Whale Watching & Time of Day

MSEm

We will be booking a Whale Watching tour in Juneau. I can schedule a tour leaving between 3PM and 7 PM. Which is the better time of day to take a whale watching tour?

We will be in Juneau on Aug 6. 3 PM is the earliest tour we can make. Ship is scheduled to dock 2:30. All aboard about 9:30 PM,

Tours offered at 3:30 PM or 6 PM

i did the 3:30 for orca, last year. we were back at the cruise ships docks a little after 7pm. i would say it would depend on when you want dinner that night? work the tour around that. whales should be there for either time. the tours can't promise anything, after all these are trained whales. the tour boats just have to go out and find them;)

yep, i like it when people ask about the time for whales and such...i think we have gotten too use to schedule "show" times that we forget they are wild...

for whale watching it's up to a excursion boat to find them.

Maybe the OP was just wondering if whales were more active during certain times of the day. Kinda like if you wanna be bitten by a mosquito, dusk is a good time even tho it's possible to get bitten any time of the day.

oh, i know..but it's cute when you have been on these boards and see people write that.

i really do believe that we are so pre-set to making dinner reservations, getting the best show times and such..even when we go to zoo and sea life parks..the shows are at certain times. we just don't remember that these critters don't follow these rules when in the wild.

the tours in alaska are (Mostly) pre-set to the times the cruise ships are in port. the best time for you to go is what works best for your schedule while in port.

we were lucky, our whale watching only had to go 15 mins and we never moved after that. but if the whales are feeding else, you could have to travel longer to find them.

I wanted to know if there is a time mid afternoon or evening that the whales tend to be more active. In my area, if you want to watch the hummingbirds feed it's best to look for the birds early morning or evening. Would the whales tend to more active and more visiable during an evening trip or mid afternoon?

Archived