What makes HAL a PREMIUM cruise line?

Orcrone

I read a quote recently attributed to the head of NCL that said that they wanted to have the youngest fleet, meaning newest ships. With that comes HUGE debt. at an average $500M per ship, and RCCL is spending around $800M on each of the Freedom and Liberty ships, the Genesis ships are projected to cost $1.2Billion each. Thats insane.

I was probaly the one and only pax that remained delighted with the old Noordam and towrds the end, she was a classic case of ship happens and it did.

Consumers and Investors love new, bigger and better. It makes their hearts go pitter-patter. Look how many of us HAL Pals have booked the Eurodam Ignaugural sail. Sadly, there is not similar enthusiasm for the Statendam, best in class when built and still a fine ship.

Newer ships have more balconies and suites than older ships. For a tad bit more $$, pax can get a balcony instead of an inside cabin. Newer ships are more economical to sail and are designed to compel more onboard spending which balances that inside and outside cabins are still so inexpensive.

I have no idea when or if the frenzy to have the newest will end. My gut says when NCL cries uncle.

Consumers and Investors love new, bigger and better. It makes their hearts go pitter-patter. Look how many of us HAL Pals have booked the Eurodam Ignaugural sail.

Let me go on record that I'm not sailing the Eurodam Inaugural because the ship is "bigger", and certainly not because I think it "better". Nor am I going because of the itinerary; I've sailed that area before.

I'm going because of the CC members who have booked.

Consumers and Investors love new, bigger and better. It makes their hearts go pitter-patter. Look how many of us HAL Pals have booked the Eurodam Ignaugural sail. Sadly, there is not similar enthusiasm for the Statendam, best in class when built and still a fine ship.

Sad but true. However I'm guilty of this, the only trips we've been on or have booked are on Vistas or Eurodam. But I'd love nothing more than to have a transcanal on Amsterdam, Statendam, Volendam, or Maasdam.

I have no idea when or if the frenzy to have the newest will end. My gut says when NCL cries uncle.

I think you're probably right. The big issue with NCL is they're going to have an entire fleet of ships that is basically going to age at the same rate (and IMHO it doesn't help that they're selling off all the unique, older ships). As an example The NCL Pearl looks like a very hip,modern, well designed ship...but then again, so did brass and lots of mirrors in the '90's. What's going to happen when the current NCL fleet turns 10? Upgrade city, and more $$$.

I think you're probably right. The big issue with NCL is they're going to have an entire fleet of ships that is basically going to age at the same rate (and IMHO it doesn't help that they're selling off all the unique, older ships). As an example The NCL Pearl looks like a very hip,modern, well designed ship...but then again, so did brass and lots of mirrors in the '90's. What's going to happen when the current NCL fleet turns 10? Upgrade city, and more $$$.

Very true

Things get old very fast with the public. The new "big thing" becomes "old hat" in no time. Not just cruising, but all aspects of life. Bigger, better , newer , faster, cooler, younger, prettier, sexier, sleeker, more bells and whistles .

Let me go on record that I'm not sailing the Eurodam Inaugural because the ship is "bigger", and certainly not because I think it "better". Nor am I going because of the itinerary; I've sailed that area before.

I'm going because of the CC members who have booked.

Ditto. (except for the itinerary - never been there before)

I'm going because the last inaugural was such a special occasion, meeting all the great HAL Staff and CC.com folks - that this is a great occassion to meet my friends again.

If the new HAL ship were smaller, I'd be just as excited.

Very true

Things get old very fast with the public. The new "big thing" becomes "old hat" in no time. Not just cruising, but all aspects of life. Bigger, better , newer , faster, cooler, younger, prettier, sexier, sleeker, more bells and whistles .

And yet, the QEII sails full with a waiting list every time....

What wakes Stein Kruse and Micky Arison up sweating is the thought of any of their ships sailing with an empty cabin.

Like a restaurant with great food, it is the additional touches that bumps the rating up to "premium': better silver, crystal, service. The basic stuff is all very similar.

I remember thinking that Maasdam resembled nothing so much as a floating maritime museum. The little touches were impressive. An antique astrolabe here, Capt Cards paintings there...wow, eh?

Cheers

Mark

And yet, the QEII sails full with a waiting list every time....

What wakes Stein Kruse and Micky Arison up sweating is the thought of any of their ships sailing with an empty cabin.

