Whats a good length?

spurge_02

Not what I said at all. We are taking dresses here. The dress code says gowns, cocktail dresses and pantsuits.....

However they don't say how short or how long;) That would be ridiculous...

Really? Must be where I was raised. For evening wear I have always understood "gown" to be full length. Anything shorter in the "evening" category is a "cocktail dress". Again...maybe it's just me. :cool:

Really? Must be where I was raised. For evening wear I have always understood "gown" to be full length. Anything shorter in the "evening" category is a "cocktail dress". Again...maybe it's just me. :cool:

Op never said anything about a gown....

I hope the OP does not cower down to such pettiness:rolleyes:

Op never said anything about a gown....

I hope the OP does not cower down to such pettiness:rolleyes:

The OP didn't, but I quoted YOUR statement, so that was what I was responding to.

Gosh this is getting old!! Okay...I am done with this one.:rolleyes:

The OP didn't, but I quoted YOUR statement, so that was what I was responding to.

Gosh this is getting old!! Okay...I am done with this one.:rolleyes:

I was responding to post #19 by Wadadli1. Maybe you ought to go back and read all the posts before responding;)

No need for sarcasim.........

When the world ends there will still be two things 1) roaches 2) arguments about jeans in the dining room

LOL! I'm really starting to believe that:p

Don't for get 3) Oh I see you are sailing Carnival...those dresses will be fine:rolleyes:

It's not the length of the dress--it's the design! You could have a cotton dress one inch above the knee--cotton is NOT formal!!! You could have a floor length dress that's not formal--it's all in the design!!!!

Watch a show like the Oscars--most of the women (not all!!!) wear Formal dresses for that.

What does this have to do with the length of a dress:confused:

If one follows the dress code the length of the dress will become evident. All becomes clear. It's spelled out in the code. If one doesn't understand what the proscribed dresses' descriptions mean, then that's another question.

If one follows the dress code the length of the dress will become evident. All becomes clear. It's spelled out in the code. If one doesn't understand what the proscribed dresses' descriptions mean, then that's another question.

My, you are just a delight:rolleyes:

I wont cower its not something I do easily! And your right I never said gown.:rolleyes:

You go girl! You will look great in that "cocktail length dress":D Afterall it clearly states cocktail dresses in the dress code, and one should know what length that means LOL!

Seriously, have a wonderful cruise!

PS: Do you have any idea which came first--did the passengers lower the ships' "suggestions" or did the ships lower the "suggestions" and the passengers happily followed suit?

Easy to answer that one...the ships were forced to lower standards as the passengers pushed the envelope more and more. Formal night is nothing like it used to be when folks were not as concerned as being "comfortable" and doing as they please since it is their vacation.

Whenever people try to parse and misinterpret the dress code to suit their whims it makes me want to scream. Why not just come right out and admit that you have decided the rules don't apply to you and you will wear whatever you please and to he** with showing consideration for others and for the ship's guidelines? If you are going to be that way, stop weaseling around with "suggestions" and "it's just opinions". Get out there and proudly state the FACT that you are NOT going to follow the dress code and stop trying to defend your choice. If it's not inappropriate, there is nothing to defend, yes?

Sigh. :rolleyes: I promise to stop now.

PS: Do you have any idea which came first--did the passengers lower the ships' "suggestions" or did the ships lower the "suggestions" and the passengers happily followed suit?

Good morning Angela,

My oh my you are a peach!:D I try to adhere to the dress code but I just try to wear something that will be in the same class as what the majority is wearing.

If you feel you need to scream when someone is wearing something that does not fit into what you think is appropriate I hope you remember to take some cough drops for your sore throat because you will be screaming a lot on your cruise. I don't dress to please you or anyone else but I do dress to please myself. ;)

Since you are asking a stupid question then I feel the need to follow with a stupid question, do you realize how annoying you have been? :eek:

I am sorry OP but sometimes post like this is very difficult to just let go!

Your dress is adorable and if you feel good in it, wear it. I usually wear a long dress on one formal night and short dresses on the other(s) - that's my choice.

You will see people in all kinds of attire, even on formal night. (We were on one cruise where the guy at our table wore a long-sleeved t-shirt as his 'formal' attire. He was a nice guy and we had a great week.)

Relax and have fun! It's a vacation.

Easy to answer that one...the ships were forced to lower standards as the passengers pushed the envelope more and more. Formal night is nothing like it used to be when folks were not as concerned as being "comfortable" and doing as they please since it is their vacation.

Yeah... formal night was SOOOO much better back in the days of Titanic.

Can you tell I am on the Formal Is Good side of the debate? :p

I usually stay out of these threads but find myself growing increasingly disappointed when so many voices speak out in favor of lowering the standards.

PS: My formal clothes are indeed comfortable!

Can you tell I am on the Formal Is Good side of the debate? :p

I usually stay out of these threads but find myself growing increasingly disappointed when so many voices speak out in favor of lowering the standards.

PS: My formal clothes are indeed comfortable!

I frankly don't know that anyone has come out on the "Formal is Bad" side of the debate. Sign me up on the "Life is too short for me to worry over what a complete stranger wears to dinner and this cruise cost too much for me to let someone who wears a cocktail dress rather than a prom dress to formal night ruin it" side of the debate.

And PS: I wear nice dresses in the dining room EVERY night and really nice cocktail dresses or even long formals on formal night so don't go misinterpreting what I'm saying.... I'm not petitioning to allow cut-off jeans and flip flops in the dining room.

Yeah... formal night was SOOOO much better back in the days of Titanic.

Yes, it was and it was also soooo much better just a few years ago before cost cutting to attract new cruisers and bigger ships attracting more families created a whole new ambiance - or lack thereof - on formal nights and other nights.

Archived