Can dining room meals be made to go?

bamakathy

It never hurts to try to order from the dinner menu through room service at the time dinner is being served, or to try to order from the dining room menu during the time breakfast is being served. The experience of my wife and myself is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Depends on who answers the phone.

[

The few I've seen reported here were because they said someone was too ill to go to the dining room. Really? If they're that ill, how can they possibly eat all that rich food?:D I've just never understood that one.

You can still have an appetite, even if you're too sick to leave your room. On my last cruise, I came down with influenza/pneumonia. I was very sick; so much so I could barely walk the length of the cabin without feeling like I was going to pass out. No loss of appetite, though, as I had no stomach ailment.

My family still went to dinner every night without me, and when they asked if they could bring me food from the dining room, they were told, "No." Then, on the second formal night, the waiter took pity on me, I guess, and gave my husband two covered bowls of the yummy cheddar broccoli soup for me.

So, I guess the answer is that they don't normally let you take food from the dining room, but on that one night they made an exception for me.

And it IS possible to still have a normal appetite when you're too sick to leave the room.

Not to steer you toward another cruise line, but it sounds like Royal Caribbean might be more suited for you. They have a MUCH MORE extensive room service menu, and at night, in addition to the menu, you can get pretty much anything from the dining room delivered to your room. Just a thought. Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

we went to diner one night and right after we ordered my little one fell asleep BIG TIME.......so I carried him back to the cabin.........after my family finished up their meals the waiter boxed up a fillet for me (with an extra one) so I wouldn't miss out. My wife brought it to me in the cabin.

This is what happened with us...right after we ordered, my son said he wasn't feeling well and needed to go back to the cabin. The first time my husband asked, the waiter said he couldn't take one back...but then at the end of the meal, he came to the table with what I ordered, covered and ready to take back to the room (he was being silly and said "ssshhh, I'll turn my head and not see you going out with it").

The only other time I had seen it was last October when we had a possible man overboard situation and everyone had to go back to their cabins. The late seating diners were carrying their deserts (one s, two s???) back to their cabins.

I can also attest to getting "take out" from the dining room, albeit a few years ago. On my first cruise, DW was not feeling well. I went to the dining room at the tail end of the first seating, explained the situation to our headwaiter and he came back rather quickly with two covered dishes, one even prepared to my wife's exacting preferences.

I think all policies (such as no take-out) take a back seat to pleasing the passenger whenever possible.

I think all policies (such as no take-out) take a back seat to pleasing the passenger whenever possible.

I agree, but you're talking about one night due to illness, as are most of the other people that have had exceptions. The OP just doesn't want to socialize with others and wants to get take out all week. I personally think this is sad, and I feel bad for the OP. I know, to each his/her own, but I just find this sad. To me, half the fun of cruising is meeting other people.

Not to steer you toward another cruise line, but it sounds like Royal Caribbean might be more suited for you. They have a MUCH MORE extensive room service menu, and at night, in addition to the menu, you can get pretty much anything from the dining room delivered to your room. Just a thought. Enjoy your cruise, whatever you decide.

I think that sounds so neat! I'm not really into RCI's inflated prices and activities (ice rink, rock wall, whatnot), but getting hot food from the dining room menu from room service is enough to make one want to try RCI!

Archived