Should I expect rude comments?

lostie

Infants and younger children may not have specific memories of a particular event, but the individual that the child will become is the sum of their experiences. Spending time with people that love you is never a bad thing!

Couldn't have said it better, Onessa!

Believe me our family of 6 (4 DDs ages 2, 4, 6 & 8) gets the looks sometimes! We have to buy 2 rooms on our cruise (2 kids have to pay the adult rate & I don't think they will eat as much as adults) so they whole point that they are paying a lot of money doesn't cut it with me! We are cruising in 3 1/2 weeks and plan on having a blast as a family!

One time on a plane the woman sitting next to me scooted as far away from me with a look of horror that I was holding an evil being instead of holding my 1yo on my lap. My revenge was that my 1yo DD never made a sound the whole trip and fell asleep as soon as we took off and didn't wake up until we landed. I pointed how good she was on the flight out as we were getting off the plane. She couldn't say anything!

My question is "Wasn't EVERYONE a child at some point?" or did some of those rude people just appear as adults on this planet? LOL

One time on a plane the woman sitting next to me scooted as far away from me with a look of horror that I was holding an evil being instead of holding my 1yo on my lap. My revenge was that my 1yo DD never made a sound the whole trip and fell asleep as soon as we took off and didn't wake up until we landed. I pointed how good she was on the flight out as we were getting off the plane. She couldn't say anything!

I was flying with my DD when she was 8 mo old and we got bumped up to an earlier flight and were the last to board. There were only 2 seats left on the whole plane (open seating). One was between two teenagers and the other between 2 30-40ish women. I asked the women if I could sit between them and they kinda snarled and said "she has a baby, ugh." :eek: :mad: I said never mind and asked the teenagers (one row back other side). They actually moved over and let me have the isle. :rolleyes: The best part was the whole flight from FLL to HOU my DD slept (which she always does). When we were getting off they (the women) commented on how wonderful she was. I said, "I knew she would be!!" :p

Believe me our family of 6 (4 DDs ages 2, 4, 6 & 8) gets the looks sometimes! We have to buy 2 rooms on our cruise (2 kids have to pay the adult rate & I don't think they will eat as much as adults) so they whole point that they are paying a lot of money doesn't cut it with me! We are cruising in 3 1/2 weeks and plan on having a blast as a family!

My question is "Wasn't EVERYONE a child at some point?" or did some of those rude people just appear as adults on this planet? LOL

I have 2 DS (2 & 6). My DH & I want another child and I hate when people tell me I should only have 2 kids. Whose business is it how many children I have? I applaud families like yours! :D The fact that you travel with your 4 children gets me even more excited about having another one. It does suck though that you have to pay an adult fare for 2 of your kids.:mad:

I just don't worry about those people who think "children . . . ugh." They really do miss out on some fun. I've always liked kids, and I am very happy to have my own. I hope I never turn sour, like those other folks.

And, I'm certainly glad my parents never have. :)

D

I have cruised 3 times when I was single. This is my first time taking my kids (DS 2 & DS 6). I often see people making comments on threads about "leave your kids at home" and other rude remarks. I honestly say my DH may flip out if he hears someone say something about leaving my kids home when we paid to be on the same vacation as them. I mean how many times can we go to Disney World? I just want to prepare myself in case we do come upon suck remarks. Has anyone encountered someone being rude, simply because you had your kids with you?:confused:

event.png

Rude people do rude things. It is one of the things in life you have to learn to deal with.

My daughter has been on six cruises since her first at age 23 months (last one was at age 8). I didn't hear any negative comments. She's either with one or both of use or checked into the kids' area. Once in a while she gets whiney, but usually she's pretty well-behaved.

People do say rude things, but they can also change their minds. We recently went to Spain and as ever chose to ate lunch in a restaurant. (We had hired a Casita.) We entered a quiet restaurant that sold traditional Andalusian tapas. Two elderly English ladies said, at the top of their voices, "Ugh, a baby, how dare they bring a child in here!" they then speant the entire meal muttering about people with children. By the end of the meal they said to us "what a dear little boy, he is so good, trying different foods and behaving nicely.":D People are too quick to judge. :rolleyes: He was nearly 18months BTW.

Also, never be afraid to apologise. We flew back from London this past Sunday and although a short flight he played up the whole time, and this was his 8th flight ever. He was an utter, utter nightmare. He was fed, changed, had a snack and juice in flight, but was having a "terrible two's" moment. When we landed we apologised to the two people in front. One was an angel and said to us not to worry, babies will be babies and nothing can be done. The other passenger huffed off!

