Ship overnight in port - Can I disembark anytime?

sprinkles

Hi all,

Starting to look for flights for Canada/New England in the fall. Ship spends the last two days in Quebec City. I've never done this and would rather hear from those of you who know vs some 18yr old Princess Rep who would just put me on hold for 15 minutes and I wouldn't really trust anyway.

Does the gangway stay open all night? I somehow don't believe that it would (having to keep it manned for security and such).

If not, what time would it open in the morning? I have to believe that we would have to clear all of our customs and immigration the day before? Or am I wrong on this thought process too? I mean, if I wanted too we could disembark the first day in Quebec City, right?

Just wondering about the possibility of booking an early morning flight.

No TA here, direct booking, doing it all on my own.

Also if anyone out there knows much about Quebec City, is the airport close? How much for taxi's, etc? (yes, I will also ask this part on the Canada board).

Thanks for any help, happy cruising everyone!!!!

Tammy

Usually whilst in Port Miss, it does. The Ship usually notifies you if there is a possibility of early departures as well keep an eye on the Weather as it is actually the Captain (Master) of the Ship which is in charge and makes the ultimate decisions .

Yes most Ports of Call when staying over the Ships Security Forces do have the Points of Access and Egress manned .

Before departure you may see divers as well as that is a secuirty measure also to check the hull and surounding water..

Forget about the princess Reps there Customer Service in Seattle ..well a nicer word..Lacks a lot there...

They are on the Internet too but in the I I A (Interrnet Ice Ages) still.

On Quebec City well I think someone else will come in as my french is well... je parle francais un petite per madamoselle.

:D

Hi all,

Starting to look for flights for Canada/New England in the fall. Ship spends the last two days in Quebec City. I've never done this and would rather hear from those of you who know vs some 18yr old Princess Rep who would just put me on hold for 15 minutes and I wouldn't really trust anyway.

Does the gangway stay open all night? I somehow don't believe that it would (having to keep it manned for security and such).

If not, what time would it open in the morning? I have to believe that we would have to clear all of our customs and immigration the day before? Or am I wrong on this thought process too? I mean, if I wanted too we could disembark the first day in Quebec City, right?

Just wondering about the possibility of booking an early morning flight.

No TA here, direct booking, doing it all on my own.

Also if anyone out there knows much about Quebec City, is the airport close? How much for taxi's, etc? (yes, I will also ask this part on the Canada board).

Thanks for any help, happy cruising everyone!!!!

Tammy

Usually whilst in Port Miss, it does. The Ship usually notifies you if there is a possibility of early departures as well keep an eye on the Weather as it is actually the Captain (Master) of the Ship which is in charge and makes the ultimate decisions .

Yes most Ports of Call when staying over the Ships Security Forces do have the Points of Access and Egress manned .

Before departure you may see divers as well as that is a secuirty measure also to check the hull and surounding water..

Forget about the princess Reps there Customer Service in Seattle ..well a nicer word..Lacks a lot there...

They are on the Internet too but in the I I A (Interrnet Ice Ages) still.

On Quebec City well I think someone else will come in as my french is well... je parle francais un petite per madamoselle.

:D

boy, I have no idea how divers have anything to do with getting off the ship early in Quebec...or the Captain watching the weather.......

me thinks you had too much PRIME tonight:p .....or watched the NYSE too much today

Well, Thanks for the info.

For the rest of you who were interested and took a look at this thread: I did break down and call Princess. I was surprised to hear the girl tell me immediately that "yes, it will be open all night and you can leave anytime" without putting me on hold. I even asked her if she was sure and she emphatically said yes.

So, I'm going to risk it and book that 6:00am or 7:00am flight. Yes, I know that we will be schlepping our own luggage off (we've done it several times before). I do figure that if for some reason, I'm told on the ship that we can't leave in the wee hours of the morning that we could disembark the first day and find a hotel.

Thanks,

Tammy

Maam your quite welcome.

Any question is a good one . Otherwise it would not be asked.

:cool:

Well, Thanks for the info.

For the rest of you who were interested and took a look at this thread: I did break down and call Princess. I was surprised to hear the girl tell me immediately that "yes, it will be open all night and you can leave anytime" without putting me on hold. I even asked her if she was sure and she emphatically said yes.

So, I'm going to risk it and book that 6:00am or 7:00am flight. Yes, I know that we will be schlepping our own luggage off (we've done it several times before). I do figure that if for some reason, I'm told on the ship that we can't leave in the wee hours of the morning that we could disembark the first day and find a hotel.

Thanks,

Tammy

Maam or is it Mister? You dont even have anything in your profile? Are you hiding something?

I hope you speak American English well as I see your not able to read .

With Divers shown they do provide another area of security most cruisers do not know of and/or see.

I never said anything about any Captain watching the Weather. But thye do well some do more than others. A NCL ship was coming back fast to NYC for a Phenominal PayDay but the Captain went right into the Hurricane and was late ..days late coming back and never got his Million Dollars $USD.

I guess you (me thinks) thinks too much eh.. a little skewed or are you stewed?

:rolleyes:

boy, I have no idea how divers have anything to do with getting off the ship early in Quebec...or the Captain watching the weather.......

me thinks you had too much PRIME tonight:p .....or watched the NYSE too much today

Maam or is it Mister? You dont even have anything in your profile? Are you hiding something?

I hope you speak American English well as I see your not able to read .

I guess you (me thinks) thinks too much eh.. a little skewed or are you stewed?

:rolleyes:

Apparently someone is stewed, but I don't think its Chrysalis. ;)

And making comments about someones reading skills when your post is just slightly more comprehensible than gibberish?? Good one.

MD

• 4 weeks later...

What hasn't been answered wrt the OP's questions is how customs/immigration is handled. On the day of arrival, on the ship? As people get off for the first time (very awkward, and what about luggage checking)? Can't be on the last day, 'cos pretty much everybody will have already been ashore the first day. I'm guessing first day on board, but does anybody know for sure?

SF

Steakfrites,

Before I actually booked my flights, I decided to call Princess back one more time. I spoke to a person who put me on hold, then came back and told me the earliest flights I could book would be at 8:00am. Where she came up with that time, I'm not sure. In the end, I booked an afternoon flight. Not sure about the rest of it, but we will have time to deal with it regardless.

Tammy

Here is some information for you regarding Quebec City. Taxi fare from the airport to Quebec City is a flat rate of $30: http://www.telegraphe.com/transports/indexen.html

This is the tourism website for Quebec City: http://www.quebecregion.com/

If you plan to fly in the night before I suggest Hotel 71 (http://www.hotel71.ca/). I know you can get cheaper hotels near the airport but this hotel is beautiful ... ask for a room with a view of the river. It is located right in the center of Old Quebec in the Lower Town. You can walk everywhere ... even the cruise ship port.

I hope you enjoy Quebec ... it is a beautiful city with great restaurants, interesting sights and unique shopping.

Archived