exchange money

crewsin250

We will be sailing to Europe for the first time onboard X Century and I was wondering if we have extra Euros or GBP left over, will they exchange them onboard the ship to USD. Thanks Paul

If they don't they certainly will at the airport.

I would suggest just keeping them.. That is what I do. I figure why get "taxed" on both ends.... the sell leaving and the buy when I return. Plus with the dollar declining... I'm making money letting them sit (not a whooe lot) .

This way I will have ready cash when we return..... Plus.... it gives you a reason to return. I currently have some Euros / GBPs / CDs

Try to exchange as little money as possible. Use your Visa card whenever possible and get cash with your ATM card. If you don't have an ATM card I strongly suggest you get one before you leave home. It is safer than carrying cash and you can withdraw only what you need. You can also watch for the rate of exchange which fluxuates daily. You will get the best rate from an ATM machine and your credit card. Dealing with banks in Europe won't be so easy. Have fun on your trip.

A word of warning if you bank does not have a connection with the overseas bank they may charge a service fee -- like $5.00 US -- for each use of their ATM. So if you draw money make sure it is the amount you need for the stay.

Made that mistake once drew $25 in England and found out later about the $5 service charge plus normal exchange fees. I figured I lost 30% in that transaction

This is why I get certain amounts of money from my local bank for cabs & tips before I leave.

Our next cruise is from Europe and up Norway coast to so I got Euro & $100 in Kroner (Norway) for the 7 ports in Norway.

Ray

A word of warning if you bank does not have a connection with the overseas bank they may charge a service fee -- like $5.00 US -- for each use of their ATM. So if you draw money make sure it is the amount you need for the stay.

Made that mistake once drew $25 in England and found out later about the $5 service charge plus normal exchange fees. I figured I lost 30% in that transaction

This is why I get certain amounts of money from my local bank for cabs & tips before I leave.

Our next cruise is from Europe and up Norway coast to so I got Euro & $100 in Kroner (Norway) for the 7 ports in Norway.

Ray

I have never had this happen to me.

Where should we exchange before we cruise? --want to have Euros on hand at least 'til we get safely to the pre-cruise hotel in Barcelona. Is Bank of America a good choice-- they recently acquired our MBNA card whihc gives Royal Points.

We just recently bought foreign currency at Bank of America. They will charge you a cash advance fee for this service. I went into the bank and paid in cash (since I don't have an account other than their credit card) and they charged a 7 dollar shipping fee even though I picked it up at the bank. That was better than any of the other places we checked out though.

Nancy

We will be sailing to Europe for the first time onboard X Century and I was wondering if we have extra Euros or GBP left over, will they exchange them onboard the ship to USD.

Thanks Paul

Depending on the amount you can use these for tips - if the ship is staying in the area the steward/waiter can use these better than dollars for personal expenses ashore [not sure how this affects remittances back home, which is of course where a lot of the money goes]. On river cruises in Eastern Europe I've been known to tip in four different currencies as I unload at the end!

I never seem to have any difficulty finding an ATM machine [my bank allows me 4 no-fee withdrawals a month at other banks] immediately upon arrival in another country [they are always in airports, and if you can't find it there your taxi driver will have no problem locating one so that you can pay him!], and get currency at least 5% cheaper than getting it in the US, from an airport exchange booth or from the Celebrity on board bank. And my credit card [which I carefully selected to have no foreign exchange surcharge] generally beats my ATM rate.

Archived