Like a restaurant with great food, it is the additional touches that bumps the rating up to "premium': better silver, crystal, service. The basic stuff is all very similar.

I remember thinking that Maasdam resembled nothing so much as a floating maritime museum. The little touches were impressive. An antique astrolabe here, Capt Cards paintings there...wow, eh?

Cheers

Mark

Now see QE2 is a perfect example of what everyone has been talking about here. Granted they are certainly a luxury line rather than a premium. However for all the years they have been in service they have had a very specific product , love it or leave it. Obviously plenty of people love it.

They never had to lower their standards , relax their dress codes, add gimmicks, and yet , as you mentioned they always sail full.

And after all these years there is still an aura about her. You can talk about a cruise with someone who has never cruised and really doesn't know too much about the various cruise lines and they will be more interested in the ports you visited than if you went on Carnival, HAL, or whatever.

But when you mention the QE2 you get the oooooooohs and Ahhhhhhhhs

I paid about $90 a night for an outside cabin on a 10 day cruise out of Norfolk and a little over $100/night for a balcony on the Zuiderdam during spring break. That's hardly a premium price.

Personally, I say that "premium line" moniker is crap. HAL is a mass market cruise line ... just like Carnival, RCL, NCL, etc. It has certain "features" that make it a favorite among a certain group of people, myself among them. But then ... those other lines have their special features too ... that make it a favorite among their following.

As far as I'm concerned, what makes a line Premium, Luxury or Mass Market is determined by the price and the ammenities. If you have an all suite ship ... with special services offered in the suites to all passengers, then that line might be a premium line and the price will reflect that. If you have an all-inclusive drink policy, some included shore excursions ... open seating dining, no extra tariffs for the specialty restaurants, etc. ... now you've got a luxury cruise line ... and the prices will be even higher to sail her. But then if you've got a line like HAL ... drinks extra, no included shore excursions, no special in-suite ammenities that are included (with the exception of the luxury suites), extra charge for specialty restaurants, fixed seating dining, etc. ... guess what? You have a mass market cruise line where the prices to sail will be very competitive.

HAL is special, yes. But it is special because it includes the things that are important to US on its ships ... fresh flowers everywhere, a wonderful Lido buffet, excellent service personnel, etc. But those features don't make it any better than many other cruise lines sailing today. It's just that HAL has the features WE look for. NCL has some excellent features that appeal to the people loyal to her. It just all depends on what you are looking for.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Now see QE2 is a perfect example of what everyone has been talking about here. Granted they are certainly a luxury line rather than a premium. However for all the years they have been in service they have had a very specific product , love it or leave it. Obviously plenty of people love it.

I just sailed the QE2 last month for the first time. True, it is an amazing ship and I only hope I can one day sail her again. However, I would not call her a luxury line. She is mass market ... just as HAL is mass market. You will be charged if you order a drink, and you will eat in the restaurant that corresponds to the accommodations you book. You will pay for shore excursions and sodas and bottled water ... just as you do on HAL and all other mass market lines. What sets the QE2 apart, however, is that it appeals to a specific niche ... the individual who believes that cruising should continue to be as it was yesteryear ... formal dress in the evenings, a very elegant "afternoon tea" production, quaint little pubs, a generally quiet environment, etc. Those things appeal to a certain segment of the sailing market, and that segment is large enough to keep the ship full sailing after sailing. She is even unique in her own fleet ... and people who love the QE2 won't necessarily enjoy sailing on the QM2.

From what I've been told, you either love the QE2 or you hate her. I fell in love instantly with the ship, while my cabinmate was less enthusiastic. While I did not at all care for the formality onboard, I loved just about everything else ... the elegant service and "flexible" dining times in the Caronia Dining Room, the classic "British" type service, the large open spaces to relax in aboard the ship, the smoker-friendly environment I found there. Our cabin, too, was interesting. My cabin mate likened it to a "Motel 6," while I saw its redeeming features. True, it was very plain ... only one cheap print hanging on the wall, the carpet well worn, well-used mattresses, etc. But I saw its other qualities ... the separate sitting and dressing area toward the rear, the tons of closet space ... far more than we had on the Veendam for a longer sailing ... the small porthole instead of a window, extra power receptacles (more than the one you get on HAL), etc. One must remember, the QE2 is a very old ship ... and as such, she won't have all the modern accents that the new ones have. Cabins even in the same category can be vastly different, both in size and layout. Even the toilet system is old ... not the vacuum system most of us cruisers are used to. You flush the toilets on the QE2 with a handle, just as you do at home.

