Ideas for Surviving Long Flight To Venice

Ok all, I need ideas on how to survive the long Delta flight to Venice while seated in the "sardine can" section (ie: coach cabin) of a Delta Airlines Jet.

Delta wanted 250,000 ff miles to do Business Class and of course we don't have anywhere near that kind of miles. And we sure weren't going to make the regular Business Class fare on a teacher's salary and still have funds leftover for our cruise.

Soooo, I need ideas on what to do, and/or take with us to make this more comfortable.

The only idea I have so far is that I've asked my mother, who volunteers in a hospital, to get us some of those socks that they put on your feet when you go to surgery. The ones with the no-skid bottoms. (My feet always freeze on the plane.)

Any and all suggestions are welcome!!

Thanks!

Make sure you get one of those comfy neck pillows to bring for your flight. I have an inflatable kind that is very easy to take along on flights. Watch the movie they show and then put on your cozy socks, cover your self with an extra coat or blanket, put in ear plugs, take a couple over-the-counter sleeping pills (or whatever kind works best for you) and catch a few hours snooze!

Wear the most comfortable thing you can and still feel you look OK; e.g. knit pantsuit (aka nice dressy jogging suit) with comfortable top. Forego the bra and wear one of those soft form fitting camisoles instead preferably with a good blend of cotton/synthetic material. Take off your shoes and put in overhead bin and put on the sock/slippers. (The ones from the hospital are really thin so go seek out some thicker ones at Target or Walmart).

Buy a lightweight neck cushion and eye mask so you can get comfortable and perhaps get some sleep on the flight. I always take some Blue Oil (it is great for jet leg) and dab it on my wrists throughout the flight. Take a facecloth in a plastic zip bag; it is wonderful to wash your face with a nice cloth through the flight; helps keep your skin hydrated.

Keep thinking of the great cruise ahead of you.

:)

It is a very soothing and refreshing lotion. I have never tried it for jet lag, but I have heard that this mixture of camomile, menthol and peppermint is purported to invigorate and ease tension which should help with the effects of jet lag. Here is a link to one source for it: http://www.aveda.com/templates/products/sp.tmpl?ngextredir=1&CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY10699&PRODUCT_ID=PROD5911

Mylisa,

You'll be fine! Though it sounds like a long trip, it's really just 8 hrs or so on the plane. By the time you eat dinner, watch a movie, get a little sleep, eat breakfast...it's over. Just dress comfortably and do what you need to do to try and get some sleep. Sleeping pills, bose headphones, pillow...whatever. It's worth it when you get there!

Lynne

Getting some sleep makes all the difference. Skip the movie. Eat a light dinner, take something to help you sleep, and conk out. Your body will thank you when you arrive.

I've tried various sleep pillows but the ones they give out on the plane work just as well for me. Some of the others leave me with a neck ache. I usually bring my own lightweight wool shawl that doubles as a blanket.

Avoiding caffeine and alcohol is also helpful.

Wear shoes that are roomy or you may be in for a surprise when you try to put them back on and your feet have swollen.

It's really not that long!

I agree with the skipping the movie. I also agree with the eye shades, ear plugs and pillows. Avoiding caffeine (especially) and alcohol help as well. I no caffeine/alcohol parts.

As far as other drugs go, I avoid them. I just try and find flights that are compatible with sleep.

The pressure socks are a good idea. I bought some at the drug store and they helped. Be sure to bring some kind of slip on shoes or slippers to wear to the bathroom. I know this is gross but I couldn't cram my swollen feet back in my shoes so I went in just stocking feet and came out with WET feet. I don't even want to think of what was on the floor!! Drink water. It seems to help with jet lag. Dress in light weight layers so you can put on or take off layers depending on how you feel. Splurge on a couple gossip rags to help pass the time. Bring some lite snacks. I like trail mix. Gum or mints help with dry mouth. Disposable handiwipes. Try Googling a travel store like Magellan's and see what they offer. It might give you some good ideas.

I always feel like I could stand and hold a strap the entire trip OVER and be OK. It's the trip home that is so painful and always ALWAYS so long. See if you can use your frequent flyer miles for just the trip home if you can't swing the round trip.

And don't forget to take some onboard snapshots of you and your travel mates. You will be glad when you get home! MG

Another vote for noise-cancelling headphones. They make such a difference by blocking out the droning engine noise. All you hear is your music, or the movie. (Although they don't cancel out crying babies very well, due to the varying frequency of baby wails!) I have the over-the-ear type, and Bose sell an on-the-ear type also. Somewhat expensive, but a good investment for stress reduction!