The moral of the story is, you can never please everyone. Be mindful of others, you'll find on the whole others are mindful of you, and enjoy your holiday.

I'm so relieved to see that the experiences of some of you veteran cruisers is different than the posts I see. I did notice that most of you are on Princess, Carnival, NCL and RCCI. We're on Celebrity (for other reasons than our offspring) and on that board, many of them are very anti-children. I did finally post and said that we are on a Med cruise in August. Europe basically shuts down in August and if they want to avoid children, don't bother going anywhere near the Med that month. I'm talking everything, hotels, beaches, cruises, reststops...there will be kids and lots of them!

It's valid to not want kids on a vacation. If they feel that way, they need to book off of school breaks and lobby their favorite cruise lines to have child-free cruises. AI's do it so why shouldn't cruise companies? This would work especially well on Celebrity, which is now the same company as RCCI so they could launch "twin" sailings in the same market, one with and one without kids. I would feel good knowing that the really anti-kiddie brigadists were taken care of elsewhere!

We're older parents who took advantage of our many child-free years so I can still relate. Actually, some of the worst huffers are my fellow Americans, who are used to lots of kid-oriented restaurants and vacations. Not the case here in Europe with no Chuck-E-Cheeze's. It's perfectly acceptable to take kids in restaurants here, especially in small French villages with only one restaurant! The American couple at a table next to us weren't happy but I simply ignored them. I'm sure they were only tourists and didn't realize how things are done here.

Oh and btw, there were no kids on my first cruise. Perhaps suggest they book to Anarctica next time lol!

I think it all depends on the temperment of the child and the parents behavior. I have to say I am a pretty lucky mommy as every time I take my DS anywhere everyone comments on how well behavied he is and full of smiles. I am also the type of person that if he were to start getting loud or misbehaving he would be immediatly taken out of the public and disaplined. DS is a toddler and believe it or not he is very well behavied in public...mind you at home he is not as well behavied LOL.

However, I have been on a few cruises with parents who do not parent at all. They let their kids run around terrorizing people and screaming during dinner etc. Then you hear them talking about their Johnny like he is a saint and could do no wrong. They never once try and correct the misbehavior or they use the excuse they paid X amount and their kids deserve to do what ever they want to do. Well, those people are the ones who end up making it worse for the rest of us. Believe me I work at Disney too and see that attitude a lot.

I have found that many people are slightly uneasy at first if you bring a child but if they see that your child is respectful of the rules and that if they act up you actually react and solve the problem then they start showering you with priase.

Just remember if you get one of those people in the elevator the reason they say this might be becuase they delt with a Johnny. The best medicine is to actually prove them wrong and not stoop to thier level. Many times at Disney I have found dealing with someone upset about kids works best if I use the line.. oh yea I know what you mean I can't stand those kids that don't behave or the parents that let them. (LOL) All of a sudden their attitude changes and they become really nice to you. They even start talking to your child which is histaerical.

Katie

I expected rude comments on my first cruise with my toddlers because of these boards' date=' but only received positive words and attention from passengers and crew. We've been on three cruises together (my twins are 2-1/2), and the only thing anyone has ever said is "They're not even going to remember this" - as though having fun together doesn't count unless they can report it back to me when they're grown!

The funny thing is - I DID hear rude comments when I cruised with my husband in a wheelchair. "I should bring one of those so I get special treatment too" and the like. Clearly, there are rude people everywhere, but they have bigger problems than children or wheelchairs on board, so if you encounter one - and you probably won't - don't let them affect your vacation.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Comments from thoughtless people warrant the observation, "consider the source." In other words, don't give their comments more than 1 nano-second of consideration.

The one point that has not been mentioned, however, is that unlike others on a cruise ship, parents are accustomed to their kids' behavior and may not even notice when their kids may be annoying others. Similarly, we've seen parents who want to pretend their kids' boredom or impatience in certain circumstances is nonexistent so that the whining or acting up becomes a problem for others but the parents take no action. (I will spare you the details of the wailing child in Business Class on our 10 hour non-stop from Heathrow to Chicago and the parents who just slept through the cacophony while the rest of us suffered.)

That said, the fact that most who posted in this thread are clearly careful not to impose on their shipmates' enjoyment nof a cruise suggests that what I said in the preceding paragraph does not apply to them

People who don't like kids on ships should sail P&O, they have adult only ships.

