list style, length, color..........

The latest trend in formal wear for women is shorter...........

The dress guideline is there to throw out a few suggestions. They can't possibly list style, length, color..........

The latest trend in formal wear for women is shorter...........

To be fashionably dressed is not necessarily to be appropriately dressed.

I have a hard time believing when the dress code says "suit and tie" you think "golf shirt and khaki pants" is the equivalent because it's just a "suggestion". Looks to me like they said suit and tie because that's what they expect. Or used to, before things went downhill.

I have a hard time believing when the dress code says "suit and tie" you think "golf shirt and khaki pants" is the equivalent because it's just a "suggestion". Looks to me like they said suit and tie because that's what they expect. Or used to, before things went downhill.

Not what I said at all. We are taking dresses here. The dress code says gowns, cocktail dresses and pantsuits.....

However they don't say how short or how long;) That would be ridiculous...

Angela,

I don't think comparing stealing to following the dress code is in the same catagory:rolleyes: .

Please continue to read the post and threads and you will discover the way MOST dress has become much more relaxed and honestly the formal lengths (floor length) dresses are the minority and the cocktail dresses are the majority. Not to say you will still see a few dressed in formals!

Just my opinion with out sarcasim! :D

Whenever people try to parse and misinterpret the dress code to suit their whims it makes me want to scream. Why not just come right out and admit that you have decided the rules don't apply to you and you will wear whatever you please and to he** with showing consideration for others and for the ship's guidelines? If you are going to be that way, stop weaseling around with "suggestions" and "it's just opinions". Get out there and proudly state the FACT that you are NOT going to follow the dress code and stop trying to defend your choice. If it's not inappropriate, there is nothing to defend, yes?

Sigh. :rolleyes: I promise to stop now.

PS: Do you have any idea which came first--did the passengers lower the ships' "suggestions" or did the ships lower the "suggestions" and the passengers happily followed suit?

Whenever people try to parse and misinterpret the dress code to suit their whims it makes me want to scream. Why not just come right out and admit that you have decided the rules don't apply to you and you will wear whatever you please and to he** with showing consideration for others and for the ship's guidelines? If you are going to be that way, stop weaseling around with "suggestions" and "it's just opinions". Get out there and proudly state the FACT that you are NOT going to follow the dress code and stop trying to defend your choice. If it's not inappropriate, there is nothing to defend, yes?

Sigh. :rolleyes: I promise to stop now.

PS: Do you have any idea which came first--did the passengers lower the ships' "suggestions" or did the ships lower the "suggestions" and the passengers happily followed suit?

What does this have to do with the length of a dress:confused:

Archived