Glacier Bay Cruise Lines

vermonter16

• 4 months later...

Just came across your post from several months ago. We did a trip on Glacier Bay Tours and Cruises a few years ago. I can't say enough great things about it. We cruised on the Executive Explorer from Juneau to Ketchican. Of all the traveling we've done, including 2 trips to New Zealand, Hawaii, Paris and Austria, this has been my favorite vacation of all time. On the first day of our cruise, I found myself standing on the observation deck turning in circles because I just didn't know what to look at first.

Hope you haven't eliminated this as an option because no one has responded. Let me know if you are still interested in more detail. I can go on forever!

Hi Ellen:

I’ve been looking into taken a cruise with Glacier Bay since March. I almost decided to go but I decided on the Bus trip at the last moment.

I went to Alaska for a month in July. I spend two weeks doing a bus trip with Green Tortoise. The remaining two weeks were spent In transportation. I took a ferry from Bellingham to Juneau and than when I left Alaska, I took a train cross-country from Seattle.

While I was in Juneau, I talked to a couple of people who were boarding that night. I also talked to the lady in charge at the counter She said with my interests that I should go on the 610 cruise.

I’ve been looking for reviews for this company but they are pretty scarce. I have found two reviews on different boards but that is about it.

I’m planning on doing the Green Tortoise again and than flying down to Juneau and doing a back to back with Glacier Bay. With the early booking and early final payment discounts, this is not much more expensive than Windjammer, which I absolutely love.

Any information you wish to tell would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rogue

Sounds like you have had a great exposure to Alaska. Our trip was our one and only time there. I don't think I need to tell you much about Alaska - you know that there is no way to truly describe just what it looks like.

The cruise was perfect for my husband and me. We are very casual people. The night of the captains dinner, my husband took off his sweatshirt and put on a button down shirt. I wore regular shoes instead of hiking boots. We got to know everyone on board. While the maximum passengers for the Executive Explorer is 49, there were only 39 on board. I loved the fact that you just sat whereever for each meal - no assigned seating. And, just sitting in the lounge looking our the windows was a delight. Seats comfortable enough to dose off. Board games to be played. Sites to discuss with others. This type of trip appeals to people who want to get friendly with the people around them.

The food was very good. Not the huge selection you see on big ship cruises, but wonderful. The kitchen staff baked all the breads and sweets. There was always some fresh baked goodie out with early coffee before breakfast. Even the bread for lunch sandwiches was baked on board. There would be 2 entre choices for dinner. In the morning, they requested that you let them know which one you wanted.

Our captain had absolutely incredible vision. He was always able to see pods of whales in the distance. While you can't actually chase them, you can stop and let them catch up to you. One of my favorite memories is a cove that we couldn't sail into because the seals had recently given birth. Wanted to protect the young ones. While floating around at the mouth of this cove, an iceberg floated by with a seal on it. As it got closer, we realized it was a mother and a pup. Really terrific.

Our joke of the cruise was "oh, another fifteen hundred foot waterfall". It was absolutely amazing. Glacier Bay used to have a guestbook on their web page. I didn't see it when I looked last. One bit of advise I got from someone who had taken the cruise previously was that you can't take enough film. That is an absolute fact. I also found it fascinating that the time of year we were there (late May/early June), it doesn't really get dark. The sun just drops barely below the horizen and stays there until it rises again. We were also very fortunate with weather. It was in the 80's the day we got on board. I was really regretting I hadn't worn the pair of shorts I had packed "just in case". I purchased a rain suite before we left. Kept the tags on it and was able to return it to the store when we returned because I never needed it. It was misty during our cruise through Misty Fjiords (hence the name), but not so bad you needed rain gear.

The bathrooms on this boat were a new experience for me. Toilet and shower in one small room. It you could figure out how to keep a newspaper dry in there, you could accomplish a lot of things at once. We had one of the two large cabins on the boat, and were extremely pleased. Except for the fact that the bed was too low for our suitcases to fit under. I did see the next size cabin, and they were also nice. Twin beds. The cabin we saw didn't have the ability to put the bed together to make a queen. Don't know if they are all the same. Or they may have changed that since this boat was out of commission until recently for rehabbing.

I think if we do this trip again we would consider one of the repositioning cruises that go from Seattle north, or Juneau south. You stop at places other than the inside passage.

Anything else you want to know, just ask and I'll do my best.

