What's with the fellow workers who don't get your love for cruising?

I agree , to each their own.

A lot of the people I work with love skiing. I hate snow and ice and cold , so there isn't enough booze in the bar in the lodge to get my butt on a cold mountain, standing in line forever to get on a lift.

God bless them, they go to their mountain, I go to my ship :)

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

You are singing my song!

why do you feel you have to say anything to them anyway?

Exactly!

I find it annoying when people go on and on about anything. Perhaps some folks talk too much about their upcoming cruise. Especially to people who couldn't care less.

Folks at work know I'm going on a cruise because I'm not on the schedule next week and they asked why. Other than that, I really don't talk about it. Well, except to you guys on this board! :D

:) Are you kidding my friends and coworkers live thru me! it's always the same ----your going again? They want to know where and when and are interested really! and who cares its my party and I'm going cruisin!!!! Karon 16 and counting:)

The comments; the wise-cracks; the lack of interest; the looks from my fellow workers is so disparaging!

How can you cruise so much? What is there to do? You're stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean-how boring? The comments go on and on!

What do you say? I've yet to find anyone, on my job, who loves it as much as I do......

That's why, I guess, I have you guys! ;)

No comments from my fellow workers, they all cruise :D In fact Im sure that on your cruises there will be some crazy Correctional Officer on stage. :D

Fred

No comments from my fellow workers, they all cruise :D In fact Im sure that on your cruises there will be some crazy Correctional Officer on stage. :D

Fred

Hi Fred, I'm a Correctional Officer also. Where do you hail from?

The comments I most often get are "Must be nice to go on such an EXPENSIVE vacation!" and "Going by YOURSELF!?"

Most people don't know that cruising is actually so much more economical and is not expensive at all! And, I live alone, my friends aren't into cruising, so I am not gonna spend my vacation time staring at the four walls! They have no idea the fun Im gonna have!:D

The people I work with are always saying, where are you going next time. Even my customers ask me, when are ya going on another cruise? What are ya gonna do on your next cruise. I had one ask me that the other day, and I told her I was leaving next month with Carnival. She asked wasn't I worried about something happening to me, that every time she turns around there's a news story about someone falling off or something. I told her know, you just can't fall off, you have to pretty much be trying or climbing to fall over. I also told her that if she would notice, that most stories involved alcohol in some way or another, so no I'm not worried. As a matter of fact, I had a couple come into where I work tonight, and they said, guess what we're doing next month? I said what? Her reply, we're going on a cruise! I was so excited for them, they are going on the Celebration next month for a family get-together. They're leaving on June 21st,(my birthday), we're leaving on the 17th. It made for a fun conversation at work, and gave me happy thoughts for the rest of the night.:)

I agree with the snow thing, after having lived most of my life in Pennsylvania, I simply cannot understand why some of my co-workers who live in Florida would pay good money to visit somewhere where it is cold and has snow.

Likewise, I can't bring myself to ever cruise to Alaska to be on a cruise ship wearing a coat, gloves and hat while standing in the rain. I've worked in Alaska and always wondered about those getting off a perfectly good cruise ship in the pouring rain.

The people I work with are always saying, where are you going next time. Even my customers ask me, when are ya going on another cruise? What are ya gonna do on your next cruise. I had one ask me that the other day, and I told her I was leaving next month with Carnival. She asked wasn't I worried about something happening to me, that every time she turns around there's a news story about someone falling off or something. I told her know, you just can't fall off, you have to pretty much be trying or climbing to fall over. I also told her that if she would notice, that most stories involved alcohol in some way or another, so no I'm not worried. As a matter of fact, I had a couple come into where I work tonight, and they said, guess what we're doing next month? I said what? Her reply, we're going on a cruise! I was so excited for them, they are going on the Celebration next month for a family get-together. They're leaving on June 21st,(my birthday), we're leaving on the 17th. It made for a fun conversation at work, and gave me happy thoughts for the rest of the night.:)

Hi Bubbles I get that a lot...People talking about falling off...Or the ones who say they will never go on a cruise because they can't swim....They just don't get it...:eek:

First of all, cruising isn't for everyone (and thank goodness for that!)

And as for the people who question your love of it but have never cruised..well, of course they wouldn't 'get' it. Until you've experienced a cruise for yourself there is NO way you could understand how awesome it is. It's like the worst drug you could try...the kind that have you hooked instantly.

Cruising is a PASSION.

People that have never tried it are missing a hell of a lot, I think...but then again, I'm a cruise addict. :D

People, people, people!!! SHHHHHHH! Don't tell anyone else about our secret! Let them think that cruising stinks! Do you want everyone to find out it's cheaper than land based vacations and cause the prices to go up?! Wink.gif We just smile and nod when we hear people question cruising and make false statements about it. No.gif When we're on our next cruise, we think about them and chuckle as we enjoy the good life.

nanaparty.gif

RJD :) How about you?

