Surely HAL's not the only one

Orcrone

The thread about HAL closing off a premium venue (the Crow's Nest) for an entire cruise has elicited a lot of responses and has gotten people stirred up. But HAL's not the only one with a premium venue.

RCI has they're 360 degree lounges high up on every ship. Princess has their lounges that are suspended at the aft of the ship (don't know how to describe it). I only know of HAL's actions because of this board. I wouldn't know if other cruise lines have taken a premium venue for an entire cruise because I don't spend much time on other boards.

Does anyone know of any other (I know there was talk about Crystal) cruise lines have done the same thing, or is HAL alone?

Over the years, I have on occasion observed that a lounge has been closed for a "private function" while aboard Princess ships.

I don't believe it has been for a whole cruise, as described in the aforementioned thread, but more of a sporadic thing.

Does anyone know of any other (I know there was talk about Crystal) cruise lines have done the same thing, or is HAL alone?

As far as we're concerned I wouldn't care if one or all of the cruiselines did this. It is wrong however many do it. We just don't want the cruiseline we choose to sail to do it. We expect to get what we paid for most, if not all, of the time. ;)

There is an on-going converation on the Crystal Board of CC about a group on one of their ships taking over venues, imposing their political views on other pax.....in general, being obnoxious to the other pax aboard that cruise.

They are big money makers. Every corporation needs to make money. The more money the better! What has happened on Rotterdam this cruise is particularly bothersome but it is hardly the first (nor the last) time that pax not a part of a particular group have 'lost out' during their cruises. They lose use of public spaces, lose choice of dining hour, get pushed to the rear when it is time to board tenders....... The group rules!!

As far as we're concerned I wouldn't care if one or all of the cruiselines did this. It is wrong however many do it. We just don't want the cruiseline we choose to sail to do it. We expect to get what we paid for most, if not all, of the time. ;)

Peaches,

I didn't post this topic to justify in any way what HAL's doing with the Crow's Nest. It was mainly informational. If I (or anyone else) chooses not to sail HAL for this reason I'd hate to experience the same thing on another cruise line.:)

On the RCCI ships I've been on there is a conference center that is used for most private group functions. Only once or twice have I noticed the Viking Lounge closed for a private group (it's the highest lounge on the RCCI ships). It wasn't for the whole trip or even more than a few hours.

As others have stated, it's not just a private function here-and-there, BUT the Crow's Nest has been OFF LIMITS to pax until late at night for the ENTIRE CRUISE that has really upset so many CCers.

The reasons HAL may have done this has been belabored on the board. Personally, I am not interested in the "why" of HAL's decision (bottom line is $$$$ of course) but WHY did't HAL consider the reaction of pax on board and the legions of future pax here? It was a poor decision. Already many have called, emailed and snail mailed HAL headquarters. Many of us will be closely watching to see if this happens again on this or another ship.

As for me, whomever is doing it, they are wrong!

I can understand minor inconveniences being caused by a large group on board and I can understand HAL's interest in groups. That's a no brainer.

What I don't understand and what is not acceptable is for HAL to throw the interests of their regular passengers overboard in such an "in your face way" as they have done on the Rotterdam.

It is a stupid thing to do. If it continues, it is bound to have a negative impact on HAL's reputation and, eventually, their bottom line.

We may as well get used to it. Groups are big business, not only for cruise lines but for travel agents as well. Most every TA trade publication features regular articles/columns on selling groups. It's really a major focus right now. The company or association stages the cruise and becomes "The Pied Piper," doing the bulk of the selling of the cruise to it's employees/customers/members. The travel agency gets lots of bookings for much less investment of time and energy than making all those bookings one by one.

So, IMO, we will see more of this as time goes on.

This is the second or third egregious stupid error on HAL's part. The first was the rescinding of posted AND CONFIRMED prices on that Noordam cruise. There might have been a second incident of that type.

Now this. If you advertise a package and part of it is unavailable, the portion of that package that was unavailable should be rebated to those who cannot have it. When I order perfume that has been advertised at a price, give my credit card number and it is charged to my account, all of it is delivered. If for some reason what I order is not shipped, I get a rebate on my credit card for the undelivered items and a small credit toward my next purchase. That's how HAL should handle this incident.

Once I am burned by nondelivery of promised items, I don't do business with the perpetrator. There is a travel agent who burned me on a promised item. They won't see my business again. I'd rather pay more money to someone I can trust.

That's the bottom line - TRUST.

Roberta

Last Oct, the Inifinty had a wedding party on board for 7 days. There was the bride and groom and 80 guests. And there were a ton of people from the food network and photography crew taping everything. Giada even came on board in Hilo. Food network paid for the wedding which was held in Kona. But the rehersal dinner and wedding dinners and other special meals was all done on the ship and cooked by the ship's crew. They were even given use of one of the specialty restaurants to use a few days as well as that kitchen!! It was just aired on Sunday - 2 hours long.

Archived