Lisa

Following on from judybee's post, check out the seatguru web site, not only for the proximity of your seats to lavatories/galleys etc, but to ensure that your legroom is not compromised by the video equipment box for the seat in front. Also avoid the seats just in front of an exit row, they don't recline. Trying to get some sleep sitting bolt upright is not easy!

I can recommend the Bose in-ear phones - very comfortable and great sound quality.

Thanks for starting this thread, I've got some great tips for our flights to Hawaii from the UK - only 18 hours!:eek:

It is very important to make sure you stay hydrated - although that means more trips to the lav. Your body will thank you.

I have mild Restless Legs - so I also take an OTC remedy for that. It makes me more comfortable - not to mention everyone sitting around me.

I agree about the ear phones. I usually take a book on tape (or CD). That's usually more entertaining than a movie. Or...sometimes it puts me to sleep, which is also a good thing.

I saw some ladies doing crocheting. Not sure how they got the hooks past security.

In this case...focus on the destination. and have a wonderful time.

I have checked with seat guru (great website) and our seats are just ok, not bad not the best. I've moved us 2 times already. We are in the row with 2 seats only, so I'll only have to climb over DH to get out to the isle. Right now there are only 2 seats left on our plane in "cattle car" so no more moving.

I've never heard of pressure socks. What are they and how do they work?

Thanks for the idea of the facial cloths, I'm definitely going to do that.

I'm going to check into the Blue Oil also.

Does anyone have any kind of special carryon suitcase that they like. I found one that has wheels and a pull handle, a small pullout item holder with a hanger that I think I'll put toiletries in to use on the plane and several compartments for snacks, knitting, book, etc. I found it at Kohls. I think that it would fit under the seat in front of me for easier access but it won't leave much foot room.

I don't plan to take a purse instead I'll put the essentials, wallet, lipstick, passport, etc. in this bag. I find that a purse just gets in the way. That will limit me to carrying/pulling only one small bag. I'll use a fanny pack in Venice and on the cruise. Anyone have any other bag that they like to carry on board?

Thanks for all the wonderful tips!

It is very important to make sure you stay hydrated - although that means more trips to the lav. Your body will thank you.

I have mild Restless Legs - so I also take an OTC remedy for that. It makes me more comfortable - not to mention everyone sitting around me.

I agree about the ear phones. I usually take a book on tape (or CD). That's usually more entertaining than a movie. Or...sometimes it puts me to sleep, which is also a good thing.

I saw some ladies doing crocheting. Not sure how they got the hooks past security.

Believe it or not, they take away my finger nail scissors, but they let my 24 inch knitting needles on board!

I agree with the others who have said to make sure you keep yourself hydrated. We were on a long flight from SF to Hong Kong (14 hrs) and I couldn't figure out why I was so puffy. The flight attendant said that flying long distances causes it, and to always drink plenty of water while traveling.

Also, make sure you get up occasionally and walk around. I have heard that sitting for too long can cause blood clots. Not sure about that, though, but just to be on the safe side, walk around for a while. Anyway, have a great trip!

I find the space underneath the seats seems smaller every time so I carry my stuff in one of those purses/sacs that you wear kinda like a backpack with one wide strap that you wear across your chest. Mine has velcro so I can easily take it off.

It shoves easily under the seat in front and still leaves room for my feet.

You need to ensure you have any of the restricted items( e.g. blue oil, creams, etc. -- check the TSA site for the list) in the proper sized zip lock bag. People with the wrong size bag have had to throw their stuff out.

The ziplock bag has to be put on the security belt separate from your other stuff. The TSA site is excellent for describing the new process. Generally in the USA we are required to take our shoes off and place them on the security belt as well so I wear my orthodic sandals which have good support for walking but are easy on and off.

With the bag I take, my hands are free for water bottles (purchased post security screening area) and tickets/passports.

Glad you liked the idea of taking the face cloth in a baggie -- it is also great on excursions just to cool you off or freshen up.

You are lucky you are at least at Delta's hub. We are flying Ottawa to Montreal to Munich to Rome.

Also, make sure you get up occasionally and walk around. I have heard that sitting for too long can cause blood clots. Not sure about that, though, but just to be on the safe side, walk around for a while. Anyway, have a great trip!

The blood clot problem is absolutely true! A friend of mine who is even a few years younger had to be hospitalized with blood clots after a return trip from Europe. She is okay now, but it was scary for awhile.