Hi Ellen:

When I first started reading about Glacier Bay, I was debating on what trip to take. I originally thought about the repo from Seattle to Juneau but was put off by the cost. I started to look for alternative ways and I discovered the Alaskan State Ferry. I was frightened by reading all posts about how hard it is to get a cabin ect. Well, I found most of that to be untrue. The one that is mainly true is the Kennicott going across across the "bay". This is one trip in the future that I want to do along with going across the Auletian (sp?) chain. I may try to hook the two up together on my "good" vacation year. (2 months).

I'm used to casual cruising since I'm a Jammer. Shorts, t-shirts and swim suites are all I take. I'm going to have to make an exception going on this since I know being on the water can be a little chilly. Plus the rain. Alaska in the morning in July was pretty chilly some days. Enough to have condensation on the tents. As with the bathrooms. Vell, on Glacier Bay you have the luxury of a curtain. On Windjammers, you don't have one. You usually have to wipe off the toilet. (after the shower, that is) Unless you hate your roommate. <G>

Did you have a lot of repeat travellers? Or where they mostly new people cruising? How do they handle money on board. I.E. drinks and any gifts? I know they say all excursions are included but is that true? I know for the 610, the only opportunity for excursions will be Juneau and maybe the lodge in Glacier Bay. How do they handle tips? Are the officers excluded? Is it like the foo-foo ships where you tip each individual person? And, what was the recommended amount?

As with the cabin, it really doesn't matter. You are only in the cabin a little amount anyway. With Windjammer, I take a hammock and put it under the mast and that is where I sleep. I'm planning to take it with me and see if I can rig it somewhere, if it is allowed. A couple of night on the Tortoise, I ended up falling asleep on top of the bus. I was just watching the stars and just conked out. It's pretty peaceful. Since it will be August, hopefully the Aurora Boralis (sp?) will be visible. I think not but ...

I'm kind of limited to August since that is when Green Tortoise runs the loop and when the Wex is available with the single cabin. This is going to be the only way that I can afford this trip. 05 dates work out pretty good. I just hope that 06 dates also work out. I may have to stay an additional week, if they don't match. Let's see. HHmm. What should I do. Admiralty here I come.

Well, thank you for answering.

Rogue

Wow, you're talking adventure travel compared to what we do! While I"m pretty casual, I do love my comfort and luxury when I travel.

Shore excursions were not included on this trip. Any trips you booked were added to your bill. Drinks were also added to the bill that you settled on the last day. I seem to remember putting cash into an envelope and dropping it into a box for the tip. Can't remember if we made up separate envelopes for specific people, or one to be shared. There was a recommend tip guideline, but I don't know what it was. (am I helpful, or what?) I'm sure that the officers don't get included in the tip. Since the dining room is so informal, you don't have a matre de, bus boy, etc. You cabin stewart is your waiter!

There was a fridge in our room stocked with softdrinks. They were reasonable, maybe $1 for a can of soda. And, you could bring your own "refreshments" on board and store them in the fridge. Don't know how they would react to you bringing your own bottle of wine to dinner. Didn't see anyone doing that.

Everyone on board were first timers. A good mix of people. One couple were in their 80's - just great company. He was originally from Germany, she from France. My husband and I were in our early 40's when we did this trip, and were close to the youngest people on board. Except for the couple that brought their adult children with them - son in his late 20's, daughter in early 30's along with her husband. We spent quite a bit of time with them on board. There was another group of parents/grown children that were not as outgoing - they were the only people on board we didn't great real friendly with. Another couple that we met on line before the cruise were retired military from Colorado. They were just starting to travel in the US after all his years in the military that were spent overseas.

I've read some other commentaries from people traveling on the Alaska Ferry System. Sounds very interesting, just don't know if it's for me. I say that I'm spontaneous and flexible, but deep down I have to admit I prefer structure and the certain knowledge of exactly where I will be sleeping every night!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rogue-

I just happened by here. We did the Wilderness Explorer (looks like they are now calling it the 610) in August 2002, and are considering doing it again. The best experience ever! The crew was great, other passengers were great, scenery & activities can't be beat.

It sound like the type of thing you would like, but be prepared to change clothes a LOT. I changed several times a day, from a t-shirt to full fleece & gortex when near a glacier-the winds are very cold.

Since they can only have groups of a few kayakers in at a time to protect the pristine environment of Glacier Bay there are several ability and desired activity levels of groups you can join. We had people honeymooning in their 20's to a great guy there with his family that was in his late 70's-he was hard to keep up with!

