Any other cruise lines have "freestyle" dining

SHINEMAN

WE really like the freedom afforded by freestyle dining. We have been on three cruises with NCL and have really come to appreciate it.

However, we would like to try another cruise line. Does anyone know if any other lines have a freestyle equivalent? Did it work out as well as NCL?

Also like the idea of the included service charge, by the way.

It is actually a little better in that you have the choice of traditional or "freestyle", so everyone is happy. You just have to request it at the beginning. Princess does not have as many alternative dining options however. Usually 2 other rest (aside from the grill, pizza, and buffet).

Princess' anytime dining (or whatever it is called) does offer similar flexibility, but it can get overwhelming as some "traditional diners" convert to "anytime" dining and tend to overburden those dining rooms. In addition, Princess still has suggested dining attire for each given night, unlike NCL. While we've been on Princess and have taken advantage of the extra pay restuarants, we never opted for the anytime dining option while onboard.

Princess' anytime dining (or whatever it is called) does offer similar flexibility, but it can get overwhelming as some "traditional diners" convert to "anytime" dining and tend to overburden those dining rooms. In addition, Princess still has suggested dining attire for each given night, unlike NCL. While we've been on Princess and have taken advantage of the extra pay restuarants, we never opted for the anytime dining option while onboard.

I have never seen an "overburden" on Princess. As with Freestyle, I never had to wait for a table more than 5 minutes on any cruise. I spent 25 days on the Coral this spring and summer and did not have to wait one time.

Princess also allows the traveler to make reservations (or at least they did on the Diamond) and was very easy to do so. Never had a wait. Had the choice of 3 themed dining rooms and 1 pay. Never tried the pay restaurant because the food was very good in the main dining rooms.

I have never seen an "overburden" on Princess. As with Freestyle, I never had to wait for a table more than 5 minutes on any cruise. I spent 25 days on the Coral this spring and summer and did not have to wait one time.

Things may have changed. However, we took the Star Princess to Alaska, and many people missed their assigned "fixed" dining times and move over to Personal Choice dining. As a result, those dining rooms ended up having more diners than they initially anticipated at the begining of the cruise. I also remember reading some comments that the wait times got longer as the week progressed and as more people opted for Personal Choice. Perhaps Princess has remedied this situation over the past year somehow.

Princess Personal Choice dining offers two options: traditional, and anytime dining. I was told on the Diamond that they are having some challenges with people switching from traditional to anytime. People are familiar with traditional and love that personal, repeat service from the same waitstaff, so they choose that. After they board, they are attracted by the dramatic, beautiful alternative restaurants and the flexibility and request to change to anytime dining. This can cause some backups, as it is impossible to predict when all the passengers are going to want to head for which restaurant. This is one of the challenges that faces any such non-regimented dining. People then complain because they may have to WAIT to be seated for dinner ON A CRUISE SHIP:eek:. We were informed that the Diamond Princess does have dedicated concierges on 9 (or 10, I don't remember exactly), phone lines for dinner reservations. When we asked questions onboard about a hypothetical switch from traditional to anytime, they said they were "cracking down" on this. I can imagine people getting upset about being disallowed this option, though, so I am not sure how they would really handle that. I was touring the ship with a travel agent who had a large family group (of her own family) booked on the Diamond. They had chosen traditional dining, but as soon as she saw the other dining rooms, she made the decision to switch asap.

I really appreciate the freedom that the flexible meal-time arrangements provide. I also recognize the risk of complaints that the cruise line runs in order to provide this. No one likes to wait for dinner on a cruise. The inevitable, "Eat when and where you want, WHAT A CROCK!!!:mad: " comments/feelings come outwhen there is a backup in a particular dining venue on a particular night.

To me, the extra flexibility is worth the possibility of a short wait. I really like Freestyle.

I made reservations as soon as I boarded Diamond 5/15 (though I was originally against it, sorta takes away the impulsiveness) but had no problems with my requested seating. Others had complained on the same ship in earlier weeks (didn't know about phone ressies) but I think things are going much more smoothly now, but making reservations are a must. There is a phone number placed on your cabin desk next to the tele.

Princess, although they offer Personal choice dining, it is not really the same as freestyle as there is not quite the flexibility nor do you have the choice of alternative dining establishments you have with NCL. For someone who wants to try another line and prefers the freedom Princess would be the closest thing, just don't expect the same choices.

NMnita

Princess, although they offer Personal choice dining, it is not really the same as freestyle as there is not quite the flexibility nor do you have the choice of alternative dining establishments you have with NCL. For someone who wants to try another line and prefers the freedom Princess would be the closest thing, just don't expect the same choices.

NMnita

This not true on the newest Princess ships (Sapphire and Diamond) have four zero charge options for dinner every nioght on top of the usual extra charge rest.

My biggest complaint with this and NCL freestyle is how much room all these restaurants take up. I'd rather a few less choices and some more ship space.

We were on the Dawn Princess last December. We like Freestyle with NCL and opted for Personal Choice on the Dawn.

Each evening as we entered the dining room we showed our room card, which indicated our dining choice. It appeared that they were not permitting any cross-over diners. We never saw anyone turned away because we always were seated immediately. :)

The second night we had a really great wait team. After that we called ahead (several hours usually) and were always seated with that team.

Archived