Transfers between London and Southampton

Any recommendations on how to best get between London and Southampton. We can either go from the airport or downtown London. The cost that Royal Caribbean charges is outrageous. We are also looking for a tour on the return before we go from the pier to the airport. We don't leave until 4:00 in the afternoon. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

as Southampton is not at the Med Sea but North Sea you better check for a LOT (!!!) numbers of answers in the British Isle/Western Europe Thread!!!

Other options are

limo-service

coach

train + coach connection

But details in the other thread!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hi,

as Southampton is not at the Med Sea but North Sea you better check for a LOT (!!!) numbers of answers in the British Isle/Western Europe Thread!!!

Actually, Southampton is on the (English) channel, not in the North Sea:D Tends to be a tiny bit warmer, and reputedly smoother seas. (Not done the North Sea yet, but will in June!)

And, yes, there are lots of answers re transport and tours on the 2 Britain boards.

Check out http://www.visit-southampton.co.uk/ for both travel and suggested tours.

Karen

Cruiser Man

We did the British Isles last year. We used Eddie Manning for our transportations between Southampton and London. We used him in both directions - from London we toured Salsbury and Stonehenge. From Southampton we toured Windsor Castle. I highy recommend his services.

His email is eddie@limo.co.uk. His web site is http://www.limo.co.uk

We are using Eddie Manning also. Picking us up from the airport and bringing us to our hotel for three nights, then from London to the pier. As our flight home is not until 8:30 pm, we are also doing the Stonehenge and Salisbury tour on the way back to Heathrow. Anything you particularly liked in Salisbury? Thanks.

I know many people like to take the public transportation, but we just have too much luggage to even consider that and on vacation, we like to be pampered a little.

I just posted this morning about National Express, so check the Britain board threads.

If you are economizing, National Express is really great! We had two large and heavy rolling duffels, plus two carry-on bags. We had no problem. You have to walk to the coach station inside Heathrow, and it's about a 10 minute walk.

I figured the cruise line was going to put us on a bus, so why not save a HUNDRED dollars or more and take National Express.

Anyway, I recommend it highly. They are very efficient and easy to use. All our details are in the other threads.

Regarding the post about Salisbury and Stonehenge - Salisbury is my home city (in fact, I grew up in Amesbury, which is the village about 7 miles away that is next to Stonehenge). It's so nice to see Salisbury up on people's lists of things to see - it's a lovely place - if any one has any questions about it please shout!

CT

How far from the cruiseship terminal does National Express drop you? In looking at the map it seems like a kilometer or two.

Also, is there a place nearby to store your luggage for a few hours when you arrive in Southampton?

Hi to All...

We used the National Express both ways. The station is a quick taxi ride to the docks, though I saw alot of Brits hoofing it from the town. The station is small and the people there are of little help. Check your time schedule carefully and realize that security at Heathrow takes a long time. We cut it pretty close on the return portion and nearly missed our 12:30 flight.

We wished we were able to make a reservation with the limo service that one of us of the CC board, English Rose, could provide. Would have made things less stressful.

Dennis

There is no luggage drop at the bus lobby. I'd take the taxi to the ship, drop off your luggage, and then go on to your next stop. The porters are there to take your luggage, and then the taxi can get you to wherever.

• 1 month later...

http://www.london-transfers.com/

We used the above transfer service from our London hotel to Southampton. Cheap it isn't, but it was so nice not to have to schlep our luggage in train stations, up and down stairs etc. The transfer for three worked out to be slightly cheaper than the Princess cruise transfer and took only 90 minutes.

Archived