We lucked into the top level cabin which was by far the best-big enough for all our stuff as we aren't good at traveling light. The next deck down was reasonable, but the lower decks were very cramped. You don't spend ANY time in your cabin other than sleeping & showering though, so no big deal unless your into luxury.

Everything is included except for alcohol, and prices for that are reasonable. Let me know if you have other questions that I can answer.

Nancy:)

Hi Nancy and Ellen:

Happy new year.

With the various activity levels, did they have to let the groups in certain time frames go? I.E. one group had to wait until the other group go. I know the N.P.S. pretty much regulates the park.

Do you remember where you went in the Glacier Bay Park? There is a map showing the routes but I'm not sure if that is just for planning purposes. I know the cruise ships cannot go into certain parts of the park. This is where I hope we will be going.

I have a small feeling that the single cabin on the Wex is in the bottom. That's allright. I don't plan to be in the cabin very much, if at all. I'm going to try to see if the captain will allow me to put up a hammock somewhere. <G>

You are the first person that I've contacted that has gone on this tour. There is one newspaper article about the Wex and that's about all I have found. Information is pretty scarce. Or, I'm just not looking right. There is another lady on the google site that I have E-mailed that also went on one of the other cruises.

While underway, were you allowed in the pilot house? If not, where would be the best spot to view the scenery. I'd guess the bow but ... How many hikes were offered? And, where they limited by the number of people that could go on it? Did you have a chance to go ashore in Gustaf. (sp?)

Besides the hiking and kayaking, what other activities were offered? Were there guest speakers or N.P.S. Rangers on board? What month did you go? And, what wild life did you see. The one thing that ticked me off beyond belief was in Homer, I asked a lady if Orca's were migrating and she said yes. I talked to the captain and he said it wasn't for another month.

It looks like I'm just about finished with preliminary planning. Actually, I have the whole trip figured out using 05 dates. It's a little tight but I think I can manage it. I just hope the 06 dates pan out.

I've decided that I need another recon of Alaska, so I'm going (probably) going to take a cruise through the Inside passage to Whittier. I really didn't explore the towns that the ferry went to plus when I get to Juneau, I'm going to talk to the Glacier Bay people again. I'm going to try to have an extra week and do a couple of things that I didn't get to do. Trying not to spend a lot of money is going to be hard though.

Well, I think that's enough. <G> Anything else you can think of that I'm missing, not taken into account?

Thank you.

Rogue

Hi Rogue-

I think I can answer most of your questions.

They fed us and then loaded us into kayaks around 8am or so. Different groups went together, but since they all went to different places it is ok with NPS. You are out & about until about 4pm. Typically we would kayak for a couple of hours, then get out for a potty break and snack, back in the kayaks until lunch, beach the kayaks on shore for lunch and then head out for some hiking (more of a bushwack as there are no trails). Then back in the kayaks and eventually back to the boat, where snacks awaited. Group max is 6 people I believe.

We left from the Glacier Bay Lodge, and mosied up through GB, stopping at tidal inlet and Queen inlet for sightseeing. When we woke up we were at Reid glacier. My group kayaked and hiked around there. Other groups went further, over to Lamplugh Glacier. Back on ship we headed up to Johns Hopkins, Margerie and Grand Pacific Glacier-winds blowing off them are very cold. We were pretty close to the glaciers, it was very cold. Large ships to not get nearly as close. The next day we were down at Bear Track Cove, which is a bit North of the lodge. Same drill. We saw bears and wolf, and lots of fresh moose tracks. Bald eagles were so thick in the trees it looked like they were inhabited by golf balls-we started calling them white dots;-> I think that was the night we dropped by the lodge to refuel and get water. You can get off the boat there, but we were only there for a couple of hours.

The next day we headed out the North Passage to Dundas Bay, more bear and great hiking in the muskeg. We took an unscheduled trip out a bit further to Taylor Bay to look at the Brady glacier, which was gorgeous if a bit of rough sea. Parked out there and watched the northern lights that night. Woke up in Icy Strait off Chichagof Island, and kayaked there with humpback whales-lots of 'em-incredible! The current was a bit swift and overwhelmed some of the less experienced kayakers (they do keep a zodiac on board for emergencies). Then back to Juneau!

Other than in Icy Strait (lots of fishing boats), I think we saw one cruise ship from a distance-I snapped a great pic of it behind the Wex, dwarfing it from probably a mile away.

