TA Says Too Early to Quote on Group Cruise in August 2005?

amenuensis

A Travel Agent is telling me I should wait until October to get a quote on a group cruise in August 2005 (7 or more staterooms and counting) I'm trying to plan (Zaandam to Alaska). Or rather, too early to get a good discount. He's telling me to just wait until then. He said for instance that "if Holland America adds another ship to their Alaska itinerary, the prices will change."

It doesn't sound right to me, but then again what do I know.

Meanwhile, everyone is itching to get their staterooms booked, and I'm beginning to think I should forget about trying to get a group rate and just tell everyone who wants to go, to book their own staterooms on the same ship and try to get their own best deal, keeping an eye on price reductions.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

That's really strange because HAL was offering incentives just recently(July) to agents who set up 2005 groups now. Expanded GAP program, no deposits for stateroom counts under 50, etc. Try another agent.

Meanwhile, everyone is itching to get their staterooms booked, and I'm beginning to think I should forget about trying to get a group rate and just tell everyone who wants to go, to book their own staterooms on the same ship and try to get their own best deal, keeping an eye on price reductions.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

If it were me, I would do just that, tell them all to book their own. Getting in the middle of everyone's bookings can be time consuming and turn into a pain in the butt. If someone doesn't like something, they tend to blame you and want you to fix it.

Keep in mind that some of those promos that may crop up later does not always apply to a group booking.

I have been involved with 2 group bookings in my life, and I would venture to say never again. One thing I noted, the price isn`t particularly lower, you can do much better booking cabins separately, When prices go down, usually groups can`t get the lower price. The cruise line has to recoup the freebies they are giving out from somewhere....jean

I want to add some more cents...I DO suggest doing a Group Booking on this particular sailing if it is early August. You can lock in the prices now. Prices will be going up, up, up... mark my words. Demand is and will be high. Just give your TA a list of names & phone numbers and/or addresses and let them earn their commission and get yourself out of the loop or tell your family & friends to call the TA direct, again leaving you out of the loop. You can get some nice freebies with groups.

I heard from my district sales manager for Holland America Line today. She said ..."Book Alaska groups now". Many sailings and ships are already closed to group bookings. Oosterdam is chartered for about six sailings. If you can't find a TA to do this for you please call HOLLAND AMERICA NOW. If you talk to HAL or an TA ask how many 'GAP' points your group will get. Very important. Don't wait.

You need another TA IMO

I agree that you should be booking it now.

I also agree that if the prices drop (which is not likely), groups often do not get the reduced rate. I think you will get a better rate now rather than later.

As a TA that books mostly groups, I can say that if the prices drop our groups are protected. If rates go down, so do our prices. We write that stipulation in to every group contract we have with Holland America.

Sometimes a promotion will come along that is not available to groups. We always offer our groups the chance to switch to the promo bookings if they choose to do so.

I can sympathise with those of you caught in the middle of planning a group cruise. You'll need to set some ground rules for your family members. Holland America will give you group pricing even if only one cabin is booked. GAP points only apply if five or more cabins are booked and actually sail.

Just book your cabin first. Give others the details and the group contract number. Don't wait until you have a "yes" from other people.

Like everyone else has been saying ... groups have been open for some time now and they will most definitely be going up in price. From what I've heard, groups for Alaska and Europe 2005 have already risen in rates. Waiting until October could produce unfavorable results.

My first ever cruise, on the Statendam to Alaska, was a group cruise. Our TA had everything worked out with HAL over a year in advance. We cruised during peak season (beginning of July), so waiting wasn't an option. We got an excellent fare, much of it due to the fact that we did book early.

I don't think your TA is giving you good advice.

Roz

I am considering a group on the Amsterdam Aug 14, 2005. It is a poker cruise so I have to book with that agency. She said the prices are locked in and will not change. So I guess if the prices go down they keep the discount. Is that the way it works? Also I never cruised on Hal before, do they have upgrades too like the other cruiselines.

Archived