Getting to & from Galveston cruise terminal

TXsailin

We're sailing out of Galveston for the first time and I'm having some trouble finding a way to get from near Houston Hobby, where we're staying the night before, to the cruise terminal on Sunday. Same for return when we get back. If anyone's done this and has suggestions about a good, reliable shuttle or transportation service, we'd love to hear about it. Carnival no longer does a shuttle service from Hobby.

Thanks!

i live close enough to drive down to Galveston ( 3 hours) but from reading this board i think most folks rent a car and the dropp it off at the car rental and they shuttle you to the ship... some names that i remember are Hertez and enterprise...not sure if there is a shuttle at all.???

We were trying that, but I haven't had much luck -- maybe just not asking the right questions. I haven't checked Hertz locations in Houston but the 2 in Galveston are both closed on Sundays according to Hertz (on-line and by phone). If there's a location or company someone can suggest, that'd be great! :confused:

We're on the May 20 one -- and so excited -- first time on Carnival for all of us -- first time cruising for our two (adult) daughters -- this is a birthday cruise for them. My husband and I have cruise RCCL before and really enjoyed it -- so if this one is a good as the reviews I've read, I'm pretty sure we'll be addicted to cruisin! :D

Does anyone from the Galveston area know "exactly" how to get to the port from say the Houston area ? What freeway, what exit, what turns ?????

I am not sure what the exit number (industrial blvd?) is but there is a sign on the I-45 freeway saying cruise terminals. Turn left and the cruise ships will be several miles on the left.

Call Enterprise direct & book. They will tell you there's a $60. drop off fee, but I can't recall one posting that anyone was actually charged. The shuttle from Enterprise drop off to the terminal is a breeze. I think they run every 15 minutes, but when we were there, the shuttle at site was filled up and another just showed up. Gave the driver a couple of bucks... couldn't be easier. If you do this drop off your luggae at the port terminal before returning the car. If you go directly inside the building (about midway part of the terminnal) you will by pass the porters & your luggage will be out of the elements (ie... you won't have to tip).

We took the shuttle to the terminal, but decided to walk around The Strand first. It's a cute area, but wouldn't make a side trip to visit. It was a nice distraction.

btw... there is a walmart near seawall for those last minute items.

Does anyone from the Galveston area know "exactly" how to get to the port from say the Houston area ? What freeway, what exit, what turns ?????

If you go to the EZCruiseParking site they have a map. If you follow directions to their parking, you can SEE the ship.

I think you take I45 down from Houston and across the Galveston Causeway and then go to 26th street and hang a left and go straight until you hit the port.

Very easy, hard to get lost if you turn left off of I45 which changes names once you are in Galveston.....but you are on the same road until you turn left and run right into the port.

ok looking at google earth, you take the 45 south, then just before you hit the island itself, you take some exit veering right- then you go down about a mile, then you make a left, then you head in a north direction, then it veers to the right heading east- then its like 5 -7 miles down.... Am I correct ??

Take I-45 South. Just after you cross the causeway bridge, take the first exit. There is a sign indicating "Cruise Ship Terminal". Turn left at the stop sign after you've exited. Stay on that road and you will be at the terminal. (Maybe ten minutes, at most with one stop light.) Can't miss it! Have a great cruise.

OK, yeah, just as I thought almost... Yeah, just before you hit the island you exit to the right..... Then you go down and make a left at the overpass crossing.... Then from there, it seems like a veryyyy long drive to the port terminal. Or maybe it just looks like a long drive to terminal.

OK, yeah, just as I thought almost... Yeah, just before you hit the island you exit to the right..... Then you go down and make a left at the overpass crossing.... Then from there, it seems like a veryyyy long drive to the port terminal. Or maybe it just looks like a long drive to terminal.

There really isn't an exit you get off of when you are on I45, you just keep driving and the name of the road changes. Turn left I think on 26th and go until you hit the port (a couple of miles). Easy as can be.

I just drove this for the 3rd time about a week ago.

EZCruiseparking site has a little map if you want to see how it looks on paper.

The causeway does not have a lift section, it is just an elevated bridge. The only problem is the closure on Sunday mornings from around 8 to 9 about once a month for demolition of the old causeway. This won't affect embarkation but may catch some people trying to make an early flight.:)

Just to clear up some confusion...there IS an exit (first one after the causeway ends) to get to the terminal. IF you continue straight, and don't take that exit, I-45 becomes Broadway, which is the main road through Galveston. If you chose this option you can do the 26th street left. So you have two options on how to reach the terminal. I like the exit after the bridge, as there is no traffic and only one traffic light, the 2nd option is more traffic and a number of lights to contend with and is longer. (After you exit I-45 in option one, it's not far at all to get to the terminal...it only looks that way on the map...ten minutes max.) :)

ok, so I was right... there is exit per say that veers to the right just before you hit the island itself... Then it leads you to a road, then to a stop sign right under an underpass of the freeways... Then you make a left there, then it will curve then head east.... Then the port will be on your left side after a couple miles - am i finally correct.

Just to clear up some confusion...there IS an exit (first one after the causeway ends) to get to the terminal. IF you continue straight, and don't take that exit, I-45 becomes Broadway, which is the main road through Galveston. If you chose this option you can do the 26th street left. So you have two options on how to reach the terminal. I like the exit after the bridge, as there is no traffic and only one traffic light, the 2nd option is more traffic and a number of lights to contend with and is longer. (After you exit I-45 in option one, it's not far at all to get to the terminal...it only looks that way on the map...ten minutes max.) :)

ok, so I was right... there is exit per say that veers to the right just before you hit the island itself...

It's an exit ramp, it doesn't veer, it exits off to the right onto the frontage road. It's the one right after the bridge and I always miss it and have to take the next exit and u-turn around. The street you want is Harborside, it's a few miles to the cruise ship terminals. There are ample signs to direct you, it's very hard to miss.

Btw it's on the island itself, not before. The bridge in question is the huge one that goes over the channel between mainland Texas and Galveston Island.

Archived