I fell in love with the old lady, and can even understand the formal nights, now that I know that they are only so plentiful on crossings. On a regular sailing, you will get your share of elegant casual nights too.

So, I wouldn't call the QE2 a premium ship. It's mass market just like the rest of the ships in Carnival's various fleets. But what I would consider the QE2 to be is a most unique ship ... unique even to the Cunard brand ... that appeals to a very, very loyal following. And it is that following that keeps it sailing full year after year.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Hammy--

I agree with you on certain aspects re: Prinsendam and exotic/longer itineraries...

However, I don't buy the excuse that HAL by necessity has to "compete" with RCCL, NCL and Carnival on the commoditized Caribbean/Mexico/Alaska itineraries - that's just plain foolishness on the part of HAL management.

HAL could maintain higher ticket prices in these markets in 3 ways:

1. Offer longer and/or more exotic itineraries in the 3 "Commoditized" markets. There's no need for 8 ships in Alaska doing their own version of the same two 7-day itineraries, or 4 ships doing the 7-day Florida-to-Caribbean grind with the obligatory stop at St Thomas. Offer more 10-12 day itineraries, hit off-the-beaten-path ports such as Monterey California, St Barts, Aruba, Haines Alaska - and establish more unusual ports of embarcation (San Francisco, New Orleans, San Juan...) to differentiate yourself from the mass-market.

2. Stop competing with Carnival - Direct competition with a mass-market corporate cousin is lunacy. Offer a premium product in every aspect, do it to the best of your ability, market yourself to your premium customer, and price yourself appropriately. The Oasis/Loft aspect of the SOE for the S and R-Class ships is widely regarded as a flop and a waste of Millions of dollars in an effort to gain the mainstream family market - those dollars could have been used elsewhere to enhance the Premium aspects of the line.

3. If your company is having trouble maintaining ticket prices and profitability - Stop adding capacity. There are fewer Hyatts than there are Travelodges for a very good reason: the premium market is, by it's very nature, smaller than the budget market. CCL should have probably have stopped ordering new ships for HAL after Noordam if not Oosterdam - and waited for premium-priced demand to catch up to capacity.

Good Post.

I don't think Hal has to compete either.

There is too much of "do what everyone else does". Hal should be unique and not a follower.

As far as I'm concerned, what makes a line Premium, Luxury or Mass Market is determined by the price and the ammenities. If you have an all suite ship ... with special services offered in the suites to all passengers, then that line might be a premium line and the price will reflect that. If you have an all-inclusive drink policy, some included shore excursions ... open seating dining, no extra tariffs for the specialty restaurants, etc. ... now you've got a luxury cruise line ... and the prices will be even higher to sail her. But then if you've got a line like HAL ... drinks extra, no included shore excursions, no special in-suite ammenities that are included (with the exception of the luxury suites), extra charge for specialty restaurants, fixed seating dining, etc. ... guess what? You have a mass market cruise line where the prices to sail will be very competitive.

By your definition, Crystal would not even be a premium line and they are actually "luxury", a step above premium. The cabins are not all suites, even though the price is significantly higher to cruise with them. Smaller ships, excellent food and service and much higher staff to passenger ratios, as well as formal atmosphere are their differentiators.

Oceania has smaller cabins as well and few inclusions and they are most definitely in the premium category. Their food as well as their service levels are what differentiate them, as well as having smaller ships and not appealing to the masses.

I have sailed many of the mass market lines. IMO, there is quite a difference between those on the bottom (CCL, NCL) and HAL and X, which are considered "premium" by the industry.

Personally, I say that "premium line" moniker is crap. HAL is a mass market cruise line ... just like Carnival, RCL, NCL, etc. It has certain "features" that make it a favorite among a certain group of people, myself among them. But then ... those other lines have their special features too ... that make it a favorite among their following.

HAL is special, yes. But it is special because it includes the things that are important to US on its ships ... fresh flowers everywhere, a wonderful Lido buffet, excellent service personnel, etc. But those features don't make it any better than many other cruise lines sailing today. It's just that HAL has the features WE look for. NCL has some excellent features that appeal to the people loyal to her. It just all depends on what you are looking for.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita,

I've been thinking the same thing.

