Hotels in New York City

orangeskygirl

My husband and I are going on a cruise for October 2-9th. We need a hotel on October 1st. I have tentatively booked us at the Paramount in Times Square. It was just bought by the Hard Rock Hotel. Has anyone stayed at the Paramount in the last six months? I have heard mixed reviews, some really bad and a few good ones. Please let me know what we might be getting ourselves into. We booked a king bed room, supposedly that room configuration is supposed to be one step down from the suite rooms. The price we got was for $176.00 on solmelia.com. Seems all the prices are outrageous for rooms in the city. One good perk is that we will only be about a 5 minute cab ride from the hotel to the cruise port. Let me know if anyone has info about this place. Looks kinda trendy!

Thanks,

Kristen and Tom

Zenith Oct 2 to Bermuda

I haven't stayed personally but have heard good things about this hotel, with it being a bit 'boutique' and 'eclectic'.

I'd highly recommend a 4* hotel thru Priceline as it's a big money saver in the area. The Paramount is a 3* hotel and i think you can do better and cheaper.

With just about any midtown location you'll be within 5-10 minutes of the pier.

Hi,

We go to Manhattan all the time. There are some great hotels to stay at that are not huge franchises. We most recently stayed (7/04) at the Wellington Hotel. They have a nice web site http://www.wellingtonhotel.com/

We got a room with two full breakfasts each day (they have a cute diner - street level) for $139. It's on the corner of 7th and 55th. one block from Broadway. The subway is also right outside. This was a great location.

We also have other suggestions if you like. I also have a great NYC site to research restaurants, etc.... email me if you would like more info. or more hotel ideas.

Monika

We've stayed at the Edison Hotel on several occasions for pre-cruise nights.

Great location - just off Times Square, many Broadway theatres just a few blocks away. Small basic rooms, but clean. They cater a lot to European groups. Paid something just over $100 a night, as I recall. Last time there we went to an interactive show called "Tony's and Tina's Wedding, "which started at a church down the street, and ended up at the Edison. Next time we cruise out of NYC, we'll stay at the Edison again.

Kirsten,

The Paramount is a trendy hotel. Nice lobby bar and restaurant.

The rooms have a reputation for being small, but if you already know you're getting a large one, there shouldn't be a problem. The decor of the rooms is very Philippe Starck - very modern and slick.

The Wellington and the Edison are also good suggestions, in my opinion.

Jane

I stayed at the Paramount, but it was 2 years ago in the Spring. The description of "boutique and eclectic" are good descriptions. I found the rooms to be small, but comfortable - perfectly acceptable if you do not plan to spend much time in your room. As you might imagine, there are a number of very good restaurants in all price ranges within walking distance. It is a very easy trip by cab to the passenger ship terminal.

Archived