I'm guessing a hammock or at least a sleeping bag would be fine-lots of crew slept on deck, especially when the northern lights were out. They were mostly pretty young, I think our captain was all of 30. No problem in the pilot house either. I don't think anywhere is off limits since you go through the kitchen to get to the kayak launch. Mostly we hung out on the bow and there was plenty of room for everyone. We had an onboard naturalist for the whole trip, and were lucky enough that one of the passengers was also a naturalist. I can't say enough about how wonderful the crew was. Very knowledgable and low key. One caveat-we got to know the captain after the cruise and he said that our particular trip was one of their best ever.

As far as animals too numerous to mention. Humpbacks, black bear, grizzly, moose, wolf, sea lions, seals, sea otters, more birds than you can imagine. We did not see any orcas, we went in August. I did go to Kenai Fjiords NP in August and saw LOTS of orcas. I live outside Seattle so they (fortunately) aren't that far from home!

As far as other activities you spend the evenings eating (good food, but nothing fancy), and then out to the deck with the naturalists. I think people were mostly in bed by 10 since all that fresh air and exercise is tiring:p

I've been on several cruises to the caribbean, and will never go anywhere on a big ship again after this experience. You just miss too much. We didn't see anyone other than our shipmates for 3 days-it was pretty remote.

Not Wex related but if you enjoy getting away from it all-we went to McCarthy in Wrangell-St. Elias NP a couple of years ago. Population 20. Fascinating place!

I think that answers all of your questions! Have fun.

Nancy

Hi Nancy:

Drats. This is making me wishing that I could drop 06 back to 05 but I can't. Vacation time was dented a little last year. I should of only gone 1 month. Oh vell. I'm giving me a consolidation price for 05.

Since I didn't explore the inside passage cities on the ferry, I've decided to take a cruise up to Whittier. Unfortunately it is on one of those floating cities but I guess I can put up with it. <G> I know they frown on hammocks though. I'm still going to try.

I'm planning on staying in Seattle or Vancouver for about 2 or 3 days before the cruise. I've always wanted to see killer whales in nature. I believe I read a story about Prince Edward Island. Any recommendation on a good tour to go on? My gth plan would be something with Mt. Ranier. I haven't started to look into anything yet since I still don't have the O.K. to go yet but I expect it within a couple of weeks. But, I'm digressing.

What condition was the equipment that they provided? What would you recommend on taking that wasn't provided? Did the ship have binoculars that you could use? I plan on getting a good pair but just like camera's, they come in all varieties and prices. I'll be backpacking before the trip so I'll have most everything that is not kayak related but since I'm relatively new to kayaking, I'll probably be overlooking some items. I'll be sleeping on deck. I see it now. <G>

While trolling the Internet, I stumbled across the OPS website. One of the jobs listed was a seasonal ranger at Glacier Bay. The pay stinks but... I plan on looking into that option someday. If I could only win the lottery.

When are you planning to do this again? I'm getting excited and it's still well in the future. Oh vell. It's getting there.

Thank you. This dream is looking to be a reality.

Rogue

Hi Rogue-

Sorry but I don't have a recommendation for whale watching. We kayak, and have friends with boats so have never been on a commercial trip in Washington. I would try the San Juans though. Orcas Island is my favorite and there's a state park there (Moran) that has camping.

All the gear on the Wex was in good condition. I don't think they had binoculars. We were wishing we had sprung for the good pair prior to our trip. Get waterproof or at least water resistant. Also, I wasn't real fond of the paddles and would take my own if going again. They are fine, but I'm used to my own.

Go for the ranger thing if you can! I wish I had done that when I was young and single.

Nancy

Hello everyone:

Thank you for your replies. I have some idea of what I'm getting myself into. <G>

I've decided this year to take a foo-foo cruise to Alaska this year and I was planning on doing some tours that are a little pricey but I've been looking at a couple of options and I think I'm going to try to take it easy this year. I want to try to have a lot of next year paid off at the end of this year.

I was going to try to go to Pack Creek on my own but I ran across a couple of websites that have changed my mind. I'm now thinking of taking a two-three day kayak trip to there. It's still a little pricey but going there for a day for about 1/2 vs. 3 days doesn't make sense. I'm going to research this a little further since I have questions on where exactly is the campground and how much would it be to rent a kayak. The hassle may not be worth the money and from the reviews that I read, it sounds like my kind of trip.

I'm thinking the big splurge this year will probably be the flight seeing out of Anchorage. And, maybe the snow mobiling if transportation works out. <G>

Now to work on the gear and try to harden the plans up. I think it will be June or so when the companies may have some idea about next year. Maybe. I just hope the dates don't fall through.

