Just back from the PG April 11th-21st

Back just a couple of days from our second "once in a lifetime cruise" on the PG -this time on the 10 day itinerary. The two added islands were beautiful, we got to see Raitea on a week day and it felt like a whole new cruise until about 6 days out.

I really liked the new all inclusive drink policy. Lots or people hanging out in the lounges before dinner listening to music, enjoying cocktails and canapes. I thought it was much more social and we found it very easy to mingle with other passengers.

Rangiroa was very different from the lush islands the boat usually visits. Nothing there taller than a coconut tree! Great snorkeling there. Huahine was beautiful but we just went to the beach that day. We should have done an inland tour. Next time:)

We also liked the Island circumnavigation by jet boat tour in Bora Bora. I feel like we got three excursions in one, as we first stopped to see the stingrays and sharks, then another stop at a fabulous snorkel spot, and then the boat ride itself. Guides were great, very friendly and accomodating.

At Raitea, we took the Jungle Hike, and it was a killer excursion. It was really strenuous, but a great payoff at the end when you reach the water fall! The path was really treacherous, muddy and slippery and with tree vines and obstacles. Hauling my sorry butt up a ridge on a rope with footholds only is not something I usually do. I think the whole group (maybe 12-15 of us ) felt a real sense of accomplishment at getting up and down that mountain.

The weather was pretty good, but it did rain heavily from about 11-12 on motu day, and never really cleared up that afternoon. A bit of a disappointment, as we had enjoyed motu day so much the year before, and were really looking forward to it again. We stuck it out til about three.

One complaint that wasn't Regent's fault, but nonetheless annoying. The couple in the next stateroom talked very loudly, and we could hear their conversations as if they were in the same room. Just kind of annoying in the daytime, VERY annoying at 6 AM. I called the front desk, and they didn't seem really willing to deal with it.....suggested we call back when they were talking loudly. I just ended up putting in earplugs in the morning when they went at it in the morning and leaving the cabin later in the day when they were in. We didn't hear anything on the other side and I don't remember this happening at all last time, so I'm blaming the Loud couple.

Also met up with another Cruise Critic contributor, ski3bee, who went on to New Zealand and Australia. We enjoyed a beautiful sunset with our respective spouses at La Palette early on and had several pleasant conversations throughout the cruise---

Hi, Rachel and poolechick

I wanted to post about the hike because I've never seen any posts by anyone who actually did it----so be aware---it is strenuous and muddy! And most hikers were sore the next day-mostly in the arms from the ropes and in the butt from the uphill steps. It had rained the day before so everyone, even the youngest and most agile, were slipping and I think we all took a fall or two. Except the guides, of course, who did the whole hike in their tractionless flip flops!

Poolechick-Thanks for your earlier review of the jetboat excursion. I did book it based on your positive feedback.

What would you rec as far as foot wear for the hike? I have hiking shoes, hiking boots (Don't really want to bring as they take up way too much room in the suitcase), and Tevas. I was thinking the hiking shoes (like athletic shoes but with better traction)--that is what I wore last year in Macchu Picchu and have used when hiking on other trips where it is not too cold. I pretty much only use the boots when I know I am going to need the extra insulation, which I definitely won't in Tahiti.

Archived