Pros/Cons Of Promenade Cabins?

We have booked a Promenade cabin on the Voyager for our upcoming Med. cruise. Our last two (and only two) cruises, we've had balconies, which we have enjoyed immensley. The Med cruise is port intensive (and the balcony is more than $400/pax more) so we are skipping it.. will we be disappointed with the promenade cabin? Can you tell me what the pros and cons are? I'm not worried about size (167 sq. ft.) cause our first balcony was the same size! Thanks!

We were going to book a promanade room for our teens for our upcoming cruise. The first thing my daughter said is "Please don't...I don't want to have to worry about shutting the drapes everytime I get changed or come out of the shower." So we booked a regular inside cabin for them. We personally never had one but thought I would share her view.

Truly--it's an "inside" room--with a view inside! If you are claustophobic in a dark inside, it's probably better, but it's still quite small. If you aren't really concerned with your cabin (sleeping, changing, etc...) then it's a good bargain.

Had a promenade cabin for my Kids on the Navigator.

Pros,

Very Dark for good nights sleep.

Bay Window so you can people watch down on the promenade and watch the parades without having to go down on the promenade.

Cons,

REMEMBER to keep those curtains closed when you are changing or doing any Adult activities:p.

Since you had a balcony before well you know what you will miss.

You could always turn your TV on to the bow camera channel so you can tell when the ship is docking.

We have sailed on the Adventure and liked having the promenade cabin. The lights at the top of the promenade mimic those of the lighting conditions outside (light in the mornings, darker, but not dark in evenings). We liked having the window love seat to sit and watch as people stroll by. Remember there is a sheer besides the curtain and depending on which deck you are on, it is really hard to see inside the cabin when the side lights are on. You can see silhouettes only if they are close to the window, but not see 'skin'. Because of our first experience, we booked the PR cabin again on our upcoming cruise on the Liberty. You know what people say, 'To each his own'.

Steve

A few years ago, in 2001 on the Voyager, I had a balcony.....loved it. Last June, on Freedom's maiden (revenue) voyage, we had a promenade cabin. The difference is...do you want to watch other people, or be part of the action? We found that we never looked out the window and watched what was going on in the promenade, we went down and experienced it instead. In June, we will be on the Freedom again...and this time, we have a balcony cabin...can't wait to step out and watch the sun rise.

Jack

We have had a PR cabin twice (won't have a balcony 'til next year) and for a port intensive cruise it can't be beat!

My fave pro over the other cabins is that you get a love seat and a window seat, so no one has to sit on the bed if you are spending a bit of time in the room.

We really like watching the parades from the window without having to be squeezed into the crowds. I'm a little iffy in large groups of people (and small rooms without windows- hence the PR)- so it works out well.

We also really like the location- center of the ship and only a few floors up to the Windjammer, a few floors down to the Promenade.

Have a great time!

We have sailed the Voyager Class Ships 7 times so far and loved the Promenade Cabins. For 2 people, the cabin was quite comfortable and suitcases fit under the beds. Had a decent size closet for our clothes. We enjoyed people watching especially before dinner as I got a pretty good idea the mode of dress most people wore each evening. This helped with me deciding what would be appropriate to wear. We always booked a cabin on deck 7 or 8. Prefer deck 7 end cabins(nice and quiet). When booking a Promenade Cabin, make sure it is not over one of the bars as it will be noisey. Other passengers have shared this info with us on our cruises. It is better to have a cabin below and above you.Also make sure you donot get a connecting cabin. We did one cruise and the people next door would fool around with the handle to the door connecting the cabins when they came in late at night and it would wake us up. Always felt like they were trying to enter our cabin. They probably had too much too drink and were fooling around. You can also view the parades from the Bay Window in your cabin if you do not want to go down and stand in the crowd. We found no negatives with these cabins. We are sailing "Explorer" in Dec. and have chosen another Promenade on Deck 7. Can't wait! IKE Don't forget to close the drapes, the sheers are under them and then nobody can see in your cabin. IKE

Uh oh, better go recheck our cabin location!! Thanks for the tips! I'm glad we booked it and I don't think I'll miss the balcony (I'll save that for Alaska or Panamal Canal).

Added: Just went and checked.. we are over the Jewelry/Gift shop which is right next to Scoreboards, will we be ok?

Jfultz... like you we had been only in balcony cabins when we decided to try out a PR. We thought it was just fine for the two of us! We found the storage to be adequate and we had plenty of room to move around. That little seating area by the Promenade window adds to the overall feel of the space.

