Portsmouth NH to Boston?

lhall85917

I just received an email for a promotion with Skybus Airlines - a new airline starting up with incredible startup fares. 2 of us can fly to Portsmouth from Columbus, OH for $112 total roundtrip!! Any idea of what would be involved in getting from Portsmouth to a hotel in Boston, then from the ship back? Are there any shuttles or transportation services or should we rent a car?

We haven't booked yet, so would like any input.

Thanks

The airport in Portsmouth is not a very busy airport at all. Allegiant flies out of there part of the year and Pan Am used to, don't know if they still exist anymore lol My mother is the only one I know who has ever flown out of Pease, it actually used to be part of the air force base. I know there is a bus station with parking right on the edge of the property, kinda down the road. According to the Skybus website, they are having a shuttle to that bus station. http://ask.skybus.com/info/boston.shtml You probably would do best renting a car, you are only an hour north of Boston and it is a really easy ride.

It is crazy though, I see fares of $20 RT!!! Looks like only 2 flights a day though. Thanks for posting, I will have to tell my mother, she loves that airport. http://www.peasedev.org/airportinfo/flightinfo.asp

Hmmm.. I live nearby and didn't know that commercial flights flew into Portsmouth at all! Like the previous poster said, it's an Air Force base. Short drive to Boston, my guess would be under an hour (unless you drive 55) depending on traffic--Portsmouth is a really nice coastal town. Summer traffic here on the coast and the highways is AWFUL.

Pan Am flew out of there to Sanford, Florida for years and really cheap too. My mother usually got a one way fare for around $70. Worked well for her since she never knew when she was coming back up here from Florida. Pan Am isn't going into Sanford anymore but now Allegiant seems to have taken it over. I know she has to pay an extra $10 for an assigned seat and there are very limited flights but it works for her since she is in Exeter and hates going to Logan.

Pan Am still has charter flights out of Pease. Very Quiet airport. Not much commercial traffic. It won't take you long to process through. You want to get to C&J Trailways , just a short way down the road. Since Airbus just opened up they may have a shuttle over to C&J. If not a taxi won't cost much. C&J have shuttles almost every hour to and from Logan Airport in Boston or to the Downtown area of Boston (South Station). Look up C&J Trailways on search engine(Hotbot or Google for schedules). It is a 1-1/2 hr. ride each way to and from the airport. It cost us $39 each for a 2 way ticket last month. Can't comment on Airbus because they have just arrived. My son works at Pan Am and he has'nt given me the scoop on them yet. But I have used C&J quite a few times. Pretty much on time even when the traffic gets heavy. Pretty dependable. Many locals use it just so they don't have to fight the traffic when they have to go down to the airport or downtown Boston. Hope this helps.

Pan Am still has charter flights out of Pease. Very Quiet airport. Not much commercial traffic. It won't take you long to process through. You want to get to C&J Trailways , just a short way down the road. Since Airbus just opened up they may have a shuttle over to C&J. If not a taxi won't cost much. C&J have shuttles almost every hour to and from Logan Airport in Boston or to the Downtown area of Boston (South Station). Look up C&J Trailways on search engine(Hotbot or Google for schedules). It is a 1-1/2 hr. ride each way to and from the airport. It cost us $39 each for a 2 way ticket last month. Can't comment on Airbus because they have just arrived. My son works at Pan Am and he has'nt given me the scoop on them yet. But I have used C&J quite a few times. Pretty much on time even when the traffic gets heavy. Pretty dependable. Many locals use it just so they don't have to fight the traffic when they have to go down to the airport or downtown Boston. Hope this helps.

If your son gives you the scoop, can you please post his comments here? I'm interested in using the airline for our cruise trip in August. I will be traveling with my family of 5 and have yet to buy our airline tickets. This would save us a LOAD of money.

I talked to my son today, he said the company is so new to Pease he has not heard anything yet. He said the planes look to be in good shape ( newer looking than what usally come in). I say go for it!! Good prices like that don't last long!! He said there is no shuttle though to C&J. For transportation purposes he came up with Blue Star Taxi Service, Phone number 603-436-2774. It takes 10-15 minutes for the cab to get to the airport, when you call. You might be able to prearrange with them ahead of time if you wish. He called them its $9.00(a car of 4) each way to and from C&J through them.There is also 2 Limo services to Boston but they will cost more of course. Great Bay Limo 603-742-8425 and Regal Limo 800-709-3500. Just so you know there are quite a few hotels in the near vacinity of Pease, if you wish to stay there instead of Boston. It would be cheaper by far. There is a Marriott Courtyard right on Pease. Son says its expensive though. Very close to Pease is a Motel 6 & Hampton Inn, and not too much farther is a Holiday Inn. These are all in safe areas so no need to worry, with plenty of eating places within walking distances of them all. Look under Portsmouth for these listings. I will research tonight where exactly the Port is in Boston and if there are hotels nearby. I will try and find out how far away from where C&J lets you off. Son also said there are car rentals right in Pease Terminal. (National , Enterprise and Alamo) If thats the way you decide to go.

Thank you Zoena! Looks like I have plenty of options. I grew up in Portsmouth so I know the area. I may even arrange a Water Country visit before we leave. Goodness knows it will be hot enough (leaving in August).

Thanks again for getting all that great info!!

Archived