What's with the fellow workers who don't get your love for cruising?

Surrounded by water....especially the Atlantic or Pacific....it's heaven!

Not that I want to go under the sea.....that scares me to death.....but on top of it, with the horizon in the distance; the smell; the sound; the beautiful dolphins/whales/sea birds......I love, love it!!!!! Onboard a luxury liner......to me....there is nothing better....

Oh! Of course! The smell of my granddaughters hair....well, that beats everything in life!!!!! :p

When I first met the man who is now my husband, he thought I was a freak of nature with as much giddy talking I did about cruising. It had been about a year since I had been on my first one and I still couldn't shut up about it. He didn't get what the big deal was, but then again he had never gone on a cruise before. So in 2004 for Christmas, he got me a cruise! And he killed 2 birds with one stone...though the cruise was my Christmas gift, it was due to sail the week of Valentine's day. <3

Long story short, he was hooked from the second he got on board. He got off of the ship at the end of the week and called his entire family and raved about it so much that the battery went dead in his phone. Who is the freak of nature now ;) He now spends a lot of time trying to convince his family that they need to do a family cruise. I'm glad I got him hooked. We've spent the last year or so taking land vacations but we're ready to cruise cruise cruise again!

As for my coworkers....they'd rather spend their time at an all inclusive somewhere. No problem "mon"....more room on the ship for me :D

The comments; the wise-cracks; the lack of interest; the looks from my fellow workers is so disparaging!

How can you cruise so much? What is there to do? You're stuck on a ship in the middle of the ocean-how boring? The comments go on and on!

What do you say? I've yet to find anyone, on my job, who loves it as much as I do......

That's why, I guess, I have you guys! ;)

Not everyone likes to cruise, or don't even want to give it a try. To each their own....

Generally if someone beats a subject to death (talks about it and no one cares) they get the comments, wise cracks, and lack of interest.

"I" learned this the hard way.....now I leave it alone unless someone asks...;)

The folks I work with always kinda shake their heads and look at me like they feel sorry for me... Every time they see my countdown on my desktop. I just smile and nod, since I feel the same way about them. I tell them "you just don't get it". And until they try it, they won't.:cool:

Ok...I admit it. Before my first cruise I did not think I would like a cruise.

I read the book Skipping Christmas when it came out and on impulse talked my DH into surprising our 4 boys with a summer cruise for Christmas. OH my...you should have heard the screaming. My house was literally shaking from all the jumping!

I found CC soon after we booked--months before our cruise--and fell in love with cruising, long before stepping foot on the ship. My boys fell in love with it and now I can't imagine not cruising.

My two older boys are getting older --21 and 24--and serious about their girlfriends. I told my Dh I was sad that this might be our last "family" cruise. (I know.....we will go without them, but I love cruising with my boys!!)

My DH (God love him!!) smirked and said "Are you kidding? We will book them on an inside with their spouses and they will love it!"

After thinking about it and their love of cruising, I know he is right!!

So...when people look at me with confused looks when I tell them about my "next" cruise, I realized they are like a bunny in the woods. They don't know any better!:D[/quo

Melinda,

I am Mother of 4 Girls! And my first cruise was with my 2 oldest daughters-fun, fun, fun! My 3rd one doesn't want to go-she's afraid of getting sick, but I'll talk her into it one of these days, and my 16yo wants to go as a graduation present in '09!:D

As for the fools at work, let 'em stay home! More room on the ship for me! ;)

going camping in 2 weeks!

cruising 2 weeks after that!

can't wait for either!

I love both cruising and camping too! I think it's because there is no schedule until I wake up and decide what I want to do.

We have taken several "other" vacations, which were fun, but we ended up driving a lot. Whenever we take a land vacation, they are more about seeing the sights (national parks, historical sights, etc.) than relaxing. We usually get home feeling like we need a few more days off to relax after the vacation is over.

I am in agreement with other posters--who cares what other people think. They do their vacation and I'll do mine. We did all-inclusives and Disneyworld every year up until three years ago when we cruised the Valor. We have been hooked ever since!!!!!!:) :) :)

I think they are all jealous because they don't have the funds or are chicken to try something new so they try to act like cruising is boring, or dumb, or whatever....I just try not to mention it too much.

I thought this one was cute:p

I had to cancel our cruise (Legend week of April 14th) I have a back injury.

So anyway...I was at the health club in the pool doing some exercises that my doctor suggested. I happened to start talking to another women that was there for therapy swim also. I mentioned to her that at that time I was suppost to be on the deck of the ship sunning and having a great time. I told her of my injury and trip cancel.

