dress code questions

So I've never been on a cruise before, I'm reading the website dress code info and it says cocktail dresses and suits, or tuxes for the formal nights. Does this mean I cannot wear a very dressy pair of slacks and top at all? I hate cocktail dresses, so I'm just curious how strictly people follow these. And the casual nights, how casual are they? I'm trying to pack and I just don't know what to bring. Thanks for your help!

Which cruise are you going on? We were on Sovereign OTS, so it was only a 4 night cruise. There was only 1 formal night, and you could get away with dress slacks and nice top. To tell you the truth, some people dressed casual too. They didn't seem very strict with the dress code as the dining room as not as fancy as on some of the other ships. The most casual I saw was jeans & tshirts. I think they prefer when walking around in bathing suits that people wear some sort of cover-up. But a lot of the younger girls were showing their stuff off.

For the casual nights, I usually do kaky slacks and a top and some sandals. For the smart casual nights, I usually do dress slacks and a top or even a pantsuit (matching top and slacks) with the same sandals. For the formal night, I have a dress or two I usually pack. They are just simple black dressy dresses. The only thing I detest about a dress is the panty hose. Just hate putting those on. The sandals I pack have some sparkles on them. So they look good with casual or dressier pants.

I'm not even sure they call the inbetween nights smart casual anymore. I haven't cruised for a couple years (had a baby). I'd say anything you deem appropriate for church would look nice in the dining room. I used to do a different outfit or dress for every evening, but now I repeat outfits. Cuts down on the luggage.

My husband takes some kaky's & golf shirts for the casual nights, a shirt/tie/dress slacks outfit for the smart casual nights, and 1 suit for formal night.

Congrats on booking your first cruise. They are addictive!! We've been on 8 over the past few years. Our next one is fall 2008. Can't wait.

Have fun!

You will see lots of very dressy dresses on formal night - cocktail to gowns and you will also see less dressy dresses as well.

You will feel comfortable with a nice pair of black slacks and a dressy top.

I was a little surprised at how dressed-up people were on our first cruise in 2000.

Archived