Get Me to the Ship On Time. Pray for Oakland.

Okay, we're starting the countdown. We have to travel 4,000 miles from the San Francsico Bay Area to get to San Juan to board Adventure of the Seas on Sunday. We reside about 25 miles away from San Francisco airport and had already booked an airport hotel for Friday night so we could facilitate catching our 6:40 am flight to Miami and then San Juan. We are having great weather in the SF Bay Area and I didn't think weather would impact our flight BUT I also didn't plan on a tanker truck exploding last night and melting 250 yards of highway that is our direct path to the airport and one of the busiest commute roads in the country. It will take months to repair the damage. We've got to get to SFO on Fri night. And so the saga begins. Stay tuned.

I can totally feel your pain........we had to endure the BIG DIG here in Boston for way too many years. Everytime we had to go somewhere, we had a different detour and more traffic backups. Luckily you know you will have trouble and can compensate for that when you leave. Good luck and hope all goes well

At least you can go across the San Mateo bridge, can't you? It's out of the way, but at least it's "near" to SFO. Imagine the poor schmucks who have to try getting to downtown these days. Yikes. Glad I don't live in the Bay area!

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the idea, but the most direct way to San Mateo melted yesterday along with the approach to the freeway. Unfortunately in California we don't have lot's of arterial "parallel" roads that exist in the eastern part of the country. Their are usually only 2 or 3 north/south routes to choose from and they are all packed right now.

I have got a question about this situation. My daughter is flying into Oak in 3rd week in May but she is going to San Francisco for the summer. Will she be able to get there?

What is the normal ride between the two? Should I see if I can fly her into SFO instead?

Hi Sue:

The state of Calif is devoting resources to the problem and I'm sure over time it will get resolved. 3 weeks from now it should be a lot better. At the same time if i was heading for SF and could fly into SFO instead of Oakland, I would. Normally, it should take 45 minutes to get from Oakland to SF, however because of this it will take lots longer. I'd also recommend thinking about the BART train as an alternative for her. I'm concerned for us because we have to travel on FRI which is only a few days away.

Just get off and go around. It impacts commute people and truck traffic, it shouldn't have much impact getting to a hotel on Friday. 511.org has route information. I actually prefer the San Mateo bridge for SFO access, it always seems faster. :)

thanks for the info, I should have first said good luck to you on Friday. I would leave really early to get to your hotel. OAK was sooooooo much cheaper for her to fly into. We live on Long Island and have a small airport here (7 minutes from our house) and she can fly to OAK for 99$ each way. Anything to SFO was double or triple the price. I will definitely check into the BART train for her.

Polodad, since you're in WC, try taking 680 south to 580 west, then 238 connector to SB 880 to the San Mateo Bridge. Or 24 west to 13 to 580 east and then 238 and 880. It will be slow on a Friday afternoon, but there are ways around that whole disaster area.

I have got a question about this situation. My daughter is flying into Oak in 3rd week in May but she is going to San Francisco for the summer. Will she be able to get there?

What is the normal ride between the two? Should I see if I can fly her into SFO instead?

Just tell her to take the BART into San Francisco. That is the train that goes under the bay. Easiest way (I think) to get into the city. You just take a quick bus ride from Oakland Airport to the train (5 minutes) and then the train takes you right into downtown with plenty of convenient stops in the city. Easy as that.

I agree with emilygrace, if you take 680 S to 580 W to 238 and the SM bridge. You will avoid the whole Oak-Berkeley area. :D

BART is a good option to San Francisco, depending on how much luggage your daughter has, and if she is trying to move it by herself. If she has several bags, it might be worth it to use one of the shuttle companies. Oakland airport has a list of shuttle companies on their website.:)

Thanks. I appreciate the suggestions. Unfortunately, I've driven 680 south and 580 W on Fri eve in commute and weekend traffic (main route to Yosemite & LA) and it can be a nightmare under normal conditions. let alone with other folks trying to avoid the Maze problem. Unfortunately the San Mateo Bridge (SM) isn't affectiknately called the S&M for no reason. The reality is that what should have ben an easy Fri eve trip to the airport has turned into anxiety and a challenge.

