times for anc-independence mine-wasilla

RSF Cruiser

On Monday, July 23 I'm planning to drive from Anchorage to Independence Mine, and then meet my husband in Wasilla at about 2:00 PM.

I'm trying to figure out what time I need to leave Anchorage... I want to tour the mine and stop at the Musk Ox Farm and Eklutna Histroical Park on the way up to Independence Mine. About how long will it take me if I go at a leisurely pace?

Depends, the Musk Ox tour is an hour, so is the Eklutna Spirit House tour- both definately worth while. You have Little to NO views of the Musk Ox unless you take the tour- all solid fencing. IF you drive past them and up on the hill, depending if they are in a field of view, you may see them, but bring binoculars. If going to Fairbanks, you have a FAR better look at them.

Depending on where in Anchorage you are leaving from allow an hour to Palmer.

Hatcher Pass is an hour roiund trip and I've spent over an hour at the Mine.

So in my opinion, you need an earlier start then 9am. Factor out timewise, what you wish to spend your time on depending on my rough timeframes above. Add an hour if taking any of the tours,- you can not count on you being right there and walking in for an immediate tour.

Archived