Some things mentioned in this thread, such as more space per passenger, I consider premium. There is a certain cost per square foot to build a cruise ship and putting fewer people in the spaace I do consider premium.

However, many of the other things mentioned; fresh flowers, teak decking I consider money spent to attract a particular demographic. Just as I would not consider RCI premium because they provide rock-climbing walls, ice-skating rinks, etc. I just think of those items as amenities used to attract their particular demographic.

I guess my definition of premium or luxury would have them including more services, providing a higher staff to guest ratio, etc. for a higher price. JMHO

Maybe the terms premium and luxury are relative:

A pax in a deluxe suite pays multiples of what someone in an inside pays and their experiences should be very different and superior to the masses. ( Am I the only one who wants to scream when I read the occasional thread that says the NL should be open to all pax or that it's not fair that suite pax have priority? And I usually sail the cheap seats.)

Sails on the Prinsendam, based upon almost all reports , seem to be a premium to all other HAL ships.

Sailing all or a part of the World Cruise, regardless of ship, seems to be a very different and a premium experience than a 7 day sail, in the Carribbean.

And lastly, as reported on another thread, a couple with a farm, who scrimped and saved forever, to sail a 7 day cruise in Alaska, might perceive the entire experience to be over the top, luxurious.

Perspective matters.

I can't realy define "Premium", but I know I get a premium felling on HAl. I have sailed RCI, CC, NCL, and Princes also. HAl had the best serice over all. Only NCL back in 1980 came close.

If not just the place its the people on HAL.:)

[quote name='caviargal']

I have sailed many of the mass market lines. IMO, there is quite a difference between those on the bottom (CCL, NCL) and HAL and X, which are considered "premium" by the industry.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this and would throw RCL and COSTA in with CCL and NCL.
I also know that no two sails are alike on any cruise line or ship. Things can be off on a Crystal or Regent sail while CCL pulls a rabbit ( and a ship on a stick :) ) out of their hat, and shines.

When reading threads on other boards, we develop perceptions of other cruise lines. Some loyal pax on Regent are deeply offended that Regent promotes a kids sail free gimick to fill their cabins. Many loyal Crystal pax are up in arms about groups and Crystal's self promotion to groups. Loyal Seaborn pax are dissappointed in reduced service levels.

And maybe in the end, cruising will not be the best choice of vacation for some. The uncertainties of those many things beyond the control of a cruise line, weather, seas, virus outbreaks, code reds and occasional mechanical malfunctions along with the need to fill cabins by charter or groups, inconsistenties and all that this implies will be too much for some pax, over time.

Cruising is, like any business, an evolving business model and we have front row seats.

Hammybee - Just had thank you for a moment of nostalgia and say I'm really glad to hear someone else enjoyed the old Noordam and misses her as much as we do. She filled a real niche with her longer, bargain priced itineraries and we spent many great days on her.

Like you, we've also tried many of the other "mass marketed" cruise lines and have sailed on Princess almost as much as on HAL - got shafted there too when our favourite, the old Royal Princess, went the way of Noordam for the same reasons.

Although we sailed on Prinsendam when it was Seabourn Sun, we felt it just didn't have the character of Noordam and Royal Princess. Thought we had finally found a home on Wind Surf - really loved the small size, itineraries that included less visited European ports not overpopulated with the large cruiseships and especially the feeling of being on a ship (again like Noordam and RP) -> cruise line was recently sold and effects/changes remain to be seen.

I know you can't turn back the clock - but at least the memories remain. Thanks again.

Hal needs some more diverse ports from the US. I want to take a 10 day Panama Canal cruise but the only one offered by Hal is boring to me since I have been to Aruba and Costa Rica...the roundtrips from Boston are the same all summer. Why not an exotic trip to Greenland or Iceland during the summer?

The same goes from San Diego. The 7 day seems to be the same itinerary. Rountrip from Tampa seems the same same too.

[quote name='hammybee']Maybe the terms premium and luxury are relative:
[/quote]

Reminds me of the line Walter Matthau says in Out to Sea, "deluxe can mean several different things, for example, in a diner, deluxe means comes with french fries....."