That flight sounds awful! We had much the same experience, but the other way. Chicago to Manchester. Poor child was screaming and the parents were just ignoring it! Disgusting!

It has been my experience that most parents are extremely aware of their surroundings and will remove an unruly child at the first hint of trouble. Airplanes are problematic because it is not possible to remove a screaming child. Their little ears are so sensitive.

Anyway, I am one of these parents. Many years ago, my husband and I decided to fly to Hilton Head business class. There was some special deal and we could fly for a little more in business class with our son (six months old) as a lap baby. I was advised by physician to give my son a bottle of juice or water during take off, which would help with the pressure on his ears.

I boarded and we had the bulkhead seats. There were only five other passengers in business class. The couple to our right looked at us with disdain as soon as we boarded. I am sure they were bothered by having a baby in business class. The man behind us was really nice and talked with us. He was traveling on business and was very nice. My sister and her boyfriend were in the seats across from the business man.

Well, the flight attendant gave me some apple juice and I filled up a bottle. During take off my baby sucked down all eight ounces. He was all smiles and we sat him on the floor of the bulkhead- once the seatbelt signs were turned off. My husband I commented how happily he was playing on the floor- not a peep out of him. This was great....

Except that we noticed he had pooped so much (from the juice) that it was leaking out of his diaper onto the carpet- GROSS. Well, it was a real sight, our trying to clean him up and the carpet up and the smell was really bad! The man behind us (obviously a parent) was laughing. I was laughing at this scene. My husband didn't know what to do with this messy baby.

Needless to say the couple to our left were really unhappy! I still laugh at their faces. Kids are unpredictable and even the best parents can't control everything!

As the mother of two special needs kids, I have been the target of several rude comments....not on a cruise ship. We are taking our children on their first cruise. I plan to "pack" some of the great lines I read on this post.

I would certainly hope that any passenger who doesn't like what he sees/hears would keep it to himself (or herself)

Families with young children have the right to enjoy themselves at places other than Disney.

These people who do not like children to spoil their cruise - what do they do at the ports of call about the local infants? Do they call ahead and request they are all removed by the 'child catcher'?! ;)

When asked if my kids would prefer a visit to Disney World or another Cruise, they both answered immediately "Cruise!"

I removed them from school, after checking with the Head teacher what was the better time to do this. Even she commented that my kids will remember the cruise before they will remember doing Math/Language. We are doing the same again this year. My son, aged 12, will have gone up to Secondary School and once again I have called ahead to make sure it will not be during any tests etc. We are concerned about our choice, but there is not a better time because of the route and cruise line we prefer.

We've not received nasty comments, but I did notice that very rarely did anyone join our table at meals (it was freestyle) and presumed that was because of the kids - maybe I was wrong. It didn't bother us though, as my kids are rather shy.

There was a poll on the Celebrity Cruise board and 15% said they didn't want children on their cruise at all. Most did accept them if well-behaved.

I only once or twice had a parent not take care of a child on a flight...in 13 years of working as a flight attendant. Where were the F/A's on that flight with the screaming child?? I would have woken the parents. I actually did wake a mom once, the dad started scolding me for waking her (the baby had crawled into First by herself) and then another passenger jumped up and yelled at him for not watching the baby!

By the way, no, you don't have to give a child anything to drink on take-off and landing for their ears. This is a common myth but people continue to believe it. Sometime during ascent and at the top of descent is when you need to have them simply awake. Sure, let them drink something if they are willing/able. Do not remove a child from a carseat to nurse, etc.

I also don't recommend upgrades with babies. The customers up there tend to be fussier. Don't be next to some businessman who has to finish a project and/or has a big presentation on arrival. Definitely it's more "kid-friendly" in economy and it's always safer if the child has his or her own seat and you bring a carseat.

I just re-edited "Flying with children" so some of you might find it useful;

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

For all those worried about kids on Celebrity. You would literally have to be the meanest- grumpiest person for it to bother you. Seriously, many people commented on my last Constellation cruise that there were hardly any kids on board- there were 300.

You really don't notice the number of kids because they are entertained in youth programs.

It has been my experience that passengers on Celebrity like a reserved, pampered cruise experience. One way you get to relax and enjoy the cruise is by having some free time on board. The Fun Factory provides this and I have never had a problem with kids misbehaving anywhere on board.

There was a poll on the Celebrity Cruise board and 15% said they didn't want children on their cruise at all. Most did accept them if well-behaved.

