hiring a driver for the day

tyson

DH and I will be cruising to Cozumel in February 2013 with both sets of our parents and we were trying to find something that we know they will enjoy besides just hanging out on the beach all day. We were discussing trying to find a car big enough to fit all 6 or 8 of us (if our friends cruising with us decided not to dive). I found this thread yesterday and have already booked the day with Gerry. DH was so excited when I told him about it. He said this is exactly what he wanted to do and he thinks our parents will really enjoy it.

Thanks for all the great info!!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Cozumel on 8/18/12. We had Cantero for the day. He was waiting on us at the taxi stand. Very easy, everyone knew who he was. Our first stop was at the 7-11 for some cold beverages, then off to a snorkel spot which was great! The snorkel was free we only had to pay for the equipment. After the snorkel we went to Mr. Sanchos. Didn't stay there long as it was very crowded and hot so we headed off to the East side of the island. The East side is absolutely beautiful!! The coconut shrimp at Rastas is wonderful!! Rastas was actually my favorite stop of the entire trip. Our tour began at 2 and we were back at the ship around 7p.m. So it was around a 5 hour trip for us. No rushing - great time!!

DH and I will be cruising to Cozumel in February 2013 with both sets of our parents and we were trying to find something that we know they will enjoy besides just hanging out on the beach all day. We were discussing trying to find a car big enough to fit all 6 or 8 of us (if our friends cruising with us decided not to dive). I found this thread yesterday and have already booked the day with Gerry. DH was so excited when I told him about it. He said this is exactly what he wanted to do and he thinks our parents will really enjoy it.

Thanks for all the great info!!

You will have a wonderful day. The East side is beautiful....

We took my husband's parents (they are in their 70's) and they thoroughly enjoyed it!

We just booked Hire a Driver for the day for our cruise leaving this weekend and we were assigned Cantaro! It's just going to be DH and I and we are planning on doing a little shopping, eating some yummy local food, San gervasio ruins, chocolate tour, hacienda Antigua museum tour, and maybe a little sightseeing. We are very excited! Thanks everyone for sharing your reviews and recs. I will be sure to post my own review when we get back.

Just hired Crescensio Lopez. Great guy - can definately recommend him. He is really friendly and reliable. creslopez41955@hotmail.com

Hi! Is this guy an independent driver or with the hireadriver company? Have you used his services or just scheduled? Since I don't speak spanish, is his English easily understood? We are considering a driver for our next visit.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by cruise-aholicRN

Saw on the driver for a day thread that someone had recommended this guy as a guide/driver.

Just wondering if any of you have used him and what you thought about him.

He has good prices, but I want to be sure he is reliable, trustworthy, etc.

Any info anyone has would be great!

Thanks!

Saw on the driver for a day thread that someone had recommended this guy as a guide/driver.

Just wondering if any of you have used him and what you thought about him.

He has good prices, but I want to be sure he is reliable, trustworthy, etc.

Any info anyone has would be great!

Thanks!

If you put his hame into the "Driver for a day" thread search engine you should find a review from earlier in the year, maybe Jan/Feb when he was used as a back-up driver for the "driver for a day" group. I have not used him but I did contact him as a back-up to Gerry for one trip and he replied promptly.

This last trip we had Gerry take us to the San Gervasio ruins and then a local eatery back towards town. Gerry has always been very kind and attentive, no matter how big the group and is always willing to help. He is always available if you need him but knows how to give you space as well. When we have travelled as a couple we enjoyed inviting him to join us for lunch but when we had a larger group he politely declined.

We are taking two of our children and their spouses (total of six) to Cozumel - will be there in December. How do we contact the driver "Gerry?" Does his vehicle have room for six? What is a reasonable charge for, say, six hours?

Where did Cresencio take you and how much does he charge?

I contacted him earlier this year and his rates were $90 for three hours then $25 Per hour for up to 4 people. He said he had a minivan for 7 people with A/C but didn't give me the rates for more than 4 people or tell me if this was his "regular vehicle". Since there were only 2 of us I didn't ask and we were able to get Gerry from the hire a driver thread whom we had used before.

He did answer promptly and we would have used him if necessary as his rates (at least for 4) were about the same as Gerry - not sure if he would be less expensive for a bigger group. If you have still not heard from him perhaps you should email again - maybe it did not get through. He has sometimes acted as a substitute driver for the "hire a driver" group.

Just got back from our trip to Cozumel. We hired Leo (Driver for the Day) who was absolutely amazing. He was so informative, helpful and efficient. We had an outstanding day. The charges were $95 for 3 hours and $25 per hour thereafter. (We paid a $50 deposit on reservation). We were 2 couples, had a minivan and split the cost. $72.50 per couple is waaaaaay less than a ships tour and we customized the 5 hour tour to suit ourselves. We had the funnest day, stopping first to fill the cooler with beers and ice and then stopped at the Tequila factory for a free tour and tasting. After that we spent quite a while at Coconuts .... a really fun bar on the ocean and then finally moved on to Playa Bonita Restaurant for a yummy lunch - also right on the beach. This is exactly what we were looking for - a laid back tour to ceebrate my birthday and not having to drive ourselves. I can't say enough about how wonderful Leo was, we will definitely use him again when we return to Cozumel.

