Just off the Legend Yesterday...

Kerrid

The ship is beautiful, very clean and the food was very good. We had a wonderful time and would go on this ship again. The crew was always very friendly. The cruise director, Chris Roberts is entertaining!

Embarkation was a breeze took about 40 mins total and the self disembarkation in Tampa we were in the car by 8am and home by 8:30am.

Ports of call:

Grand Cayman - we took a taxi ($4 each way pp) and went to the Courtyard Marriott's beach. Beautiful clean beach and great snorkeling just offshore. Beach chairs were $10 each and included a softdrink or bottled water. Clean restrooms and showers. There is a beach bar and cafe' there as well.

Cozumel - we spent a few hours at the El Cid resort right there next to the pier. We were able to use the facility for the day if we listened to one of the time share talks.. My DH was up front that we were not going to sign anything and they gave us the 20 mins version and let us use the facility. Great snorkeling - felt like we were in an aquarium.

Belize - we did the Altun Ha & Belize City tour - excellent tour and highly recommend it. We got to see alot of the inner city and the ruins were very interesting to hear about and actually look at in person.

Costa Maya - our excursion was cancelled due to late arrival so we asked a guard about a local beach and he advised taking a taxi. So we took a taxi to the beach and were dropped off at Majuhaul and didn't like this area at all and the people were very, very pushy to buy a drink or souvenirs from them. There is no 'real' beach at this place. We would not go there again if ever in Costa Maya. We then took a taxi out to Uvero beach and we highly recommend that excursion from the ship (it's alot cheaper than taking a taxi on your own)..... found that out the hard way. Uvero has a nice play area for kids, showers, restrooms, open bar and food are included in the price.

We had an inside room on the 7th floor (7257), we brought along a night light and we had no issues with sleeping in an inside cabin. We spent the money we would have spent on a balcony room on excursions and drinks.

Food was really good. The deli is NOT to be missed up in the Unicorn Cafe' Never a long line and fresh sandwiches made to order.. Yummmmmy! Dinners were good - we never tried the Fleece Supper Club as we thought the dinners in the main diningroom were good.

If anyone has any questions I'd be glad to answer them!

Just a quick question We have been on Spirit class. We sailed from Tampa only once. I can not remember the length of time until you pass under sky way. Our roll call wanted to meet on Sunday. We have early dinner plus our wrap balcony so I know my family will want to be on balcony part of time as we get ready for dinner and leave Tampa bay. I thought it was about an hour until you passed under bridge. Am I correct.

We've had early dinner on Tampa cruises, and I remember passing under the skyway during dinner, if that helps. Around 6pm, if memory serves me correctly.

Glad you enjoyed the Legend, she is still our all time favorite ship! :)

Thanks for the review. Unfortunately, we have to wait until next March to see the Legend, but spend alot of time on the boards checking things out. Which ports were you able to dock? On our previous cruises, we've been able to dock at each port. We're "newbies" to the tendering.

katesmarma, it is about 2 hours till you go under the bridge. If I remember correctly it was like 6:15 when we passed under.It was during early seating, so we just told the Maitre'd we wanted late seating. We kept it for the rest of the cruise. Enjoy the Legend.

Nice review. Did you have to confirm your reservation with the Marriott on GC ahead of time or did you just "show up." Was the food at the restaurant/bar expensive? Assume GC would be pricey.

Have never heard of El Cid resort. What are the facilities? Assume there is a website? Good for you for getting the 20 minute time share tour. We did that once years ago and it wasted at least 2 hours in St. Martin.

Interesting comment about Costa Maya. Did you like the port area? Was it crowded?

Thinking about the Legend next March. The dining times are 5:45 and 8:00? There are only two sittings, correct?

Thanks so much for your review!! We are on The Legend in July and I can't wait!

I'm also wondering about your comments on Costa Maya. We are currently booked for a day at Tequila Beach and I'm now wondering if I should reconsider. We are also parasailing from here as well. Did you happen to see this place when in Mahahual? There have been several not so positive comments about this village and I'm wondering if I should reconsider this day and do something else.

Hi - sorry for the late response - computer issues last week!

Katesmarma - we sailed under the skyway just around 6pm. So 2 hours after leaving Tampa.

Norski - we docked in Cozumel and Costa Maya. The tender in Grand Cayman was fast and efficient as well as the one in Belize. In Belize we had booked an excursion so we met in the Follies lounge at the specified time and all tendered together to shore.

