Another Natural History tour vs. Tundra Tour question

picruiser

We're doing the Princess SB cruisetour in June. When I called Princess about replacing the NHT with the Tundra tour, I was told that they don't sell the Tundra tour anymore....Anyway, it looks like they do. But, when I got my paperwork, it isn't offered on the excursion sheet. Is it because we'll be getting to the Denali Princess lodge after noon and won't have time? Is it offered to only select cruisetour dates?

We just got the Natural History Tour changed to the Tundra Tour for $30 more pp. Had to go through our travel agent though, neither Princess or the Denali Lodge could arange. We are there in early Jun, taking Island Princess southbound on 18 Jun.

We're doing the Princess SB cruisetour in June. When I called Princess about replacing the NHT with the Tundra tour, I was told that they don't sell the Tundra tour anymore....Anyway, it looks like they do. But, when I got my paperwork, it isn't offered on the excursion sheet. Is it because we'll be getting to the Denali Princess lodge after noon and won't have time? Is it offered to only select cruisetour dates?

There is an afternoon TWT that leaves every few minutes starting at 1:30 so it is available to you.

How long is the Tundra tour? We have to leave the Lodge by noon and do not want to do the Natural History Tour either but don't know how much time we have.

The TWT (Tundra tour) runs 6-8 hours depending on how much wildlife is seen (and the first one leaves at 05:30), so you don't have nearly enough time. :(

As an alternative, Princess has been refunding the Natural History tours. And some people are doing the SHUTTLE bus to at least Toklat, same mile as the Tundra Wilderness tour, for less than the NHT refund. You do have to bring all your own food and drink, but you would be wise to do that on the tour buses too.

Many times with only one night at Denali Park, there isn't a lot you can do to change from the NHT. People would be best to do their homework prior to purchasing cruisetours and getting the right tour to begin with. It is more difficult to change in the fixed timeframes and without your own transportation.

I was able to get our NHT canceled and get a refund on it, but Princess for sure didn't want to do it. Surprisingly - or not surprisingly - they agreed to do it only after I said that I'd read on the messageboards here that many people had canceled it and got a refund.

I guess I didn't do my homework correctly either, even though I read through everything I could find. I never saw anything that made it apparent to me that any kind of tour in Denali was included in the cruisetour price. As a matter of fact, it wasn't until I turned up here that I found it out at all. Dumb luck but good luck for me that I found the messageboards here! :)

I don't mean to sound harsh and my comment is general for future visitors to consider. My "blame" for the problems I see OVER AND OVER with cruisetours, are fully due to the too vague itinerary descriptions and TA's most always not knowing important differences either.

In my Alaska travels, I always run into cruisetour visitors. Usually they are "hanging" around waiting and I mean, I've seen it for over an hour- for bus/train loading. I always stop and usually stay at the Roadhouse, I have sat with cruisetour people just about every trip, just back from Denali Park and scratching their heads, claiming they didn't think it was that great- ALWAYS they were on the NHT and ALWAYS they didn't know of any other options into the park. I find this very sad, for what they missed.

No matter how you get to Alaska- Denali Park, if you go there, is usually the highlight of your trip. Significant for potential wildlife and scenery. A couple years ago, in a cruise brochure there was a big photo near Wonder Lake- which the cruise tour didn't even anywhere near it. All the beautiful photos, give a false idea, in my opinion.

So, yes, I am critical of cruisetours, and I will speculate, that those of you who booked one, probably have since found out some points you were unaware of when you purchased??? I just wish, descriptions were more infomative, and realistic. I can only imagine, people excited about their trips, then coming to this board and reading up on their cruisetours and then not being happy with what they purchased and usually difficult to change.

My only point is, it would be beneficial to know this all in advance, and the only way to do so, is to do your homework and make choices that are right for you to begin with.

You're right Budget Queen. If not for you, I wouldn't know that there is a Denali State Park and a Denali National Park. Most, if not all, of the hiking tours through the cruise lines talk of hiking in the great "Denali State Park"....for some of us "down here" in the lower 48, I didn't know there were 2 parks. Thanks for your help on other matters as well. I guess we'll do the Natural History tour with our group, as we'll be doing so many other things while we're there. :D

I don't mean to sound harsh and my comment is general for future visitors to consider. My "blame" for the problems I see OVER AND OVER with cruisetours, are fully due to the too vague itinerary descriptions and TA's most always not knowing important differences either.

In my Alaska travels, I always run into cruisetour visitors. Usually they are "hanging" around waiting and I mean, I've seen it for over an hour- for bus/train loading. I always stop and usually stay at the Roadhouse, I have sat with cruisetour people just about every trip, just back from Denali Park and scratching their heads, claiming they didn't think it was that great- ALWAYS they were on the NHT and ALWAYS they didn't know of any other options into the park. I find this very sad, for what they missed.

No matter how you get to Alaska- Denali Park, if you go there, is usually the highlight of your trip. Significant for potential wildlife and scenery. A couple years ago, in a cruise brochure there was a big photo near Wonder Lake- which the cruise tour didn't even anywhere near it. All the beautiful photos, give a false idea, in my opinion.

So, yes, I am critical of cruisetours, and I will speculate, that those of you who booked one, probably have since found out some points you were unaware of when you purchased??? I just wish, descriptions were more infomative, and realistic. I can only imagine, people excited about their trips, then coming to this board and reading up on their cruisetours and then not being happy with what they purchased and usually difficult to change.

My only point is, it would be beneficial to know this all in advance, and the only way to do so, is to do your homework and make choices that are right for you to begin with.

Oh so true and great advice. I agree on the need for brochures to be more forthcoming and honest in what they offer the casual visitor to Alaska. I especially love the pictures of the tour operator cars on the Alaska Railroad that conveniently airbrush out the cars of their competition. Furthermore, all the pictures in the brochures love to show great weather which just isn't so.

There are lots of great resources available to read and inspect including this website. So glad so many take advantage of it before coming to Alaska.

Archived