Just got back from our trip to Cozumel. We hired Leo (Driver for the Day) who was absolutely amazing. He was so informative, helpful and efficient. We had an outstanding day. The charges were $95 for 3 hours and $25 per hour thereafter. (We paid a $50 deposit on reservation). We were 2 couples, had a minivan and split the cost. $72.50 per couple is waaaaaay less than a ships tour and we customized the 5 hour tour to suit ourselves. We had the funnest day, stopping first to fill the cooler with beers and ice and then stopped at the Tequila factory for a free tour and tasting. After that we spent quite a while at Coconuts .... a really fun bar on the ocean and then finally moved on to Playa Bonita Restaurant for a yummy lunch - also right on the beach. This is exactly what we were looking for - a laid back tour to ceebrate my birthday and not having to drive ourselves. I can't say enough about how wonderful Leo was, we will definitely use him again when we return to Cozumel.

One of the best excursions ever. We did Playa Bonita for lunch .... great.

That east side is unique. Beautiful. Just beautiful beaches, restarurants and bars. And no hotels, nothing, not even electricity. Amazing place.

We had Alberto .... but ...... everyone we met on that tour on the island was great ... really enjoyed meeting all of the folks on the east side, just a great time, and relatively inexpensive.

We will be in Cozumel for the 9th time this December and will be having Gerry take us to our favorite spots for the third time. This time we will only be going to the Tequila farm (to buy our favorite Mar Mix!) and on to Playa Bonita for lunch. Having been there twice before, we so look forward to the best shrimp ever! Then we will have Gerry take us to the beach for the rest of the day.

Having him take us around is so worth the cost!!

We will be in Cozumel for the 9th time this December and will be having Gerry take us to our favorite spots for the third time. This time we will only be going to the Tequila farm (to buy our favorite Mar Mix!) and on to Playa Bonita for lunch. Having been there twice before, we so look forward to the best shrimp ever! Then we will have Gerry take us to the beach for the rest of the day.

Having him take us around is so worth the cost!!

Glad you had great times! Which beach and did Gerry stay with you there or drop you off?

:)

We are back from our cruise and had a good experience with Cantaro last week. He took us to a place that was set up with different stalls/vendors. I don't remember the name of it, but there was a plaza and I remember seeing a sign somewhere that said something about flea markets. I bought some random souvineir Aztec and Mayan calendars/wall decorations. I bargained with the vendor but it was so hot that I threw in the towel quickly just so I cold buy them and get out. Lol. Afterwards, we went to Ron Jon's to pick up some t shirts, then he took us to a marina with great views. After taking pics and taking in scenery, we went to a local market where he showed us ingredients commonly used in cooking there then we headed to a local eatery where we had gorditas, tacos, and jamaica--refreshing floral drink. We were the only non locals there but everyone was so friendly and everything was tasty. DH was unsure about drinking the ice and water but we were fine. No problemo. Then we went to the kaokao chocolate tour where we went nuts buying their yummy chocolate. After that we hit Hacienda Antgua tequila museum/tour. This was so much fun. We had a great tour guide and there was only one other couple there when we arrived. We could have as many as many samples as we wanted(which we gladly did) and then bought our favorites. I love the handmade/blown glass bottls. My fave was the coktel margheritta, but DH loved the Reposado and Coffee(unfortunately, airport security went through our luggage and did not rewrap the bottle we so carefully wrapped so we ended up with a wet sticky, broken mess of glass all over inside of our luggage. The bottle was just sitting on top unprotected). Anyhoo, back to the review, after our purchases Cantaro picked us up and took us along the coast. He stopped to show us the sea turtle nests and then we were off to coconuts where we had another drink while we enjoyed the beautiful view. Heads up: the blue margarita is VERY strong. Wow. It was a huge glass too. After that, Cantaro took us to his favorite beach, playa plancar(planacar??). There was tons of seaweed in the water so we did not stay long and headed back to the ship. All in all, it was a good Experience. We did not have a set plan and jus told him we wanted to go to Kaokao, hacienda Antigua, nice beach, eat lunch at a local spot, and do some shopping. Cantaro was very knowledgeable about Cozumel and explained a lot about the sights and history during our trip around the island. I would book him again although I would pick a different beach just for hanging out and wading in the water. Price was $95 for 3 hours and then 25/hr after that plus tip. We spent about 6 or so hours I think. We booked through the hire a driver for the day website and paid the $50 deposit online and cash directly to the driver at the end of the tour.

Glad you had great times! Which beach and did Gerry stay with you there or drop you off?

:)

Last time we had him take us to Mr. Sancho's, and he waited while we had our massages. This time we are going to Playa Uvas, as my husband is going to be scuba diving with them. It will depend on what time we get there and how long we will be staying as to whether we'll have him wait this time.