[quote name='fcorey']Reminds me of the line Walter Matthau says in Out to Sea, "deluxe can mean several different things, for example, in a diner, deluxe means comes with french fries....."[/QUOTE]

Good analogy. Perhaps the lettuce and tomato are extra.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Orcrone']In a number of threads, mainly ones discussing how HAL deals with problems, I keep hearing HAL referred to as a 'premium' cruise line. Now I don't have a lot of experience. [/quote]

Just got off the Noordam today in Seattle from 7 day Alaska. I had read this thread prior to leaving and was pondering what makes it a "premium" cruise line. This was my 5th Cruise but first HAL (NCL, RCCL). I am by no means a HAL loyalist, so I consider this an objective post. The Noordam is the newest of the HAL fleet, so many of the things I was impressed with have to do with its newness as well as the HAL effect. I cant really compare to Carnival, RCL, or Princess, since I have never been.

There should be no question to anyone on the Noordam that it is a premium cruise line. It is head and shoulders above NCL in most respects. The better question is whether the cost/benefit of the higher cruise fare is worth it. Since this is a subjective question, I think we can only come to our own conclusions on whether the higher fare for HAL is worth it.

Ship: HAL spent $30m in additions to the $400m Noordam. This includes everything from the furnishings to the $500,000 crystal chandelier in the atrium. There are no plastic chairs or cheap furniture in the lounges or sitting areas. All furniture is usually wood and leather. There are many other details in the furnishings, but I am not really good at describing them.

Food: I found the main dining (Vista) room food to be very good. What was more impressive was the Lido buffet. This isn’t your back of the boat hamburger and hot dog line that I am used to from NCL. Many items are made fresh to order in front of your eyes. This includes omelets, fried eggs, sandwiches and grille Panini’s and pasta. There is also an Asian buffet with sushi, a dessert area, and a large salad bar.

BEDS: very comfortable.

The stewards also take your tray to your table, refill your coffee/drinks, and will go get you more food if you ask. The Lido dining room is very nicely furnished and does not have the cafeteria feel like NCL ships do.

Service: The level of service was noticeably superior to NCL. Either by remembering our names, getting our coffee at the Lido, helping with our child and stroller on the gangway, vacuuming and replacing sheets in room everyday, and always with a very pleasant and cordial disposition. There seemed to be many more crew members, which is consistent with the higher crew to passenger ratio.

I was hoping NOT to find the week long infomercial on how to best waste or spend your money that I get from NCL. It seems as though they try very hard to make up for the low fare by forcing you to spend money. I was disappointed that HAL does this too, although less aggressively. The only ship announcement's regarding these types of activities was on Day 6.

All and all, our HAL cruise was what we expected and did hit their mark of being a cut above what we were used to. But unlike other HAL loyalists, I still think NCL is a decent bargain. Even the cruise consultant from HAL observed that of all of the major lines, you will get your money's worth and they are all decent.

Like choosing a hotel, I wouldn’t go to a Holiday Inn and expect the same level of service as a Hyatt. That is really the best analogy I can give. I would rate HAL as an 8 and 9 (out of 10), and NCL a 7. So if I get a great deal from any of the major cruise lines, I will take it. As long as you know what to expect, you shouldn’t be disappointed.

If I think of more bullet points, I will post them.

Many good points on what makes a line Premium vs Luxury vs regular. I too believe HAL and X can be considered Premium vis a vis NCL, etc. While I have not sailed with CCL I think the proof that there is a difference between CCL and HAL is that they are both owned by Carnival. [B]And the owner says there is a difference; with HAL being Premium.[/B] I think that should settle it. Individual cruises and personal experiences will certainly differ, however on average HAL is a cut above CCL.

[quote name='Orcrone']However, many of the other things mentioned; fresh flowers, teak decking I consider money spent to attract a particular demographic. Just as I would not consider RCI premium because they provide rock-climbing walls, ice-skating rinks, etc. I just think of those items as amenities used to attract their particular demographic.

I guess my definition of premium or luxury would have them including more services, providing a higher staff to guest ratio, etc. for a higher price. JMHO[/QUOTE]
I agree. If more is included in the fare ... if the accommodations are top of the line ... if drinks are included ... if staff to guest ratios are lower ... space to guest ratios are lower ... etc., etc. ... then you have a premium line and you will pay significantly more to sail it. HAL and RCL and even NCL, at least to me, are mass market lines. I would consider RCL to be just as good as HAL since they appeal to their own niche ... active adults and children. Maybe they don't focus on things like fresh flowers onboard or a higher standard of food in the restaurants, but that's probably because their niche market doesn't place an emphasis on those things. Their niche market sails RCL specifically for the ammenities they do have onboard ... the rock climbing wall, wave runner, ice skating rink, etc. We sail HAL for the special things they have onboard ... the flowers, the elegant dining room, the food, etc.