So 85% of the population likes well- behaved kids and 15% don't like kids at all. Sounds about right. I would question anyone who said that they like badly behaved kids or adults for that matter.

So the vast majority of people don't have a problem with kids on ships. How refreshing! Cruising is a generational type adventure. Many grandparents invite their adult children to travel and the only way this is doable is to bring the grandkids. So grandparents aren't going to say "no kids" allowed because that would mean fewer family vacations.

Anyway, I don't like Royal Caribbean because the kids are all over the ship- they take over the pool and hot tub, etc. So even I, a parent, don't enjoy kids everywhere! I like children to be in the youth programs!

Truly, the last cruise I was on, I would never have known there were babies on board. But I saw them with my own eyes at disembarkation. Lots of them! Little ones! Perhaps they were born during the cruise, or picked up at the last port.:rolleyes:

Really, there will be grumps no matter where you go, but don't worry about them. One may be my husband, who does a terrific "grumpy old man" imitation and says things under his breath like "keep those brat kids quiet!". Fortunately, he is totally not serious about it! Unfortunately, the imitation is so good, if he were overheard, he could easily be misunderstood. (I have to kick him sometimes)

We have one grandchild, age 4, who is looking forward to taking a cruise, and one on the way, who will probably be an infant when his big sis gets her wish.

We're planning on getting the whole family together on one, which would then be 10 adults and the 2 kids. Norwegian Freestyle might make the most sense, because some could eat, some could babysit, no set times, etc., but we also want to make the most of having the whole family sit down together for meals. Of course, much depends on the deals we can get...

. . .Anyway, I don't like Royal Caribbean because the kids are all over the ship- they take over the pool and hot tub, etc. So even I, a parent, don't enjoy kids everywhere! I like children to be in the youth programs!

So much depends upon the itinerary. It seems that 7 day and shorter warm weather itineraries seem to attract a larger than normal number of obnoxious pax! I've found that the shorter carribean itineraries have more roudy adults and more obnoxious and unsupervised kids. Our AK, Canadian Maritime, HI, Baltic and Med cruises we had few loud drunks and few obnoxious kids (even though on one AK cruise the ship set a ship's record for the most <21YO cruisers!)

I really like NCL. Celebrity is my favorite but I have had great times on NCL with my extended family. The food was good and the ships have a good vibe. I would recommend it with a baby for the reasons you mentioned.

The funny thing is - I DID hear rude comments when I cruised with my husband in a wheelchair. "I should bring one of those so I get special treatment too" and the like.

Yikes! I can't believe someone would say something like that - were they raised by wolves?

I heard my FIRST rude comment in all of our kid cruises! Last week on FOS there was a woman sitting behind us. Gabriella (in the stroller) had to stay upstairs on the tender boat with her father and Morgan and I walked downstairs cause there were no seats up with Gab.

So as soon as we sat down Morgan said "Oh poor Gab" and this woman said "Who's Gab" And I said "Oh my 3 year old is upstairs because she is in a stroller"

And the woman says "BY HERSELF???"

I said "Um, no my husband is there with her. "

She said "Oh then your husband SHOULD be able to take care of her. I always feel bad for these poor babies being brought on these cruises. They can't possibly enjoy themselves. They aren't at home. They certainly don't want to be here!" :rolleyes:

I said "This is her THIRD cruise and her 4th (pointing to my oldest) and they love doing them"

And she says "Well I just couldn't imagine"

GRRRRRR :mad:

I heard my FIRST rude comment in all of our kid cruises! Last week on FOS there was a woman sitting behind us. Gabriella (in the stroller) had to stay upstairs on the tender boat with her father and Morgan and I walked downstairs cause there were no seats up with Gab.

So as soon as we sat down Morgan said "Oh poor Gab" and this woman said "Who's Gab" And I said "Oh my 3 year old is upstairs because she is in a stroller"

And the woman says "BY HERSELF???"

I said "Um, no my husband is there with her. "

She said "Oh then your husband SHOULD be able to take care of her. I always feel bad for these poor babies being brought on these cruises. They can't possibly enjoy themselves. They aren't at home. They certainly don't want to be here!" :rolleyes:

I said "This is her THIRD cruise and her 4th (pointing to my oldest) and they love doing them"

And she says "Well I just couldn't imagine"

GRRRRRR :mad:

Sounds like this old fart needs to get with the times...it's not like the days when she was a child. Cruises aren't just for old people!

Archived