Do get up and move around every couple hours as well as doing foot circles and other simple exercises to keep the blood flowing well. AND drink LOTS of water!!

I find the space underneath the seats seems smaller every time so I carry my stuff in one of those purses/sacs that you wear kinda like a backpack with one wide strap that you wear across your chest. Mine has velcro so I can easily take it off.

It shoves easily under the seat in front and still leaves room for my feet.

You need to ensure you have any of the restricted items( e.g. blue oil, creams, etc. -- check the TSA site for the list) in the proper sized zip lock bag. People with the wrong size bag have had to throw their stuff out.

The ziplock bag has to be put on the security belt separate from your other stuff. The TSA site is excellent for describing the new process. Generally in the USA we are required to take our shoes off and place them on the security belt as well so I wear my orthodic sandals which have good support for walking but are easy on and off.

With the bag I take, my hands are free for water bottles (purchased post security screening area) and tickets/passports.

Glad you liked the idea of taking the face cloth in a baggie -- it is also great on excursions just to cool you off or freshen up.

You are lucky you are at least at Delta's hub. We are flying Ottawa to Montreal to Munich to Rome.

Just one quesiton. What kind of cloth do you use? Do you just wet a wash cloth or is there something that you buy and then throw away?

I take a face cloth from home. When I get where I am going I take it out of the bag, rinse it out and let it dry then I just keep re-using it along the way. We took an 8 1/2 month trip around the world in the mid-nineties (by airplane) and I could probably write a book on the uses I had for that face cloth. I even drenched it with water at one point and used it on my head during searing heat in Alice Springs Australia.:D

for luggage, I use Travel Pro wheeled luggage. http://www.luggageonline.com/product.cfm?product_ID=7182

I've had cheaper ones but they just don't compare. The material is sturdier, the handle is longer, and it just "feels right."

Now, how I pack my carry on is as such:

It's such a hassle finally making it to my seat to try to secure the space above my head before someone else gets it, and at the same time, remove those items that I want at my seat. So inside my carry-on I pack one of those new "gymsacks." [/url]

I place all my "seat" items - magazines/books, a bottle of water, tissues, headphones, toiletries, etc, in that and just pull it out when I arrive at my seat. (Just don't forget the liquids rule by TSA. You can pack this in the gymsack AFTER you clear security; there will be plenty of time before boarding just based on how far in advance they want you to arrive at the airport.)

Inside my gymsack, I have a small toiletry bag with a BIG safety pin attached to the zipper pull. As long as the seats aren't leather, I pin the little toiletry bag to the seat in front of me. In it, I place my contact lens stuff, small hand lotion, small hand sanitizer, toothbrush/paste, old - but clean washcloth, mints, headache meds, etc.

I also take:

my own fleece blanket (some folks take a pashima (sp) shawl but I find it's not big and heavy enough to keep me warm;

blow up pillow;

slipper socks (and wear slip on shoes for trips to the rest room);

at least one bottle of water pp (b'c it sometimes takes awhile before the flight attendants bring beverages down the aisle);

NO Jet Lag (available from Magellans) http://www.magellans.com/store/Health___Personal_Care___Jet_Lag_PreventionIF398?Args=

Since I'm only 5'3", I like to put my feet up on my gym sack which I find more comfortable then letting them hang.

We eat a light dinner before boarding and forgo the airline food so we can sack out immediately upon takeoff while others are still getting settled with their airline food dinner (which may or may not be appetizing).

Re the compression socks, DH & I wore them once. We bought the kind from a drug store . After a couple of hours, the socks were cutting into our skin :eek: . We cruised with a pharmacist who said that we should have gotten Rx and been measured for those socks by a professional rather than buying them over the counter! Now, we don't bother - we definitely wake each other up after 3 hours (if we're lucky) to ensure we're walking to prevent DVT. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000156.htm

You'll do fine.

I also have mild restless legs, which seem to get worse on an airplane, what kind of an OTC to you take for relief?

Mary Lou

Kass,

I also use a CPAP machine, and was wonderig not so much about using it on the plane (I guess I will try some sleeping pills), but I hate to lose my carry-on bag because I have to carry it on. Carry-on items are at such a premium...I hate to lose the space.

Kerry

I have severe sleep apnea and normally use a cpap machine to sleep. I am worried about how I will get any sleep on our overnight flight without it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

You can purchase Breath Strips at the drug store. That helps keep the nostrals open so you won't snore and should help get you some aire.

Archived