Radiance-Disembarking in Seward, AK

apnep

Hi,

We'll be disembarking in Seward, AK at 7AM on May 25. Anyone been on the Radiance in Alaska before? How long does it take to get off the ship when disembarking? I will take care of my own luggage, pay up with the purser the night before, and ask to get off first because I want to make an 8AM Kenai Fjords Tour. Will I be able to make it? I'll be so disappointed if I can't make it. We are driving to Anchorage after the boat tour and I wanted to stop and sightsee along the way to Anchorage. Can anyone help?

RCI people are vague with this question except to say they don't recommend booking anything before 9AM. Also, why do we have to go through customs again if we clear before getting onboard in Vancouver? Help!

Apnep

24 days to Alaska- Radiance of the Seas

I answered you on Fodors. You DO NOT go through any customs in Seward and are free to just walk off the ship. I have done this several times including with RCI. They start unloading by 6:30am usually. (see what the times are when the season starts).

My post is accurate and isn't going to change. :)

Never been to Seward yet, but will be embarking from there 6/8, but the Queens response is right. the only thing is for the ship to arrive timely, and then for the harbor master to be ready for her. those are the only variables i forsee. If you rolloff your luggage you WILL be the first off for sure and not have to wait for color to be called. Concieve can help with early call if you are upper C%A member too.

BudgetQueen, i emailed you the proposed trip we have on tap for 5/31-6/8 alaska selfland tour for your imput.. Do you get mail on yahoo?? It came from lrskier2_nospamatnetscapedotnet.... yes the _nospam is attemptin to avoid spam with this address openly.. your imput is requested. i just read 3 posts about Alpine Motel in soldnota that very very critical and have me thinkg that Hooligans Roadhouse/saloon might be the place to stay there or return to Kenai Princess for guarantee of good nights rest, food, drink. let me hear from you.. thanks

One trick to this is to let the front desk know you are disembarking as an independent traveler; fill this out as well on your disembarkment paperwork you submit. Disembarkment from the Radiance began at 6:00am.

My brother and I walked right off the ship last year without waiting for any of the disembarkment calls based on a color-code (train passengers, bus passengers, etc.). I kept my own luggage as well. No problems.

The Seward facility is very small and quite close to the Seward small boat harbor although it might be easier to take a cab to the tour office.

As the others have stated.....If you keep your luggage with you the night before you'll have no problem walking off. No customs. The ships arrive between 2-4am. Disembarkation for the train starts at 6am. Sometimes the ship let off crew to go drinking at the Pit Bar (open till 5am)

I'm assuming your renting a car. Hertz has a shuttle to their office (3 blocks) but they won't be out before 8am, as that's when they open.

Some of the wildlife cruise companies will store luggage while your out with them. That would be your best option or you'd have to wait for Hertz to open and then also pay to park in the harbor.

A taxi from the ship to small boat harbor is $5. There is a taxi courtesy phone inside the terminal by the restrooms/payphones.

OK. I just have to be sure. These are the most assertive answers I've gotten from more than one person. I will then book the 8 AM tour and just walk off the ship.

Why are the Royal Caribbean people telling me we won't get there until 7 AM and off the boat until 10 if the truth is they dock at 2 and 3 AM in the morning? Why don't they just tell it like it is? It's so frustrating, all I want to do is firm up my plans. OK, thanks everyone.

And thank you BudgetQueen. I just needed to be 150% certain! :) :D I do appreciate your time.

Apnep

I answered you on Fodors. You DO NOT go through any customs in Seward and are free to just walk off the ship. I have done this several times including with RCI. They start unloading by 6:30am usually. (see what the times are when the season starts).

My post is accurate and isn't going to change. :)

Dang! I was busted by BudgetQueen...You're everywhere! Not that I had anything against you on Fodor's, but you were the only one who had this knowledge. Now that 3 other people agreed with you on CC, I believe you! :rolleyes: Thanks again, I can move on with my life now...

None of the cruise ships ever tell the passengers that docking is usually around 2am or that they can walk off at 6am. They want to try to stay organized by colored codes or such and having the train passengers 1st since that leaves at 7am, then bus passengers and independants last, usually around 9am. They certainly don't want 2000+ passengers all at once wandering around the small terminals in Seward or Whittier.

Why are the Royal Caribbean people telling me we won't get there until 7 AM and off the boat until 10 if the truth is they dock at 2 and 3 AM in the morning? Why don't they just tell it like it is? It's so frustrating, all I want to do is firm up my plans. OK, thanks everyone.

Apnep

Because the RCI phone "people" don't know and have never been to Alaska. :)

Often they will let people board around noon, but just as often making them wait till 2. It mainly depends on how fast they get the old passengers off and cleaned/sanitized for new arrivals. The buses start arriving around 3pm.

Luggage is dropped off at the big white bin outside the terminal prior to boarding. Usually they are ready by 11:30am when the regular run train passengers arrive. The reps there will know what time boarding starts for that day.

Often they will let people board around noon, but just as often making them wait till 2. It mainly depends on how fast they get the old passengers off and cleaned/sanitized for new arrivals. The buses start arriving around 3pm.

Luggage is dropped off at the big white bin outside the terminal prior to boarding. Usually they are ready by 11:30am when the regular run train passengers arrive. The reps there will know what time boarding starts for that day.

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Since their checkout is 11 AM, I guess we will go down to the pier after we check out and just wait until we can board the ship. :)

We will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express. Since their checkout is 11 AM, I guess we will go down to the pier after we check out and just wait until we can board the ship. :)

The Holiday Inn has bag storage. I would plan on some excellent Seward touring. :)

The Holiday Inn has bag storage. I would plan on some excellent Seward touring. :)

Thanks Budget Queen for the information. As far as Seward touring, we plan to be in Seward for three days prior to our cruise. We are taking the Alaska Railroad from Anchorage to Seward. While in Seward, our tours will include: the Kenai Fjords all day tour with Major Marine, visiting Exit Glacier, and the Sea Life Center. Not sure what else we can cram into our schedule.

• 9 years later...
What train leaves at 7am. I thought the train to Anchorage only ran in the PM. Would love to take a train to Anchorage rather than a bus. BTW we arrive in Seward on the 26th I believe around 5am

The cruise-contracted train leaves at 7am.

I am thankful, too, for this information. Going on our first cruise to Alaska...and it feels like my first ever cruise. The ports are different and I still don't have a good feel for what I plan to do. I need all the help I can get!!;p