Ready....she says I don't go on curises, aren't you afraid you will eat to much:eek:

BTW I am average size so she was not tring to tell me something.

Oh! Yes!......"Aren't you afraid you'll eat too much?" This is one of the replies to my various cruises!

This morning a friend (the accountant type) wanted me to give him the ratio of money spent on cruises vs. land based vacations. I gave it to him and he couldn't believe how reasonable cruising is and that you really get a "bang" for your buck, (as he put it)!

I certainly don't need to be a spokesperson for the cruiselines and there are truly some people, in my office, I wouldn't want to cruise with.....so, I'm going to keep my cruise-life to myself, in the future.....there's enough cranky people on our cruises!!!!! :cool:

They are just jealous because they think they are smarter to drive to a beach for 12 hours, stay at Ed's Beds, eat at McDonalds at least two times a day and they are having a "cheaper" , better vacation.

That's SO true!

Personally, I don't bother telling anyone anymore. I still have a couple friends who think camping in the pouring rain or spending three days and twice as much money in Vegas is 'fun'.

If I'm going on vacation, I'm going on a cruise! :D

I did my first cruise in 1966 when we sailed from the UK to Australia. I loved it!:D

It has taken me 32 years to convince my husband to board a ship. He thought he would be bored silly. We had an 18 day cruise holiday from Sydney to Thailand in 2004 (which he planned to celebrate my 50th) and he did not want to get off! :(We then sailed to San Francisco last year and spent 4 weeks aboard and we are off to Vancouver in Sept this year to sail up though Alaska and around to Thailand which will be about 6 weeks on board. These trips were his idea!

The man is nuts about cruising and sorry he waited so long to try it. We are making up for lost time tho! Our retirement cruise will be a world cruise in about five years time. We will have a few short ones in between, I hope! ;)

BTW, we have the same negative comments re cruising from our workmates and friends but hey, each to his own! We love it!:p

Shining gem: What amazing trips you've taken.....now, that's the way to cruise...

I think I could stay on a ship for a very long time, just cruising around.....unfortunately, there is reality; work and family obligations that would negate that! :o

I still have a couple friends who think camping in the pouring rain or spending three days and twice as much money in Vegas is 'fun'.

OK camping....no. Vegas? Oh yeah! We've done 4 land vacations during the time since our last cruise and prior to our upcoming cruise, 2 of which were to Vegas....and fun it was!! My dream vacation would be for Las Vegas to turn into a floating city. I love that place. But I love cruising equally :D Was in Vegas last month and going on a cruise next month. Does life get better???

I live 5 minutes from the ocean, went to college on the shores of Lake Michigan and can't wait to get back on a cruise ship! Can't imagine being land-locked. It's so much better when you're completely surrounded by the water!

Some people just do not understand. The water has called me all my life. We camped in Ohio and Tennessee growing up so I was always around water until we moved to Colorado. Even when we were in Germany we would go to the Rhine River alot. Thank goodness my awesome DH understands the calling even if co-workers don't. That is all that matters isn't it.

Lessons learned in life....camping never again.....Disney - over it....snow and mountains you couldn't pay me enough money....cruising is our thing.

My dh found out today that his mother's cancer is back. In earnest, he told me if it were him, he would want to schedule a cruise to someplace he hadn't been before...and he MEANT it. I pretty much feel the same.

Our family vacations with our kids/grandkids have now become cruises instead of land trips. We still take plenty of cruises without the kids but enjoy it when they go as well.

As for work, I don't have any "set" amount of vacation days. We're heading out on our 4th cruise this year and have 3 weeks in Europe planned for later in the year. I'll have to tote a laptop and do some work late at night (while it's still 2pm in the States) but is it SO worth it to me. I know they all think I'm over the top with cruising but let them or a friend of theirs want to go on a cruise and who do they come to.....me. We're less than an hour to the Gulf and most of them have boat to go out "front" on weekends while I'm doing yardwork and laundry so I don't feel guilty! :)

I love both cruising and camping too! I think it's because there is no schedule until I wake up and decide what I want to do.

We have taken several "other" vacations, which were fun, but we ended up driving a lot. Whenever we take a land vacation, they are more about seeing the sights (national parks, historical sights, etc.) than relaxing. We usually get home feeling like we need a few more days off to relax after the vacation is over.

above reply to iluvgoldens. (forgot to quote)

btw..we have long since upgraded to a pop-up camper..and no longer sleep on the ground. (after all we are not savages!..lol)

there is something almost mystical about gathering around the campfire after a day of fun and relaxation in nature...fishing...floating down the river...playing camping games....adult beverages judiciously spaced throughout...the communal dinner...hard to xplain

kinda like cruising.

Archived