Rogue

• 3 weeks later...

I am interested in Glacier Bay and it sounds like everyone really enjoys their cruises. I've never been on a cruise before, and am somewhat concerned about sea sickness on such a relatively small boat. Does any one know if this is a problem for passengers on Glacier Bay or similarly sized boats in Alaska? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi jj1:

I see it's been a little bit with no response. I'll take a wag at it.

There was a posted similiar question on another board and the reply was there wasn't hardly any motion.

I have taken the Alaskan Highway Ferry up to Juneau from Bellingham and the only "potential" rockin was when there was a route to the open sea. It really wasn't bad at all. I was hoping for some rockin but ...

If you thinking of the 610 Cruise, I believe the only potential would be in the Icy Point Straight before you get into the park. I don't think this would be an issue once you get into the park.

If your looking at one of the foo-foo's with a Glacier Bay route, than there would be more of a chance for rockin. It depends on which route the ship takes getting there.

Either way, I wouldn't let that be a factor. There is medication out there that can help. Or, alternative ways.

Rogue

My wife and I are considering a Glacier Bay cruise. We took their on-line profile and came up a bit short of their recommendation for a high activity cruise. The Medium activity cruises sounded like a lot of time sitting on the boat.

Anyway, we're considering the Prince William Sound cruise. Can anyone shed light on the Sound? Would you expect the wildlife to be as abundant as GBNP?

Any thoughts would be helpful. On the one hand I don't want to sign up for a medium activity cruise and sit on the deck wishing I was out and about... on the other hand, we don't want to sign up for a high activity cruise and turn out to be the anchors everyone complains about when they get back home.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dirtbeard:

I'm not sure where the measurement between Moderate and High is at but. You may want to call the people at Glacier Bay and talk to them. They maybe able to shed more light on the high level excursion. I believe the 610 is the only one that is high.

The 510 does sound like it will be some cruising but it's cruising in one of the highlights of Alaska. There is going to be a ton of glacier viewing. I'm sure that there will be hiking and most definately kayaking.

I'd be guessing but I would say that there will be about the same type of wildlife on this trip but more glaciers. This is only a guess on my part though since I have not been on either.

If it wasn't for the price tag, I would do this trip but. Perhaps one day.

Rogue

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys:

Well, I finally found a review of the 610.

http://home.san.rr.com/garywachs/pages/alaska/journal.htm

This will give you a good overview of what this cruise is about.

I also found out a couple of things that I did not know before. R.E.I sponsors this cruise and if you are a member, you can get a discount. I believe you will have to sign up for this trip through R.E.I and not Glacier Bay but I'm guessing on this.

In addition, Glacier Bay is waiving the single supplement for 2005 cruises. I'm not sure if this is only for the 610 or not. You may want to ask if this is only for the 610 cruise.

A Glacier Bay representative that I talked to stressed that you will be on the water 8-9 hours a day and that the kayaks will not turn around. I'm guessing that they had someone last year that may of not known what they were getting into. Or, that they rep didn't have all the details.

The lady also said that the 2006 schedule will be out sometime in June or July. Hopefully, the discounts will stay the same. If they do remain the same then:

$1465.00 + $80.00 port/taxes = $1545.00(May/August 2005 price)

$250.00 if booked before January 31

$100.00 if paid before Januar 31

$50.00 if member of R.E.I.

$1145/week

The above is for planning only. It is to late to get the early booking/paid off discount but hopefully this will be in place for next year.

Rogue

• 8 months later...

Hi, Dirtbeard. We did the Sound in June this year, and it was fantastic. I really just wanted to stay on for at least another week.

We did the medium cruise because of the timing, and thought it would be a little lightweight for us but it really wasn't. They divide the passengers into groups by desired level of kayaking, so you can be in the advanced group and get plenty of strenuous activity (3 hours a day).

With regards to the PWS and wildlife, you definitely get fewer whales than in Glacier Bay, but we say bears, deer, thousands of seals and sea lions, and about 15 whales. PWS is not fully recovered from Valdez, but only a naturalist would be able to tell.

We loved everything about it and are working out when we can go again. Captain and crew and food and all were just great. I would echo everything that has already been said about the WEX, though we were on the WAV (Wilderness Adventurer) which is a little bigger.

Thanks, sailboats - should have looked before I leaped (posted)! Appreciate the redirect.

Heading to my first cruise on Celebrity tomorrow, so I'll look forward to commenting in a more recent discussion on a more recent experience!

Archived