Can dining room meals be made to go?

bamakathy

I wanted to take a cruise to get away from everything (and everyone!) for awhile. I enjoy spending some time alone, and walking the deck, watching the ocean, lying in the sun. I don't really want to have to talk to anyone on the cruise, but just have that solitary time. I wondered if it's possible to get the dining room meals to go, and take them back to the room to eat? Or do you have to eat them there in the dining room? That would be the only uncomfortable place for me to be, I think. C'mon introverts, give me your ideas.

You can't get dining room meals to go, but the Lido deck buffet has trays. You can get your meal and carry it to your room, or just sit at a table by yourself.

And room service is available. The menu is rather limited, but it works.

I wanted to take a cruise to get away from everything (and everyone!) for awhile. I enjoy spending some time alone, and walking the deck, watching the ocean, lying in the sun. I don't really want to have to talk to anyone on the cruise, but just have that solitary time. I wondered if it's possible to get the dining room meals to go, and take them back to the room to eat? Or do you have to eat them there in the dining room? That would be the only uncomfortable place for me to be, I think. C'mon introverts, give me your ideas.

As mentioned, just go to the buffet or order a sandwich from room service. You can also get pizza to go, or anything from the deli... or a burger, hot dog, etc. There isn't a take out stand in the dining room though ;)

If you truly want to be alone - request a table for two and then check as soon as you get on board that you are at a table for two and alone.

I would not miss the food in the dinning room. It is much butter than the buffet on certain nights.

DH and I sailed on the Holland America Zuiderdam in December and you could order the same food served in the dining room if you placed your room service order during the first 30 minutes after the dining room opened. You need to look at that evening's menu so you know what to order -- don't expect them to tell you everything on the menu. We tried it one night and enjoyed eating dinner out on our balcony. I don't know if Carnival offers the same service or not.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

DH and I sailed on the Holland America Zuiderdam in December and you could order the same food served in the dining room if you placed your room service order during the first 30 minutes after the dining room opened. You need to look at that evening's menu so you know what to order -- don't expect them to tell you everything on the menu. We tried it one night and enjoyed eating dinner out on our balcony. I don't know if Carnival offers the same service or not.

Carnival - 1995, 1998, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007

Holland America - 2004, 2006

NCL - 1994, 1996, 1997, 2003

Royal Caribbean - 2002

No, Carnival doesn't offer the same service....

FYI, you can put your cruise history in your signature so you don't have to type it out every time... :)

I don't think they do "take out" from the dining room. The alternative dining venues are designed for those who don't want to go to the dining room. I did, however, get lunch to go once. DH was sick in the cabin (long story) and they were serving the steak salad, my favorite lunch entree. I ran the one flight up the stairs to the dining room and explained my predicament. The hostess had a waiter bring it down to the room. (Our room was by the stairs one floor down). That was one hostess that definately got a tip at the end of the cruise.

I was going to say the same thing...on board the Oosterdam, in April, my DH didn't want to go to the dining room (one evening) but he wanted their menu.

I actually went to the dining room (immediatly after it opened) spoke with the Matre D' and he had the food we wanted sent to our cabin.:p

I don't think they do "take out" from the dining room. The alternative dining venues are designed for those who don't want to go to the dining room. I did, however, get lunch to go once. DH was sick in the cabin (long story) and they were serving the steak salad, my favorite lunch entree. I ran the one flight up the stairs to the dining room and explained my predicament. The hostess had a waiter bring it down to the room. (Our room was by the stairs one floor down). That was one hostess that definately got a tip at the end of the cruise.

That I can see and have heard of them doing before.. the dining room isn't very busy at all during lunch, so I can see them being accomodating then...

You can't get dining room meals to go, but the Lido deck buffet has trays. You can get your meal and carry it to your room, or just sit at a table by yourself.

And room service is available. The menu is rather limited, but it works.

Not all ships have trays.

As other posters have stated Carnival does not offer the same service.

However on the night of the Grand Gala Buffett one of the dining rooms at midnight they will ask you if you'd like to take your tray to go & they will cover it for you & give you your silverware to take to your room. However this is no way the same as dining every night in the dining room as there are mostly fruits, meats, cold salads & dessert on the grand gala buffett.

I can say that mostly when we went on our cruise this time it being our anniversary we really didn't care whether we talked to anyone or not, but as it turned out our 4 tablemates winded up being some of the greatest people we ever met in our lives. We winded up spending time with them after dinner dancing, going to the Pirate Party, one of the shows together & one of the late night comedy shows together & we had an absolute ball together. So much in fact that we are planning a reunion next year & have exchanged emails & phone numbers. We all can't begin to say how much we'd like to thank Carnival & the Inspiration for setting us up together with these great people.

My point is try dinner one night & maybe you'll meet someone else like you & have a better time chatting then you expect. If you don't care for it, don't go back. Remember your only there a few hours.....or less. I know we were the last people out every nite, so that was over 2 hours...but generally you are talking an hour to hour & a half a day of spending time chit chatting.