We now have a new motto -- the more PR cabins we book, the more cruises we can take! Like you, we're saving the balcony cabins for the more scenic routes.

We've done the PR cabins twice. While they were ok, I personally prefer a regular interior to the PR. As others have mentioned, I didn't spend much time looking down at the Praminade. The biggest problem for me was that the beds extend out into the middle of the room between the bathroom and the vanity. You have to literally slide around them to get from one place to the other. I travel with my brother so, not only are the beds separated - taking up even more room- , but we're both on completely different sleep schedules. It's hard for me to get up, showered, and ready to go while he's still sleeping. At least with the regular rooms, the beds are behind curtains and you don't have to squeeze around them.

Those are just my thoughts. I certainly wouldn't turn down a PR room if it was all that was available!!!

We had a promenade cabin on the Freedom. The good news was that it was a bit larger than our previous, inside room. The bad news was it was LOUD. We like it dark and quiet in our room.

LOUD?? Yikes :eek: I haven't heard that yet -- where was your cabin?

The best pro for us is the price:) but we haven't sailed yet.

My husband and I stayed in PR twice before he discovered balconies, and I never thougth the cabin was tight. It was really fun to watch the parades, just make sure you aren't too far down towards the end. I think that the PR cabins are a nice upgrade from the interior for a couple. That being said, we just got off of NOS in March and booked teenage boys across the hall in the PR cabins. It was so hard to walk around the ends of the beds to get anywhere. We had adjoining PR cabins and with the doors open, I think that there was only a 4 feet inbetween the ends of the beds from cabin to cabin. Keep in mind that I was only in the cabins with 4 VERY large teenage boys and I was usually trying to clean up, so that could influence my opinion on the size. I do agree that next time we will probably just book them an inside. No window, but a little more room to walk around dirty clothes!

You have to be very careful in selecting your cabin. We stayed in a Promenade cabin center of the ship on one of our cruises up on deck 7 across from the Pub and it was opened, I think until 3AM and it was noisey. If you do select a cabin on deck 6, make sure you know what is under you. If it a jewelry store, clothing store, they close by 11PM usually and they aren't nosiey anyway. Do not pick one over the bar or pubs. We now select cabins near the ends of the center of the ship near the elevators and they are just fine. We feel they are a nice change from your regular inside cabins. IKE

Uh oh, better go recheck our cabin location!! Thanks for the tips! I'm glad we booked it and I don't think I'll miss the balcony (I'll save that for Alaska or Panamal Canal).

Added: Just went and checked.. we are over the Jewelry/Gift shop which is right next to Scoreboards, will we be ok?

I think you should be fine where you are. What deck are you on?

We just got off the EOS with a PR stateroom on deck 8 above liquor shop. Besides the parades (which didn't go too late), we never heard anything. It was super quite. The window glass is quite thick. As other have said, just make sure your curtains are drawn when you want privacy. I also recommend getting wake up calls because the room can get dark and you don't want to sleep in too late!

We did a Med. cruise. Since it is so port intensive, you are barely in your room. I think you made a wise choice. The PR rooms are a great option and def. feel like a step up from a regular inside cabin. Enjoy!

We've had 2 PR cabins and 2 balcony cabins. The only time I will book a PR cabin is if the price for a balcony is too high. Fortunately, when I've booked the balconies, the price difference has been no more than $400 for the cabin.

I felt the PR cabins were too noisy. I am a morning person and could hear WAY too much outside the window. AND we weren't over a bar. I also HATED having to squeeze past the bed to get to the couches.

Interestingly, we got a Promenade cabin for $100 less than an inside cabin on Liberty this summer. The cabin is on Deck 6 and over the barber shop. Are they discounting Deck 6 due to concerns over noise?

We've tried everything from connecting inside cabins, ocean view and balcony (usually a balcony with the three kids across the hall in an inside cabin.) This time, it's only myself with the H.S. Graduate. We weren't going to cruise this summer, but the price to try Liberty was just so good I couldn't resist. I hope the barbers don't party late into the night...

The only time we've ever had a problem with noise on a cruise was a trip on Carnival's Pride, where we were "upgraded" up a deck, to a cabin under the Lido deck. The noise from the tables getting set up at 5:00 a.m. woke us every day.

We got 2 promenade rooms on our upcoming trip on the Liberty of the seas. The two adjoining rooms were the same price as one balcony room. This will give my wife and I some privacy from the kids and TWO bathrooms! This will be our first time in the Promenade rooms. I hope we like them. I was worried about noise so I booked deck 8. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Archived