Permanant Noro Precautions

EMess

Given the frequency of thses "Noro" outbreaks, why doesn't the cruise line simply keep the precautions in place? I know there is a cost issue and I'd imagine that is the answer to the question I just asked. However, it's got to be better just to incorporate the precautions as a routine then to initiate them over and over again. It does put a large strain on the staff so maybe Princess might have to bring in additional workers. I'd rather have people scooping the food for me at the buffet then all those people with their grubby hands picking through the food.

That would be like trying to keep a school or hotel free of noro. I would think it would be like spitting in the wind. :eek: Keep one spot clean only for someone to touch something else. The flu is the flu, keep your hands away from your face, eat right and exercise. Those are the best precautions.

The best precaution for avoiding the flu is to wash your hands. Start with warm water, lather up for at least three choruses of "Row Your Boat" or the "Alphabet Song" and then rinse off and dry your hands. Use a towel to shut off the water and to open the door.

Also not touching your mouth, nose and eyes will also help.

To assume that it is the cruise ship's duty to keep you noro-free makes you a no winner.

Charlie

When we were on the Sun Princess with norovirus - we could not use salt and pepper shakers, we had paper disposable menus and we could not get a roll out of the roll basket.... It was not pretty. I would not want this to do this on every single cruise. I would probably quit cruising.

I think what OP is referring to is the following:

• Having Princess serve the food in the buffet
  • Requiring passengers to use the hand sanitizers by not allowing them into the buffet, into the dining rooms, on/off the ship until they use them
  • Propping open the public bathroom doors
  • Replacing salt/pepper shakers with salt/pepper packets
  • Removing the bread baskets, and serving individual rolls to each person
  • Having individual packets of butter instead of a butter dish

I'm sure I missed a few things that also occur as the ship goes to "code red." Feel free to add others.

If Princess kept the "Code Red" things in place, passengers would really crab and complain. Having been on a cruise several times when these things have been put in place, I've heard nothing but complaints from other people. They want to be able to get their own food. Period. Heck, the last three Princess cruises I've been on, no one was allowed into the buffet without sanitizing their hands and they were handed plates, napkins and silverware so that's already in place. Same thing for the dining room: the Maitre D watched everyone as they entered and had a bottle in hand.

Best way to avoid Norovirus on a ship is to keep passengers from boarding. Or, perhaps, keep them in quarantine for 48 hours before boarding. :)

While SOME of those suggestions make excellent sense, I have 2 objections, and I want to add that these are just * MY* Personal Opinions, lets leave the salt/pepper packets and individual packets of butter at the fast food restaurants :rolleyes:

I think what OP is referring to is the following:

• Having Princess serve the food in the buffet
  • Requiring passengers to use the hand sanitizers by not allowing them into the buffet, into the dining rooms, on/off the ship until they use them
  • Propping open the public bathroom doors
  • Replacing salt/pepper shakers with salt/pepper packets
  • Removing the bread baskets, and serving individual rolls to each person
  • Having individual packets of butter instead of a butter dish

I'm sure I missed a few things that also occur as the ship goes to "code red." Feel free to add others.

On our last Norwegian cruise, they had a stand with hand sanitizer outside of every venue, I saw most people use them. You just can't force anyone, what a pity some people just don't think of others. We used the sanitizers on the way in, and on the way out, worked for us.

Hi to all..

I am a chef at an all inclusive in the Carib, been doing it for the last 28 years. I have been doing buffets for a long time. Unfortunately, when visiting the john, I would hate to tell you how many guys zip up and exit without doing the washing bit. Then they go and "fondle" the bread. The one I avoid at all costs are those "cut your own" breads on buffets. Ohhhh man, those are a "Killah"..

Remember that I also use my hand towel to open the door on the way out of the john.

Cross contamination cannot be avoided. If you meet me on ship, you will know me because I use the Caribbean greeting of "knock fist" instead of the good old handshake. Oh yea, I will also be the one using the dining rooms instead of the buffets, but, unfortunately, having been in the kitchen, I know what goes on there, too.

Take your chances and , above all, Carpe Diem"!

Archived