Requirements to enter Hungary, Slovak Republic and Czech Republic

nomo825

Requirements to enter Hungary, Slovak Republic and Czech Republic.

I have my passport but per the US State Department web site it says I need proof of health insurance and proof of sufficient funds to enter all or some of these countries. Can anyone out there tell me just what they need to serve as proof for these things?

I am visiting these places on a Danube River Cruise and the company thru which we booked told us that is is our responsibility to find out what documents we need and to make sure we have them.

I am sailing on the MS Bolero and fly to Hungary October 10th.

Thank you.

:) nomo825

Requirements to enter Hungary, Slovak Republic and Czech Republic.

I have my passport but per the US State Department web site it says I need proof of health insurance and proof of sufficient funds to enter all or some of these countries. Can anyone out there tell me just what they need to serve as proof for these things?

:) nomo825

I am guessing they want to see proof of medical insurance from your travel insurance or state medical insurance card...

in one case they want to be sure you have coverage for $35,000.

You could always call their consulate for clarification.

Medical insurance coverage as previously posted. Either your travel insurance or your personal insurance THAT COVERS OUT OF THE USA (no Medicare cards).

Your itinerary on your cruise is proof of sufficient funds. Or an onward plane ticket. Those countries are all Eastern Bloc, former Soviet countries. They are having a hard time making ends meet. They do NOT need any additional people in their country that could not support themselves. You will usually only be asked for these things if you are very young and have a ratty looking backpack.

I agree with greatam. I know these requirements are mostly for those younger folks who backpack through the area. Never had to present anything such as proof of insurance, but they did want to see some sort of return ticket, in order to prove you're not going to take up residence. But as for a cruise, they know you're just passing through, so you really don't need all that much proof. Unless you're staying for more than 90 days, US citizens aren't required to have a visa for Hungary, Czech Republic or the Slovak Republic.

I spent 10 days in Hungary in May '06. I was never asked for proof of insurance. They did look at our tickets to make sure we had a return ticket, but other than that, it was no different than flying anywhere else.

Archived