Under the circumstances this might be a good day to take a half day at work and get on the road early. Once you are past the bad section stop and have a nice lunch and go to the hotel. This way you will start your vacation rested and relaxed instead of stressed out.

We're flying into Oakland on Saturday morning for our cruise that leaves from San Francisco on Saturday... Our first experience flying in day of cruise... :rolleyes:

Sue, We did some research on BART and it looks like it's pretty easy....

They have a shuttle which is called Air Bart that picks up just outside the OAK terminal and takes you to the Coliseum/Oakland Bart station. The cost for the shuttle is $3 per person.

From there you can get on BART to go into the city... We'd be getting off at the Embarkadaro Station and the cost is $3.35 per person.

Here's a link to the planner on the BART website.... It makes it very easy... http://www.bart.gov/stations/quickplanner/quickplanner.asp

My only concern for us is that we can take a trolley to the pier or we could catch a cab at that point... We'll have a few pieces of luggage... We won't have a problem picking it up and getting it on the trolley, but it does take up some space. It's been a few years, but I remember the trolleys as been rather crowded.

Any advice from locals out there???

Elluv;

We've taken BART to the ship before. Just get off at the Embarcadero Station, come above ground and catch a cab from in front of the Hyatt across the Street. It's a 5 minute $5-$8 cab ride to the Pier from the Embarcadero Station. Piece of cake. We'd been considering BART for this trip except for too much luggage & both trips Fri eve outbound & Monday 5 pm return would be during commute on BART & not fun.

Okay, we're starting the countdown. We have to travel 4,000 miles from the San Francsico Bay Area to get to San Juan to board Adventure of the Seas on Sunday. We reside about 25 miles away from San Francisco airport and had already booked an airport hotel for Friday night so we could facilitate catching our 6:40 am flight to Miami and then San Juan. We are having great weather in the SF Bay Area and I didn't think weather would impact our flight BUT I also didn't plan on a tanker truck exploding last night and melting 250 yards of highway that is our direct path to the airport and one of the busiest commute roads in the country. It will take months to repair the damage. We've got to get to SFO on Fri night. And so the saga begins. Stay tuned.

Not to minnimize your plight but....there are 3 OTHER bridges you could take!

Go north and take the bridge near richmond and the golden gate bridge or go south and take one of those 2 bridges.

All you really need to do is leave 1-2 hours earlier than you had planned.

no big deal...!

Hi Polodad, I'm over in the Eastbay too and it looks like you won't have any problem going over to SFO over the Bay bridge. You'll run into detours coming back though. 80 bridge to West Grand to Northgate to 980 and then to 24. Seems the big issue is going east bound not west bound. Hope you enjoy your trip! Sorry the freeway meltdown happened just when you're suppose to be getting excited and happy about your upcoming excellent adventure.

Buzbon, thanks. Fiance says same info. We will be able to get to the airport but coming back may be an adventure. Maybe if I plead to RCL and say we're homeless they'll let us do a back to back cruise, lol.

Hi elle. You must be doing the Pacific Coastal! We will be boarding in YVR May 12th. :D BART to Embarcadero station is easy enough, but the F line streetcars (trolleys) to *Our Pier*, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are pretty much standing room only on the Saturdays we have visited.

You will see the Hyatt when you come up from the station. It would probably be easier to get a cab to take you down the way to the pier. :)

Hi elle. You must be doing the Pacific Coastal! We will be boarding in YVR May 12th. :D BART to Embarcadero station is easy enough, but the F line streetcars (trolleys) to *Our Pier*, Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf are pretty much standing room only on the Saturdays we have visited.

You will see the Hyatt when you come up from the station. It would probably be easier to get a cab to take you down the way to the pier. :)

Well, the vote is 3 to 0 for taking a cab vs. the trolley... I think we'll take a cab...

We'll watch for you when we get off the ship in Vancouver! Have a great cruise!

Archived