Mainer208 - no need to make reservations at the Marriott Courtyard, GC. The taxi's right at the tender area in port are all lined up waiting, they load them up and you tell them you want to go to Courtyard Marriott and they will drop you off right at the beach. The Marriott has a designated area for cruisers and you can rent a chair. I did not look at the drink/food menu prices but from what I read all of establishments in GC is expensive to eat at. We ate a huge breakfast on the ship before and waited to eat lunch when we got back on board around 3pm. The taxis line up out in front of the beach for anyone returning to the ship. It was great! In Cozumel, El Cid is literally a 5 min walk from the shopping area at the end of the pier. We were approached by a woman who worked for them asking us what we were doing for the day and when she gave us the spiel about the presentation we went for it just because we saved $13/each way taxi to the beach and then saved on the beach chair rentals and drinks. This resort is pretty nice, with excellent snorkeling. You can see it from the cruise ship. There is no walk in beach but stairs that lead you down into the water. They had 2 pools as well - one fresh and one saltwater that leads out into the water. They do have a website http://www.elcid.com/index2.php?dest=czm&nego=ceiba&cat=accommodations&op=welcome&lang=eng Costa Maya - the port has quite a few shops at the end of the pier, I found the retailers to be kinda pushy of course as they are trying to make a living - remember everything is negotiable with them. The port area is nice and they have a salt water pool with swim up bar which was looked nice! Dining times on the ship were 5:45pm and 8:15pm.

smalltowngrl - Tequila beach I believe we saw it as it's the beach running along behind the bars and there were tables w/tiki umbrellas but not much sand to sprawl out on or even loungers to lay down on. I know some did have a good time in this area but the pushy people asking us to buy souveniers and eat from their establishments turned us off and we just wanted to relax and feel that our belongings would be safe if we were to leave them on the beach and after getting home and doing some internet research I have read some not so good things about that area. To each their own but that was our impression so we left and went to Uvero beach and really enjoyed it.

roadshow69 - you won't be disappointed, Uvero beach is a fun place and the water was so warm and very clean.

We've been on one cruise - Disney, only 2 ports, nothing to seriously consider. This time, we're going on the Legend, and I've got a few questions. What does tender mean? Also, how does everyone find out all the information they have about the ports, and what is available? I've got a couple books, but they discuss all the ports, all cruise lines, etc. Does anyone have any names of good books about each port and what there is to do that is very detailed? Mostly, we want to snorkle, build sandcastles with our kids, and do the beach thing. IF anyone could leave me some tips and ideas on where to go to do these things, how to get there, and the prices, I would appreciate it. for sure, we're doing Stingray City, that we know, but the rest of the ports, we're unsure. HELP!!!

We've been on one cruise - Disney, only 2 ports, nothing to seriously consider. This time, we're going on the Legend, and I've got a few questions. What does tender mean? Also, how does everyone find out all the information they have about the ports, and what is available? I've got a couple books, but they discuss all the ports, all cruise lines, etc. Does anyone have any names of good books about each port and what there is to do that is very detailed? Mostly, we want to snorkle, build sandcastles with our kids, and do the beach thing. IF anyone could leave me some tips and ideas on where to go to do these things, how to get there, and the prices, I would appreciate it. for sure, we're doing Stingray City, that we know, but the rest of the ports, we're unsure. HELP!!!

Tenders are the boats that take you from the cruise ship to shore in some ports. There is not always the availability to dock at a pier, either due to space or for enviromental or otehr reasons.

I found out all of the information about my ports either here in the "port of call" forums or by checking out the listed excursions on the Carnival Website. You can also just use good ole Google if you have time and patience to sort through the hits.

We have sailed on Several Carnival ships. Knowing that all ships are different. How would you compare Legend with the Caribbean Princess or the Grand Princess?

We are sailing on the Legend in November.

I wonder the same thing. We're going in November also. When are you going in November? We still have the Victory booked, but we're going to change it to the legend.

Please join us on the Legend on Nov 4, 2007. there are approx 5 other cc poster and others are starting to join us. check out our thread **Legend** Nov 4, 2007**** From all that I have read this is going to be a great ship to cruise on. If anyone undecide on a cruise, Join us and and we can form a committee :rolleyes: while you are on the cruise with us :D and we will give suggestion for your next cruise

Mafig - There were some tables for 2 in the diningroom. We went immediately to the maitre'd upon embarkation and we changed from a table of 4 to a table for 2. It was on the 2nd level, table 414 and was against the railing looking down upon the 1st floor diners. Not a bad location at all.

jschafer6161 - the excursions are listed on the carnival website once you book your trip you can enter in your guest information online and access all the excursions. Grand Cayman if you want to save money take a taxi from the pier to the beach @ the MarriottCourtyard, Grand Cayman on Seven Mile beach it's $4/pp each way and it's located next to the beach "Sea Grape Beach" that the ship charges $29 pp for. So it is definately cheaper than going w/the cruise line's excursion. Snorkeling right off the beach is pretty good! Belize - definately do an excursion there as there is nothing else to do once you get off the ship, it's a very depressed city. I know they had a private island excursion w/the ship for $29/pp. Costa Maya - I'd recommend Uvero Beach and that was $39pp w/the ship but if you go out on your own to this beach it's more $$.

We enjoyed our 1st DCL trip, but cancelled it when I booked an extended balcony for the same price as our "secret porthole" cabin for 4 nights...way better ports of call imo.

I've purchased the frommers & fodors cruise books (cheap 06's on ebay lol) they list each port & lots of excursions. Carnival's site has descriptions too.

Archived