Tahitian Princess will not cruise Tahiti but Alaska

canadagal

Well, I guess there will now be less choice out there for the summer cruiser in Tahiti with the announcement that Princess will send the Tahitian Princess to Alaska. Article below:

Princess outlines seasonal Tahiti deployment

25/4/2007

Tahitian Princess in 2008 will sail in French Polynesia from January through May and from October through December. The ship will contiue its 10-day roundtrips from Papeete to Huahine, Rangiroa, Raiatea, Bora Bora and Moorea.

Princess Cruises has fulfilled its five-year obligation to French Polynesia, according to Maina Sage, minister of tourism and the environment, who added that the company will continue its partnership by returning in coming years.

Tahiti Tourisme ceo Dany Panero described the working relationship with Princess as ‘extremely professional and efficient.’

Princess began roundtrip cruising from Papeete through French Polynesia in 2002, when Tahitian Princess joined the fleet. Since then, the line has carried more than 135,000 passengers to the region on that ship alone. Other Princess vessels also visit French Polynesia.

As separately reported, Tahitian Princess will sail in Alaska during the summer next year, between its spring and fall seasons in French Polynesia.

It sounds from reading these boards that cruises in Tahiti are extremely popular (we did the PG 3 years ago and can see why). While on the Navigator last month I learned that Regent is "thinking" about building a new ship. Perhaps with Princess backing off from that area a bit, Windstar no longer there and the loss of the PG after next year, the time may be right for Regent to begin building a ship for the South Pacific. :confused:

Right now there is about a 2.5 to 3 year waitlist for newbuilds, so I don't think that is an option.

BTW, is it firm that Regent is not going to, or is not able to, charter the PG after 2008? I didn't think it was carved in stone as of yet.

According to Daniel, forget his title (earlier this month) -- he books future cruises on the Navigator for Regent, it is absolutely a done deal. Apparently it's Regent that has convinced GCT (Grand Circle Travel) to extend the lease this long. 2008 is suppose to be the very last extension. GCT has other plans for the PG that does not include Regent. Sad, but "apparently" true.

So, it sounds like there will be a great opportunity for some cruise line to begin Tahiti cruises in 2009 (booking possibly cruises as early as late 2007)

Remember that Star Clipper is entering the scene in Tahiti. Having sailed all three of their ships I can say they do a really nice job. The Star Flyer will be perfect for the area and I have to admit I would sail them again. No it is not Regent...but a sailing ship in that area with so few passenegrs just seems like a good fit. They will not put a big dent in Regents business, but at a lower cost they will attract passengers and probably a younger crowd interested in sailing and more water sports.

As for regent...I hope they build a new ship, but I am concerned they will build a bigger ship than the PG....if it got too big, I would opt for Star Clipper.

In the meantime I count the days till I fly there to board the PG.

Remember that Star Clipper is entering the scene in Tahiti. Having sailed all three of their ships I can say they do a really nice job. The Star Flyer will be perfect for the area and I have to admit I would sail them again. No it is not Regent...but a sailing ship in that area with so few passenegrs just seems like a good fit. They will not put a big dent in Regents business, but at a lower cost they will attract passengers and probably a younger crowd interested in sailing and more water sports.

As for regent...I hope they build a new ship, but I am concerned they will build a bigger ship than the PG....if it got too big, I would opt for Star Clipper.

In the meantime I count the days till I fly there to board the PG.

Thanks for the information. We'll definitely check out the Star Clipper. I tend to agree with you about new ships probably being larger than existing ones. It's difficult to compete with the PG, but suppose that once people believe that 2008 it truly it's last year, they will be searching for a replacement.

According to Daniel, forget his title (earlier this month) -- he books future cruises on the Navigator for Regent, it is absolutely a done deal. Apparently it's Regent that has convinced GCT (Grand Circle Travel) to extend the lease this long. 2008 is suppose to be the very last extension. GCT has other plans for the PG that does not include Regent. Sad, but "apparently" true.

I had heard this about 2 years ago. Things change and didn't know if anyone had heard anything definitive from Regent home office at all.

Archived