Stingray city with a 5 year old

TMJJS

Any recommendations for a tour operator who will allow a 5 year old in the water at Stingray City? We also have a 11 year old son and along with my wife we want to go to Stingray City as a family.

Also, is there time to do snorkeling if you do a Stingray City tour? I was there over 20 years ago and remember great snorkeling off of 7 mile beach and the harbor. If there is time any recommendations for someone that combines the two or a 2nd tour operator?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

We went with Nativeways in Dec. of '05... did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour... it was great, and we hope to do it again in December! My daughter was 5 1/2 when we did the tour... no problem with her age... she loved the stingrays and snorkeling and can't wait to do it again in 8 months!

Here's the website...

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

just click on 'rays, reef, and rum point on the left hand side of the page...

We went with Nativeways in Dec. of '05... did the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point tour... it was great, and we hope to do it again in December! My daughter was 5 1/2 when we did the tour... no problem with her age... she loved the stingrays and snorkeling and can't wait to do it again in 8 months!

Here's the website...

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/

just click on 'rays, reef, and rum point on the left hand side of the page...

Totally agree, great excusion. Your child will have a wonderful time and so will you.

Is there a difference between Stingray City and Stingray Sandbar? I want to go to the one where I can stand in 3-5 feet of water.

I very much disagree with the guy who wrote that there is a difference between the two. I don't know where he is talking about. All the tour operators and the natives call this one place both Stingray City or the Sandbar. I have been there three times and have a very close friend who was born and is still there and has his own business and they refer to the one place as either name. I think anytime you book a trip to Stingray City you will be in the same place which is where all the stingrays are and you will not be in deep water. Have fun! If you want a good trip with a good operation, check out www.ebankswatersports.com. That is who my family has used them a few different times when we went there and have never been disappointed.

I very much disagree with the guy who wrote that there is a difference between the two. I don't know where he is talking about. All the tour operators and the natives call this one place both Stingray City or the Sandbar. I have been there three times and have a very close friend who was born and is still there and has his own business and they refer to the one place as either name. I think anytime you book a trip to Stingray City you will be in the same place which is where all the stingrays are and you will not be in deep water. Have fun! If you want a good trip with a good operation, check out www.ebankswatersports.com. That is who my family has used them a few different times when we went there and have never been disappointed.

The guy (drew sailbum) who wrote the difference between the two is a resident of Grand Cayman. I think he nows what he's talking about. And onehotmomof2 is from where? He did state that "occasionally tour operators call 'The Sandbar' Stingray City as well - thus the confusion. Most snorkel trips, and only a few scuba trips, that visit the stingrays go to this 'Sandbar' site." It's obvious that the names are synonymous for the typical tourist, but for SCUBA dive tours, Stingray City likely means the original site in deeper water.

It's obvious that the names are synonymous for the typical tourist, but for SCUBA dive tours, Stingray City likely means the original site in deeper water.

The water isn't deep enough to scuba dive or do any 'serious' snorkeling at the Sandbar site. The Sandbar is just that...a sandbar...with lots and lots of stingrays and tour boats. The water there is anywhere from waist to chest deep on average. Stingray City, the original site, is much deeper, and is a snorkel or scuba only site...you can't stand up in the water there...well, not and still have your head above water anyway... ;)

In answer to your original question, we went with Captain Marvin with kids 3,4,5 & 5 on the snorkeling/stingray tour. It was kind of cool and choppy that day, so the kids only stayed in the water a couple of minutes for snorkeling and only one would go in with the stingrays, but they are allowed on the trip and the crew was very helpful with them for the brief time they were in the water.

The kids loved the cruise out and back on the boat even though they didn't do the activities.

In answer to your original question, we went with Captain Marvin with kids 3,4,5 & 5 on the snorkeling/stingray tour.

We have booked with Captain Marvin's based on the large number of posts we have read and the fact that they consider our 11 year old son a child instead of an adult for pricing:D

Thanks again to all the answers and help - now we just have to figure out the other 3 ports :confused:

• 1 month later...

We'll have 3 6yo's in our group, and I'm afraid they will be terrified of the rays since Steve Irwin's death. They are already afraid of the idea of swimming with them, but I have to find a way to change their minds! I know my 6yo dd will love it once she tries it! Any suggestions?

We'll have 3 6yo's in our group, and I'm afraid they will be terrified of the rays since Steve Irwin's death. They are already afraid of the idea of swimming with them, but I have to find a way to change their minds! I know my 6yo dd will love it once she tries it! Any suggestions?

Try to get them to understand that these rays are used to human and depend on them for the food. Steve Irwin's was a different type that was not used to humans. Kinda like if you have a pet cat and the wild cat that doesn't want you near it.

We went with Capt. Marvin's and had one little girl who was frightened by the stingrays and wouldn't get out of the boat. They did try to bring a small one up for her to touch but she wouldn't. My DS(10) hung onto me like a leech but did enjoy it. Later we went snorkeling to a different reef and there was a stingray the guides had named Frisbee that was born with out a tail and didn't have a barb. My DS was more comfortable with her.

Archived