In a nutshell, to me premium, luxury and mass market is determined pretty much by price ... because price will determine who can sail a line. Regent would be a luxury line because you're gonna pay an arm and a leg to sail it ... but you're gonna get a whole lot more onboard than you'll ever get on HAL or NCL or RCL ... or any of the other "mass market" lines.

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='tomcanuck']I think the proof that there is a difference between CCL and HAL is that they are both owned by Carnival. [B]And the owner says there is a difference; with HAL being Premium.[/B] I think that should settle it. Individual cruises and personal experiences will certainly differ, however on average HAL is a cut above CCL.[/QUOTE]
Then how come a seven-day HAL cruise ... in many cases ... is CHEAPER than a seven-day cruise on CCL?

Blue skies ...

--rita

[quote name='hammybee']Although you may be newer than some, you consistently prove yourself to be an astute observer of the details that make a difference, for so many.

Here is my humble contribution to your list:

The take-home tile as a rememberance of the cruise vacation, and
Express Disembarkation, if desired[/QUOTE]

This first cruise newby just returned from the 5/19 Oosterdam sailing.

Uh, what take-home tile?

If there was a Moose something, we missed it entirely. The chef's dinner (I assume this is the one with the filet, lobster and baked Alaska) involved parading servers and introduction of some of the chefs, some sort of music and lots of clapping, but no farewell song. However, at the Debarkation lecture in the Vista Lounge on Friday a large crew contingent, entertainers, etc. were present and all, including Captain Mercer and Mr. Deering, smiled, sang and swayed to what was probably the song to which you are referring. In that setting it was kind of fun.

Bowls of fruit in the cabin is somewhat a misnomer. They have a small metal basket on the desk, and ask you what you would like your cabin steward to put in it, who then brings one of each fruit you indicate. As fruit was eaten, an additional piece was brought. It was just as easy, for us anyway, to bring down fruit from the Lido where we could pick our own.

For some reason I had expected flowers in the cabins, however having the live flowers in the rest of the ship was marvelous. If any were silk, I couldn't tell the difference.

Express Departure - $20 per person if you meet certain criteria. Suitcases set out by 1am are not seen again until you arrive at your home airport. The cruise line checks-in with the airline for you then delivers both pre-printed boarding passes on 8x11-1/2 paper and pre-printed and barcoded luggage tags to your room the night before. Depending on how you get to SEA from ship would be a consideration as to whether you want to go to that expense. As far as I could tell Express Departure doesn't get you debarked any faster (not an issue for us in the first place), though you don't have to spend a couple of minutes searching for your bags in the terminal, and you don't have to carry or pull them 50 feet to your taxi, bus, etc. The one concern I had was with our e-tickets. Having never used them before I wasn't sure of the protocol once we got to SEA. Should not have worried. When I called down to ask what we needed to do at the airport, we were instructed to check in at the ticket counter - actually unnecessary. We could have gone directly to the gate. However, there wasn't a line and in fact the counter agent had already started printing boarding passes when I showed her the pre-printed ones we already. This turned out to be good, however, as our early arrival and leisurely lunch at airport for a later flight still got us to the gate as the earlier flight was about to close their doors. I impulsively asked about stand-by, figuring it was way too late by then. The ticket agent said our luggage would be on the later flight. I knew that. She asked, "Where's your boarding passes?" I gave her the new ones. She handed us new boarding passes, walked us to the plane door, and we were pulling away from the gate 2 or 3 minutes later. Even had aisle seats! The real advantage to Express Departure was that we didn't have to drag suitcases a couple of blocks blocks to the terminal from where the transfer and tour buses drop off passengers - pretty irritating actually, nor an additional 2 blocks making our way to the American check-in counter. However, had we had our luggage in tow, we had plenty of time to have taken stand-by and had them loaded on the earlier flight with us. Instead, they came on our originally scheduled flight, but I waited until Sunday morning to go pick them up. It helps to live within 20 minutes of DFW.

Archived