Question For Someone New To RCI

We have only done 3 cruises and they were all with a group on Carnival. This time my husband and I want to try something new so we are hoping to book something in April 08 on the Mariner. We have a couple of questions. Could someone please tell us what a hump balcony is. And also do you seem to find better "bargains" booking yourself through RCI or going with a travel agent.

We have only done 3 cruises and they were all with a group on Carnival. This time my husband and I want to try something new so we are hoping to book something in April 08 on the Mariner. We have a couple of questions. Could someone please tell us what a hump balcony is. And also do you seem to find better "bargains" booking yourself through RCI or going with a travel agent.

The hump is the location of cabins that sit on the middle of the ship. They stick out further than the other cabins so your view is better and your balcony may be larger. To answer the bargain question, I personally do all my booking on my own through the rcl web site. That way if the price drops or anything else I can just call and get credit. No TA middleman!!!!:D

Thank you Andsail for your quick response. I get the impression that these balconies are quite poplar so I'm assuming more expensive. Since we are not planning to sail until April 08 I've got some time before we book.

We are VERY excited about trying RCI !!

Thank you Andsail for your quick response. I get the impression that these balconies are quite poplar so I'm assuming more expensive. Since we are not planning to sail until April 08 I've got some time before we book.

I wouldn't wait too long, they are also very popular and go fast!:D

If you want a big balcony, go for an aft cabin! (uh oh, gave away the secret!) If it is available for your sailing, take it and no, it is not more expensive. The corner afts are the best. We have been on Mariner twice, 1st time hump and 2nd time aft and aft is better. We will be on Mariner in Nov. and I got a corner aft and can't wait because the balcony is huge!!!Can you tell I'm a balcony person?? Bonnie Voyager has pics of the aft balconies. Do a search and you will see.

You will love Mariner!! Have fun!:D

Many of the balconies on the hump are in the lower balcony category E1 and are cheaper. Don't rule them out for the cost. RCCL doesn't allow TA's to discount their fares so you will see the same prices unless the TA is is holding group space.

Welcome to RCCL , I previously sailed CCL 3 times also and for my money I will sail RCCL since to me they were so much better.

GTO-Girl----The hump balcony cabins are the same price as any other cabin in that category.

As far as booking agent is concerned, the price for the cruise will be the same no matter if you use a TA or book with the cruiseline. Some TAs do give extra perks like insurance, OBC, wine, fruit baskets, etc, but again the price of the cruise is the same since RCCL does not permit discounting of their prices. This no-discount policy is not true of all cruiselines.

as others have said- an e2 balcony is same price no matter where it is on the ship- same for e1, d3 etc.............. so if you find a hump or an aft it would be good to book it then- watch the prices , if there is a price drop for your cabin cat. just call up rci and they will honor it for you unless it is on a happy hour special which is for new bookings only- you will love the mariner and rci!

Archived