Grand vs Carribean

snowmen

Hi there,

We sailed on the Caribbean Princess in 6-07 and the Grand, this March 31-April 7. Both ships were beautiful and immaculate. CB is newer, and I think a little bit nicer. They both have MUTS which we loved. The Grand has an indoor pool (which the CB doesn't)..nice feature if it rained (it didn't), but we didn't use it on sunny days.. Definitely less crowded than the other big pool (that allows kids)..The cabins were fine on both ships...The service, ammenities and everything else were equal. The Grand does not have the Cafe Caribe (which we loved on CB), but the Horizon Food court is just as good as the CB...Entertainment was better on CB, because they have Burt Stratton who plays the piano and sings.. He was great.. we went to his show every night and most nights it was standing room only. The islands were beautiful on both itinerary's...it depends on what you're looking for... When we were on the CB, it was just by DH and I and we were looking to relax and unwind..with more at sea days... The Grand and the Western Caribbean is more port intensive and we loved that with the kids this time. We did some great excursions and had a ball!!! I hope this helps...If you need any excursion info...let me know... Have a blast whatever you decide to do...!! Either one will be great:D

We've been on both and while the Grand has its faults, we prefer it over Caribbean Princess. Both ships are essentially the same, except that CB carries 500 more passengers. I thought that had some impact on the service on board and can make tendering a lengthier process.

I don't think you'd go wrong either way. Choose the itinerary you think is best, and you should be okay.

Both of the above posters are correct. I have been on both in the last 6 months and they are both great ships, and very similar, except for what has been mentioned above and a couple of other things. If I had to choose today, I would pick the Grand because it is essentially the same size ship (one less deck of cabins) and as said, carries about 500 less people. Their layouts are very similar as best I could tell, except for the pools and buffet (no caribe cafe on Grand). In November, the CB had a card playing and board game room (Jokers), but on the Grand, that was the internet cafe, no card room that I could find. Also, the names of the restaurants and at least one of the lounges was different.

The dining room food was excellent on both in my opinion, but I kind of liked the buffet on the CB a bit more. Seemed to have a better selection to me. As said, the Grand is about 6 years or so older, but I really couldn't tell it. They were doing painting and such on both when I was on them, and I assume that's pretty normal.

I loved both itinerary's (Eastern and Western Caribbean), and as stated the CB has more sea days, and of course the Grand is leaving Galveston this weekend, and won't be back till sometime in the fall I think, and then it will leave from Fort Lauderdale on a Western itinerary.

Bottom line, they are both great ships and I would sail again tomorrow on both in a heartbeat!icon7.gif

Mike

I have also sailed on both and really enjoyed them both. If I had to chose I would probably make my decision based on the itinerary and which one had ports that appealed to me more. That being said I would give the edge to the Caribbean. The way I see it, the Grand was the first in that class and the Caribbean the last so they only improve with each ship as they think of new things or ways to 'make better' what might not be seen as perfect. (I have also sailed on the Golden so I have seen the improvement.)

I do like the Café Caribe on ships because it does offer more variety - hence the Caribbean is better because the Grand doesn't offer it. The actual dining room food on each was equal - as are the cabins. I didn't notice the extra 500 passengers on the Caribbean at all. (Nor did I notice any more passengers on the Crown - Princess has mastered adding spaces for people to go so crowds aren't a problem.)

You will enjoy either and can't go wrong with a decision like that. Like I said, pick it based on the ports. Bon Voyage!!

One factor to consider is their capacities. The Grand will have 520 less people competing for theater seats, buffet tables, and pool lounge chairs. ;)

But like those above, I would base my decision more on the itinerary and not the ship's personality and entertainment which can and does change from the time other posters have been to when you would go.

The reason that the Grand doesn't have a card room is because when it was built, in the 90's they didn't have internet cafes, so when I first sailed on teh ship, that was the card room that they converted into the internet cafe that I believe on the more modern ships is up on deck 7.

Archived