Dinning Room - Table for two?

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but I couldn't find anything doing a search on this topic in the forum. We are first time cruisers and are wondering how hard it is to get a table for two in the dinning room? Do we have to do anything special in order to get a table for two?

Thanks for your help!

Mike

You should definitely have your request noted on your reservation. Keep in mind that all dining/seating requests are just that--requests. The cruise line will not guarantee a specific table size or dining time. Check your table assignment when you board, and if it's not a table for two, check with the Matre' D (there should be hours posted when you can do this) and ask to change. Sometimes they can do it; sometimes not. They will try to accomodate you if they can.

beachchick

Unless you have some weird reason for eating alone, you should give having tablemates a try. We've found it to be the highlight of our cruises! Interesting folks, who have a love of cruising in common with you--all out for a good time. There is PLENTY of time to be "alone" and romantic on the cruise. Dinner is an event! It's like a party! And as with parties, the more, the merrier! Try it! You may be surprised how much fun you have!

Unless you have some weird reason for eating alone, you should give having tablemates a try. We've found it to be the highlight of our cruises! Interesting folks, who have a love of cruising in common with you--all out for a good time. There is PLENTY of time to be "alone" and romantic on the cruise. Dinner is an event! It's like a party! And as with parties, the more, the merrier! Try it! You may be surprised how much fun you have!

Why would you put "weird" as the sole type of reasons that people might prefer to dine only with a spouse/SO or other family members? I don't tell people that they have "weird" reasons when they prefer the large tables and dining with strangers.

We all have personal preferences and can make choices that suit us. DH and I (and our family) enjoy meeting new people. We do not enjoy doing so in the confined environment of a formal dining room over a 2 hour dinner. Not all table mates are "interesting" folks or fun to spend time with. As well, sometimes table mates are simply incompatible (nothing "wrong" with anyone at the table; they just don't jibe as a group).

I also don't understand why every time someone asks about tables for two, at least one member (and usually more) chime in basically telling the OP that he or she "should" try a large table. Why would anyone assume that others haven't already considered the various options and made an informed and personal choice?

beachchick

I requested a table for two when I booked my cruise. I was told by my TA to check my table when I get onboard and if I an not satisfied to speak with the Maitre' D.

Our "weird" reason for eating alone is that we prefer each others company over that of strangers. On our last cruise we had NOTHING in common with our tablemates (we didn't even speak the same language). Thankfully they didn't show up after the second night, otherwise we would have been switching tables or eating at the Windjammer. We go on vacation to spend time with each other, not to spend a week dining with strangers.

We, too, requested a table for 2. We didn't receive it, but asked the first day and our request was granted. Everyone has different reasons for wanting to have dinner alone and noone else should judge.

(Personally I have a disability due to a fall from a horse and cannot sit very well, I would just rather sit alone with my husband than have to explain. I know everyone would understand, but that's just how I feel and would like the privacy of a table for 2. A few times we had to leave early and we also didn't want to disrupt others.)

Just be sure to check your table assignment as soon as you get on board and request the change immediately so you can be sure to get it. Have a wonderful cruise!!

We took the risk and had a delightful time at a table for 10 and met some very nice people. I know, I know---it's a potluck situation, but it worked out great that cruise. We never skipped dinner and had a lot of laughs. I know it won't be this perfect all the time, but we'll at least give it a try. Frank

I had requested a table for 2 back in jan with our TA. I sailed on the Enchantment last thursday and when we went to check our table assignment. There it was a table for two on the balcony by the window.

Good luck with your request.

We have requested a table for two and our TA put it on as a reservation request with RCCL. Although we know it is only a request, we will check as soon as we get onboard and If we cant get a table for just the two of us, we will let the dining staff know and eat in the Windjammer every night.

Its not that we are unsociable...Im sure there will be plenty of times for meeting others at the pool & bar etc. We just dont want to be forced into having to make conversation with strangers.

Happy Cruising

Chubbas XX

big tables are hit and miss. we made great friends on our first cruise and really didn't like either of the stuffy couples on our second. This time, we'll try for a table for two, and if not, enjoy a couple of nights at Portofinos.

We have requested a table for two and our TA put it on as a reservation request with RCCL. Although we know it is only a request, we will check as soon as we get onboard and If we cant get a table for just the two of us, we will let the dining staff know and eat in the Windjammer every night.

Its not that we are unsociable...Im sure there will be plenty of times for meeting others at the pool & bar etc. We just dont want to be forced into having to make conversation with strangers.

Happy Cruising

Chubbas XX

I hope you get your request. We did on our last cruise. It was very special. We did chat with people at the tables next to ours at times, but was so nice not having to feel obligated when we simply didn't feel like making idle chit-chat/small talk. While DH and I are both social, outgoing people 90+% of the time, and while we have enjoyed getting to know some of our tablemates during past cruises, we are coming to realize that some of our best/special time spent together is during more romantic meals.

There is certainly no "wrong" choice on dining options during your vacation. I don't think anyone should have to explain/defend, especially in today's busy, busy world, why they prefer to dine with just their significant other, or immediate family, during their vacation voyage. Have fun :)

We have always asked for large tables so we could meet people and for a few cruises we enjoyed the company of interesting people. Last cruise we were seated with two families - parents and two teens in each; it was a mix that didn't work. Nice people but we had nothing in common other than being on a cruise ship.

For some time now we have wondered if we would perhaps be happier at a table for two. Plan to try the larger table one more time however if it doesn't work out for us we will start booking a table for two.

Archived