Here's a picture link if you want to see us with our new friends from our table & lots of pics of the Grand Gala Buffett!

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558978754BHlYgi

Good luck!

Be blessed, be a blessing! :p

If you truly want to be alone - request a table for two and then check as soon as you get on board that you are at a table for two and alone.

I would not miss the food in the dinning room. It is much butter than the buffet on certain nights.

I agree that the dining room food is much better than the buffet, but I'd say it is better on all nights. The buffet food is either lesser quality or leftovers from the dinner the night before.

I don't think OP would have much luck getting the maitre'D to give her a table for 2. First of all, on some ships they don't even have tables for 2. And on the ones that do, there are so many honeymooning and anniversary couples that ask for these. I'd find it hard to believe that the maitre'D would not give a 2 top table to a honeymooning couple instead of giving it to a solo traveler who just "vants to be alone".

On the Imagination last week, they even had signs in the dining room stating that food is not to be removed from the DR.

Like others stated, you can get buffet food to go. The table for 2 thing is a good idea.

Interesting, on the Inspiration I was watching people walking out with boxed desserts.

Last year on the Miracle, I got sick and was quarantined to my cabin for 1 day (had a blast too :(). It just happened to be the 1st formal night when they served lobster. I forced my wife to go to dinner with the couple we went on the cruise with. They told our waiter what had happened and asked if they could bring back a dinner for me. He came back to the table with a lobster dinner and a prime rib dinner in cartons for me. Don't know if they made an exception since I was quarantined, but they did allow it then.

It sounds like they make exceptions in more "extreme" circumstances, like illness/quarantine, not just because somebody wants to be alone.

OP, I agree with cruiselubbers. Try going to the DR the first night; you might like it! You do have the rest of the cruise to be alone, so that's what, 22.5 hours out of 24 to yourself:) ?

I've heard of very few who were able to get take-outs from the dining room. It's far too busy to impose on the waiters, IMO. They have enough 'on their plates' w/o someone asking for take-outs. :)

The few I've seen reported here were because they said someone was too ill to go to the dining room. Really? If they're that ill, how can they possibly eat all that rich food?:D I've just never understood that one.

The one time I was too ill to go to the dining room (unfortunately, it was on the night I would have had lobster/prime rib).....my cabin steward was such a sweetie and went to the kitchen and brought me a tray of crackers, chicken broth, and iced tea. I couldn't imagine eating anything other than something like that.

we went to diner one night and right after we ordered my little one fell asleep BIG TIME.......so I carried him back to the cabin.........after my family finished up their meals the waiter boxed up a fillet for me (with an extra one) so I wouldn't miss out. My wife brought it to me in the cabin.

May not be true on all ships but I noticed on the last cruise that the Lido deck buffet had at least one entree from the main dinning room menu that night. (I never noticed that they had "leftovers" from the previous night.)

Since we had late sitting, I would see what the entree's were for the evening and then see which one they would have on the buffet. Of course, I would sample to see if this was what I would select at the dinner.

It's not obvious leftovers as in the exact same entree from dinner the night before showing up at the buffet. But I do remember noticing things like something along the lines of if there was a fish the night before, then there would be some kind of fish chowder the next day. It seems like they used the leftovers as ingredients in some other similar offerring. Not sure if it's really true or not, but I imagine the leftover food goes somewhere, and they wouldn't want to waste it.

I think it depends on your relationship w/ your server. 3 years ago on the Glory our server Mario really hit it off w/ our group and also figured out by the 4th night that our 20 year old son was getting a bit tired of the formal dinner scene..so from that night on he had 3-4 entrees boxed up for him to take back to his room (he's a big eater..lol)...so it can and does happen.

Now, if we all requested to-go service I would think that would be a different situation and would be denied.

It's not obvious leftovers as in the exact same entree from dinner the night before showing up at the buffet. But I do remember noticing things like something along the lines of if there was a fish the night before, then there would be some kind of fish chowder the next day. It seems like they used the leftovers as ingredients in some other similar offerring. Not sure if it's really true or not, but I imagine the leftover food goes somewhere, and they wouldn't want to waste it.

you figured out the restaurant and supermarket secret!

(Also the secret of home-cooks...an art that has all about vanished from our lives)

i'm just curious if you are serious. i really can't tell. if you are, i feel sad for you. not to speak to anyone the entire time you are cruising? maybe i can't understand b/c i'm such a "chatty cathy."

enjoying alone time, w/ relaxing peace and quiet is one thing, but i never figured one who was reclusive to pick cruising w/ 3,000 other people as their vacation of choice.

if you are serious w/ your comment, i really do hope that you have an enjoyable time. if you are not serious? well, then ya "got me" (and a couple of others, too) w/ this post!:)

Archived