Fred

granted i only know you from these boards, but you seem too nice for that job.:p i shld elaborate on this so it doesn't get taken the wrong way...

...meaning, don't you have be sort of a meanie and/or stickler to deal w/ that?

granted i only know you from these boards, but you seem too nice for that job.:p i shld elaborate on this so it doesn't get taken the wrong way...

...meaning, don't you have be sort of a meanie and/or stickler to deal w/ that?

Im sure that retcwby can agree with me that Meanies don't do well in this type of job. Its all about communication that will keep you alive.

Pelican Bay

Cool, ran into a few Transportation guys from Northern Cal on my Pride cruise last year. There is always afew on board on every cruise.

Hows the weather up there?

Fred

I think there are a number of different reasons people may put down cruises so much. First, people have different travel styles. I know many people who prefer to go to a single location for a number of days and immerse themselves in the culture, try out different restaurants, etc. I can see that also. I love cruising, but there's nothing like spending a few days exploring one place.

Next, there are some people who (gasp! :eek: ) don't really like to travel in the first place. I have a friend who has no desire to travel long distances. A short weekend jaunt to Florida sets her up nicely. Along the same lines, I have one friend who doesn't worry about being bored on the ship, but is extremely uncomfortable about being surrounded by that much water.

One of the last groups I think is out there (and probably the largest) are what I call the haters. They may be jealous that they can't convince their SO to cruise or don't have the vacation time/resources to travel. And to paraphrase one of my favorite comedians, "If you have 14 haters right now, you need to figure out how to get to 16 by the end of the summer." :D

Such great insight! I knew if I went to you guys....I would get some really good input and feedback!

I'm going to consider the source, in the future. I think it's all about them thinking that cruising is so, so expensive and how can I do it and not them??

I think you're right....Shhhhhhhhhhhhh! Don't let them in on all the great deals that are out there........I don't think I'd want to cruise with some of them, anyway!

Although, there are a few that if you got them on a cruise ship and they could discover this amazing way to vacation; they'd be a hoot to be with!!!!!!

Never mind! I'll keep it to myself, my DH, family and YOU!!!!!!!

Thanks again, for sharing!

Roz

My boss likes to cruise. But many of my coworkers usually fly to Mexico to be with family. Also I am lucky that I live in a true two income house.

So I do get some jelousy. But then again I drive a 11 year old truck. While some of the guys have new SUVs. Sometimes I hear from people in other departments "what you are going again ?". Also it casues a little strain because I plan in advance and two years in a row someone else has had a wedding in Mexico to go to. But I always get to go because I get vacations approved in advance :D. The other guy gets to go to the wedding, just the ones left behind end up running around.

The whole ironic thing about this is that I work on a ship, The Queen Mary. And we get to see the Carnival Pride and Paradise leave from through floor to ceiling windows. :) I am always telling the guys about the great last minute deals they could have on some sailings.

I am also famous/infamous for having gone on Queen Mary 2. And that sometimes gets the customers jealous. So I tell them I had a small room on the bottom of the ship;). I do not brag, the other waiters are the ones telling the customers. Most of the time I have fun...

Who cares what they think?

Same thing goes for people who challenge your choice of cruise line. Who cares? I like what I like; they like what they like. I can't, for the life of me, figure out why people go camping. But to each his own.

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO, DITTO, DOUBLE DITTO. WHO CARES? Now if they were cruising and I was staying home, THAT would be bad.:D

Dan

Im sure that retcwby can agree with me that Meanies don't do well in this type of job. Its all about communication that will keep you alive.

Cool, ran into a few Transportation guys from Northern Cal on my Pride cruise last year. There is always afew on board on every cruise.

That's right, it's all about fair rule enforcement and respect,

you reap what you sow.

Hows the weather up there?

When were you on the Pride?? I was on it last Oct. It's wet and rainy here can't wait to get to the Caribean....leaving on the Conquest Sunday!!:)

When were you on the Pride?? I was on it last Oct. It's wet and rainy here can't wait to get to the Caribean....leaving on the Conquest Sunday!!:)

I was on the Pride Oct 23, 2005 and Sept. 10, 2006. Wow!!! have a great time on the Conquest this Sunday. We still have 338 more days till our Freedom cruise :D

Fred

Co-workers famous saying "Why would anyone want to live on a ship for a week with nothing but water around you?" My saying back is to get away from all this flat land.

I live 5 minutes from the ocean, went to college on the shores of Lake Michigan and can't wait to get back on a cruise ship! Can't imagine being land-locked. It's so much better when you're completely surrounded by the water!

Archived